SE Finecast 1920 Vauxhall 30/98 E Type Sports Car 1/24

Having never built an all white metal kit before I had no idea what to expect. Would the castings be rough and require a lot of cleaning up? Would the fit be poor with vague placements? None of these concerns apply to this kit from SE Finecast, in fact I'd say that the engineering quality is equal to mainstream injection moulded plastic kits. The only problem I experienced was the fit of the bonnet, but I've had that problem with plastic kits too.

A little about the car. Powered by a four cylinder 4.5L engine developing 100 BHP at 2800 RPM, capable of 85 MPH and considered to be one the best of the early sports cars. 

366534d1-9e7d-4c09-8b2a-f0694544c932.jpg

b5748639-0b47-46b3-956d-5d353d4f865f.jpg

No decal are supplied in the kit. The number plates are made up from some left over from another build.

11d6e4ce-b5d9-4683-897d-7d38e9e76c79.jpg

No headlight lenses either. I had to cut them out from a small sheet of clear acetate (supplied in the kit), not easy. The same goes for the split windscreen.

c54bfc49-7fe3-4771-bae9-0f1aa4813ac2.jpg

b740e87c-5607-42d2-b15b-6aa69250380b.jpg

8ba31b68-080a-4eba-81bc-94bd43eb1cc5.jpg

4c351134-d450-437d-8c2d-96d72cdd98a6.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Steve

• Like 6

Steve,

you have done a wonderful job of that old white metal kit. Some of the SEF kits are really knocking on in years now. Frankly, I am surprised so many of the moulds are still usable. I know a lot of the current catalogue is not available (shown by the £0.00 on the price list)

I have built a few of the race car kits and find the change in media quite refreshing. Good to hear your build did not give you any trouble, judging by the result.

Nice colour combination as well, good stuff.

Atb, Steve.

Very nice build indeed, and a great car. I have a couple of SE Finecasts in the stash, and they do look very nicely detailed and well engineered. I might dig out the SS100. Talking of stopping, isn't the 30/98 one of those early Vauxhalls that only had wheel brakes on one set and some kind of friction brake on the prop-shaft? I'm sure i read a hair-raising tale of driving one across Europe in Octane a couple of years back...

Lovely job!

best,

M.

• Like 1

Nothing's as bad as a Bugatti on brakes.  He was scared the front brakes would rip the axle clean off the springs which, with great elegance and little engineering accumen, went through holes in the axle!  In fact by standards of the time the Vauxhall stopped as well as it went, which was a lot better than the 3 Litre Bentley of many years later.

So nice to see one of Dave Ellis's kits being made. I have an old chum who Dave reckons is the only customer for any of these w/m kits he has in any one year!  They are so full of soul compared with the perfect "so what" plastics, none of which cover these lovely subjects.  Dave has the masters, but has to decide if it's worth making another mould for something he may sell one of in a year!  He's also looking to retire soon. He may sound 35 on the 'phone, but he's over 70 now!

Don't forget these are the  original AutoKits from Auto Models of Finsbury Pavement, London in the 60s. They were always cast by Wills Finecast, the metal side of which was then bought by Dave (South Eastern Finecast) years ago.

Nice job too.

Martin

• Like 1

Nice build!

Before you put in the cabinet, I'd suggest making a couple of blocks to support the model. The white metal is a little soft, and after a couple of years the suspension will sag.

• Like 1