This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

41 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

Should there be a few stencils here and there?

There are some stencils, refueling points etc, but from the pictures I have found of Finnish DO-17's they seem to have very few indeed and those they do have are in areas covered by the temporary white such as the top of the wing centre-section. Luftwaffe ones have some stencils, but not that many either, and the views I have seen of Finnish ones which have been re-painted (like mine) definitely don't have the German stencils or any Finnish equivalents in the same locations.

The weathering is now complete and I am quite pleased with how it looks, the main work involved was the addition of some exhaust staining and some dirtying of some of the white camo paint. Here's a picture of how she looks at the minute;

37401704050_501ccb8f08_o_d.jpg

And a close up of some of the exhaust staining;

37401705870_40efef8fde_o_d.jpg

One of the best parts of being near the end of a build is when the canopy masking can come off, it really brings the aircraft to life.

23806746478_38ae976d91_o_d.jpg

The engines have now been fitted into place and here's a couple of pics of them before the cowls were fitted;

23806752208_eabeffdcd7_o_d.jpg

37401719350_7df5730d7e_o_d.jpg

And with a cowl fitted;

23806754728_060ceef5a0_o_d.jpg

I have also fitted the wheels and mudguards to the undercarriage legs;

23806757328_4f8bb3ffb6_o_d.jpg

And these have now been loosely fitted to the struts which were fitted earlier in the build;

37401723340_1c1316a7d7_o_d.jpg

When dry I will get the front legs properly aligned on the bulkhead in the nacelle and fixed in position.

Next job will be to try and fix the previously removed barrels to the MG-15's followed by the painting and assembly of the propellers and then fixing a strange looking device to the top of the canopy which I'm assuming is some kind of aerial as it is in place of the DF loop aerial. Not sure if it should be painted or left clear as I can't find any decent close up pictures of it and any help here would be greatly appreciated. Feels like it's getting close to the end!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

It really is looking ace up to yet craig, great job 

It just keeps getting better and better Well done 

Martin H

That's a lovely finish and impressively neat masking on the canopy. I also like the exhaust stains, how did you do them?

Having seen this last night, I can confirm it looks even better in the flesh. Cracking job Craig and they keep getting better and better.

i love the weathering and subtle tones of the paintwork

andy

Thanks for your very kind words guys, they are very much appreciated.

Nigel, for the exhaust stains I used Gunze Soot, which gives a very nice not-quite-black colour, and then added some Vallejo Earth brown to the mix and went over the stains again (but only lightly) to give a little bit of tonal variety to the stains, seems to work quite well and I am glad you like them.

You mean you airbrushed them? Freehand? Impressive if so.

3 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

You mean you airbrushed them? Freehand? Impressive if so.

Yes mate they are airbrushed and no I'm not an expert at it, a fair bit of practicing over the years.

Lovely work Craig, the detailed cockpit is clearly visible now that the masking is off and all of that early work is now paying dividends. Very nice weathering too, subtle enough to make that bit of difference, something that eludes me at the present. I often threaten to give this skill a go but usually chicken out at the last minute for fear of spoiling my model, maybe one day.