Minion's Finnish-ed pencil

I just caught up with this Craig.

I like the early Dornier pencils, E to Z.

I have to stick to 1/72 as we only have a small bungalow, not much space for models. Your build is giving me ideas for a little detailing of 1/72 kits :)

Any Scandinavian aviation subject gets my interest too.

Great interior detailing :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comments guys, they are much appreciated.

35 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I like the early Dornier pencils, E to Z.

So do I Tony and I'm hoping that ICM will get around to doing some of the very early ones such as the E,F and M as there are some great schemes out there for them.

• Like 1

A bit more progress to report.

After finishing off the cockpit it was time to join the fuselage halves together and they went together with no trouble at all with just a small amount of filler needed on the join which could be as much to do with me as anything ICM have done, here is a look at the closed up cockpit area;

36402156772_2be9932d20_o_d.jpg

And the area behind the IP showing my dodgy attempt at adding some airing to the back of it.

36402160742_2cf5aa53d5_o_d.jpg

And an overall shot of the fuselage;

35735709084_d5abbcc9af_o_d.jpg

I have also built up both of the tail sections and have posed the control surfaces slightly moved for a bit more interest;

35735702034_d415773c23_o_d.jpg

And I have made a start on the engine supports and undercarriage, quite nicely detailed out of the box;

35735700064_fc8b9f4671_o_d.jpg

And I have added the landing light, which means I can now get on with the wings;

36523890796_0b01d277b6_o_d.jpg

That's it for today, off to carry on with the wings!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looks really good now the cockpit is all together, it looks like a  nice kit craig, are all the control surfaces posable or have you cut them, 

Glynn

Thanks Glynn,

It is a nice kit, there is scope for far more detail than I have added but OOTB it makes for a nice replica and the control surfaces all come separate so you can pose them how you like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the very kind comments guys, and sorry for the long delay in updates as I've been on long shifts and could either spend time modelling or updating and I chose modelling. So let's have a look at what has happened since the last update. The wings have been assembled and the finished wings have been attached to the fuselage.

36728736071_f2e2952b38_b_d.jpg

The fit was mostly good but there was one area of concern and that is the joint just behind the cockpit on the upper surfaces which had quite a gap, this is how it looked;

36697681642_c8eae2b3d5_o_d.jpg

After filling the gap with some stretched sprue and then some filler and a fair amount of sanding later this is how the area looks now;

36729126031_27ea970f50_o_d.jpg

Much better! 

The engine nacelles and undercarriage bays have also been built up and added and OOTB they are quite good and have just received some paint and a wash and drybrushing and then they could be assembled. They build up by adding the 4 sides, the rear wall having first had the struts for the undercarriage added, which gives you an interior box like this;

36697685672_85d5bcf08e_o_d.jpg

To which you then add one half of the nacelle which has the engine mount added to it;

36728763521_a258b0e382_o_d.jpg

You then add the other half of the nacelle once this has dried, these built up quite well with only a small amount of filler needed where they meet the wing;

36729138671_131e6f55c7_o_d.jpg

As you can just about see the join under the wing is very good, here is a better picture of it;

36034241154_bc24fce3e8_o_d.jpg

Whilst all this was going on I also added the parts of the tail assembly. These also fitted very well with a small gap on the undersides (easily taken car of) and a very good fit on the top and really help the model to begin to look a lot more like a Do-17 now that they are in place, here are a couple of pics of the assembled tail planes and how the airframe looks now;

36729132531_f260e57d89_o_d.jpg

36729112021_e02d5aae52_o_d.jpg

Looking much more like a Do-17 now.

I have made a start on the engines as well and these are also good OOTB and are quite well detailed, this is because ICM give you the option of having the cowlings open to reveal the engines inside which is a very nice touch. I have decided to have them closed on my model so will not be adding any extra detail to the engines than comes in the box, to be fair with the cowlings closed you will see next to nothing anyway, here are a couple of shots of one of the engines and the front cowling assembly;

36868859875_88d33efa69_o_d.jpg

36868861495_d5b15a80cf_o_d.jpg

As you can see not bad OOTB. ICM give you the option of 2 different types of exhaust but do not tell you which is to be used on which aircraft and it is up to you to do some research as to which type is fitted, fortunately I found a picture of the aircraft I am building which shows the exhaust type required so my next task will be fitting that, after opening up the ends on it a bit.

