M667/752 Lance Missile SPL

This kit is a mixed bag. Lots of missing or simplified details and some stuff they just got wrong. But it is a model of the M667/752 and as a proud graduate of the Lance Missile Course I just have to build it.

BKrIDrg.jpg

The kit missile parts resemble the nuclear warhead and the flight control surfaces are closer in size for that type warhead so I'll go with that and scribe the missing access panel as shown.

6JUmIqg.jpg

QbA0KBO.jpg

3TsKPOM.jpg

The kit control surfaces are missing some shapes but are closer to the correct size than the Hobby Fan items.

YdZoQtj.jpg

EthsTHz.jpg

VXzO6BY.jpg

5Hr1Wy8.jpg

prIVorB.jpg

Assembly of the launcher truss assembly.

jof5vfV.jpg

Adding some details to the control surfaces.

D0CJNUd.jpg

MpGK4im.jpg

kfOLKoQ.jpg

The main launcher truss assembly finished. Note what appear to be empty racks. Dragon did zero research and just omitted some very prominent equipment storage cases.

TtXwCUz.jpg

81DeDu1.jpg

r1mcBh2.jpg

wo9h6Id.jpg

1vQ92UE.jpg

Test fitting the main body parts. Fit is very good.

b7YRltJ.jpg

drsFkfA.jpg

CmZAgAn.jpg

Fins (control surfaces) added to the missile body.

4Z8byDy.jpg

TZtSzpC.jpg

EIaNdPS.png

Dragon does give you the two storage cases for the control surfaces. They are woefully undersize. So I decided to give it a shot to make them at least look the part.

wuuXb15.jpg

Dragon provide the front cradle rest but shows it mounted to the engine deck. It's not correct. There is a large metal frame bolted to the floor and the cradle is mount to that.

jksTBfs.jpg

lVj5LrV.jpg

aTDNVvO.jpg

gxPYfYx.jpg

oZt1lCE.jpg

Just made up some equipment storage cases. Can't vouch for their accuracy but they look the part until I can find some pictures of the real thing.

• Like 4

Will have to completely redo this item. I used the support beam from the Hobby Fan kit as a template but it turns out to be way too tall to fit correctly on the Dragon kit. The hull dimensions are different between the two kits.

All of this needs to be scrapped.

QtpCTD3.jpg

The part from the Hobby Fan kit.

AZmPAL1.jpg

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's looking good so far. One thing that you can practically guarantee is that whatever you do to this, nobody will be able to dispute it. :D

John.

:D Very true. Not many Lance Missile crewmen out there.

• Like 1

Just need to add the large equipment box on the launch truss frame.

p4B0iq8.jpg

Finally have the forward cradle and frame finished and attached.

MELt025.jpg

dby2XNY.jpg

Added some wire screens to the engine deck.

crCeFuH.jpg

The drivers compartment is not glued down yet, still need to added the instruments and a bunch of data placards. Seat cushions also need painting.

Edited by arkbuilder2012
Added text
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's some of the small things that are bogging me down. In this case it's the bench type seats in the 'fighting compartment'. During my limited exposure to the M752/667 I don't recall any of those details and as best I can see from the pictures is that they were hinged and folded up. What I don't know is if the hinge was a single long steel rod attached to metal tabs welded to the side walls or small individual metal pins.

The kit items modified by shortening their overall length to fit the kit interior, and adding small extensions for the hinge sections.

FgHZ3jm.jpg

The hinge sections added and each has been drilled out.

GkgmnmQ.jpg

• Like 1

Test fit on one of the crew bench seats. The brackets will be cut to size so the edge of the seat rests back from the edge. Still not real sure of the seats period as I can't find any pictures of them installed and I don't have any relevant TM' that might show this stuff.

uZFm7T8.jpg

Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 08:37 AM GMT+7
I just found out the reason you don’t see those bench seats in any operational pictures is they were removed. Crews didn’t like them and they interfered with the control surface containers. They were light weight metal not wood. I think that solves my dilemma, leaving the things but will add the metal tabs the seats were mounted to.