That's it for today, thanks for looking and as always all comments and criticisms are gratefully received, and I will try to not take so long before the next update!

Craig.

• Like 12

It's looking superb Craig :thumbsup2: 

This looks like a very nice kit to build; the level of detail OOB is superb and the panel lines are nicely restrained.

Your cockpit detailing is really good :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

You've painted the engines up really well, good job on the assembly too, i like this, 

I've  got the 1/48 icm heinkel 126, which ive had a ponder over several times and that looks nicely detailed too, you're making me feel  like there's going too be a german ww2

Spell approaching :P

Glynn 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the prolonged delay inn updates (again!) but this time I have a reasonable excuse as there was a family holiday involved. I have also spent time building rather than updating which means that this is a rather photo heavy update.

Lets start with the aircraft itself, I have added the engine supports to the wings to which the engines will be fitted later, they fit nicely and line up well and will ensure that the cowling fit in the correct orientation, here they are;

37056114232_3434b65d47_b_d.jpg

Two small cooler intakes are then added to the side of the nacelles, and again fit and align with no problems.

36390735104_6cdaf29553_b_d.jpg

The engines themselves have been completed and painted and I have drilled out the ends of the exhausts for a bit more added realism, these really are great little representations of the real thing and could be made to look superb with some wire added for leads etc but as mine will be closed up I decided I have done enough on them, here are a couple of pics of the finished items;

36830266310_614a3be67e_b_d.jpg

37085284321_b44bce4a93_b_d.jpg

I have deviated from the instructions a fair bit here and am not fitting the engines until after the painting is completed. The instructions have you build up the cowling around the installed engines but as this would not work with what I wanted to do I tried to build them separately and see if they can be fitted to the mounts for painting and then removed later for fitting the engines, and I am very pleased to say that this indeed easily done with no modifications needed at all and that the completed cowlings fit very snuggly into place on the mountings. Here is a picture of one of the cowlings, the other is (strangely enough) identical.

36830269380_b77818cea9_b_d.jpg

Next up was the kit supplied MG-15's and very nice they are too! The only thing I have done is too drill out the centre of the ring portion of the sight which is moulded solid. The instructions would have you paint the metal cartridge collection tins under the guns in a metallic colour but this is wrong as they should be RLM 02, here are a couple of pics of them after painting;

36413550053_c4c105a0b4_b_d.jpg

36413551343_a001abdff8_b_d.jpg

Nice as these are (and they are) this is where I started to meet a couple of prooblems, the first of which is that they don't fit through the holes in the glazing! A bit important this. What I have had to do is cut of the barrels (and put them somewhere safe) so that I can glue them back on after the painting. The next problem is that ICM have not quite finished the moulding on the side ports for the guns on the main canopy as you can see in the picture below.

36830275110_679f2c6000_b_d.jpg

A little bit of drilling and filing and all was well again and I could fit the main parts of the guns to the canopy and other gun positions, here they are fitted to the main canopy;

36413554633_54b50bbdca_b_d.jpg

Looking at the rear area of the canopy there would not be much room to fire more than one gun at a time.

36830278890_9eb7c96873_b_d.jpg

Pretty cramped eh!

Thats it for today folks, next job is to get all the clear parts fitted and sort out the camera mod to be fitted under the forward fuselage. Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 12

Hi Craig. Looks like excellent progress to me. I do like what you have done with engines and drilling out the exhausts really improves the appearance. And good idea about installing the engines later - glad it works that way. You certainly are doing wonders with this kit. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Thanks guys, glad you like the progress so far and thanks for all the kind comments.

A bit more progress to report.

All the glazing has been fitted and it went on quite well with only a small amount of filler required in one spot on the main canopy and a couple of small areas on the lower front glazing, this has all now been given a coat of RLM02 this morning prior to the actual camo colours going on later and this is how it looks;

36507587543_55bb1be1de_b_d.jpg

I have also made the camera port required for this version of the Do-17, I made this from a small piece of plastic tubing cut to size and with the end covered by a piece of plastic sheet as the pictures of them I have found (like the one kindly posted above by @bbudde) show them to be covered, at least while on the ground anyway, so here is what it looks like after also being given a coat of RLM 02;

37130952886_bef3fa0c31_b_d.jpg

Looks like I need to do a small amount of tidying up on it but I am quite happy with how it looks.

Thats it for today, off to work soon, thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 12