Minion's Finnish-ed pencil

It’s really looking good now Craig. All the ICM kits I’ve tried have had very good engine and gun detail, no need for after market parts.

This one is clearly the same; the engines look superb. 

You have a steady hand to be able to drill out the sights in those guns :o!

Looking forward to the next instalment :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

The canopy did take a bit of masking but wasn't too bad as ICM's framing is done quite well which makes the job a lot easier.

Hi @Nigel Heath, glad you like the engines. In my opinion they are amongst the nicest kit supplied engines I have ever used and are very well detailed.

17 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

You have a steady hand to be able to drill out the sights in those guns :o!

It was certainly interesting Tony! A lot of holding breath and squinting!

Hope to spend some more time on her this weekend (at work at the minute) so hopefully there will be some more progress soon.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Yes the pencil is looking very sharp

Very good Glynn!

Well as I hoped I managed to get some quality time with the airbrush today. Following the decal instructions and other references I found online I decided to paint the undersides in RLM-65, that's alright (I thought) as I've got some of that, indeed I have, a pot of Xtracrylix RLM-65. When I opened it and mixed it I thought it was a little bright but thought that it would tone down a bit when sprayed on, how wrong I was!

36622455453_766c2f4263_o_d.jpg

A bit lurid isn't it! And there was no way I could live with that being permanently in place as I would have to wear sunglasses in the house, so what to do about it? After a bit of rummaging through the paint collection I found an unopened pot of Aeromaster Finnish undersides blue! So I decided to use it to lighten the centre of the panels and then give the whole undersides a misting to try and tone things down a bit, and I must say I am quite pleased with the results, the following photo's aren't the best but I hope you get the idea.

37262814652_07e85c7eb2_o_d.jpg

37036299080_3fac07250f_o_d.jpg

That looks better, sunglasses away!

Next job will be to mask up the areas for the Eastern Front yellow ID markings, for which I will be using another unopened pot of Aeromaster paint, this time Finnish ID yellow! Isn't it amazing the things you find that you forgot you had. After that will come the uppersurfaces, and no I haven't got any Finnish uppersurface olive green (trust me I have looked!) so I will have to use something close. Next will come the black elements of the camo scheme which will then have to be painted over with the temporary white, which will be weathered a bit to show the black in places.

That's it for today so thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 11

Extremely impressive. As others already said, the engines, cockpit and gear are little gems. It all looks like a fragile lattice- just like on the real thing.

Can you share a few words on how you mask the interior surface of a cockpit? I typicall do the outside and paint the inner color first, but I can see the advantage to doing it the way you did, in some cases. I got a mosquito that can use this treatment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Can you share a few words on how you mask the interior surface of a cockpit? I typicall do the outside and paint the inner color first

That is exactly what I did do, there are very few occasions when I have actually painted the interior of the canopy and would not attempt it on something as complicated as some of the glazing on the Do-17. If I remember correctly there is some internal framing on the Mossie visible from the outside which is only on the inside of the canopy.

Lovely blue! You know the Do-17 was the first plane in our WW2 air force that had light blue undersides, and it was considered superior (the colour, that was) compared to previous more or less grey shades, so it was decided to produce a domestic equivalent to match the RLM 65, which they did too. It was named the "DN- väri" or "DN- colour" because of its origins, the DN- bombers. So feel free to use the 65!

• Like 3

Managed to get a bit more time in on the Dornier and things are going okay.

The yellow was sprayed with no problem, in fact it almost seemed pre-thinned and didn't even attempt to clog the airbrush, not like Aeromaster at all! Here is a shot of one of the theatre markings under one of the wings;

36707637573_060ed5e832_o_d.jpg

The blutak is there because I have masked off the undersides and made a start on the upper surfaces, starting with the green. Finnish olive green is a matter of much discussion but I have settled on Gunze H320 (mostly because I have some) and it looks okay to my eye. I have roughly sprayed the areas which will remain green and given the panel lines a bit of post shading by simply applying more of the same colour to them than the rest of the panels, some of them need going over again but hopefully you get the idea from the picture below;

23525645548_2c0f19cd1f_o_d.jpg

And a closer look at the port wing;

36707634183_cbbf81bcef_o_d.jpg

I will have another go tomorrow and then mask up ready for the black areas, which I plan to use Tamiya NATO black for so that I can get some tone variation and a similar panel line effect as I have with the green.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 9

Well after a lot of masking and a little bit of painting the upper surfaces are pretty much complete. Instead of the Tamiya NATO black I said I was going to use for the black areas of the camo scheme I decided to use Gunze tyre black which worked really well, which you will have to take my word for as I didn't take any photos!

Next job was to apply some white over the black (hiding it nicely!) for which I again used Gunze and it went on very nicely but took a few coats to get a colour density I am happy with, probably because it's covering black. Anyway apart from a few areas which require touch ups (there are always some) the main painting is pretty much complete, here is a picture of how she looks at the minute;

37390090226_fa40b010fa_o_d.jpg

And a closer image of the main area of the upper wing showing my attempt at shading;

37390096416_0430fe5e2e_o_d.jpg

After completing the touch ups I will start the decalling and then the weathering.

That's it for today so thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 12

On 10/3/2017 at 8:09 PM, Nigel Heath said:

The shading and the overall scheme looks really good. I'm looking forward to the decals and weathering.

Cheers Nigel, I'm looking forward to the decalling and weathering too. Not had any time to do anything this week due to work but hope to make some progress over the weekend.

23 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Nailing it Craig, the camo in particular looks fantastic!

David

Thanks David glad you like her, you know I have a liking for winter camo schemes after my Cobra.

22 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looking a bit special now that Craig, 

Thanks Glynn much appreciated, hope to get a bit more done soon.

• Like 2

Sorry for the late arrival Craig, I've just spent a pleasant 45mins reading through your build. Great subject and fabulous build, the cockpit will look very impressive under all that glass and I agree with that the kit engines are some of the nicest ones out there in this scale. Looking forward to seeing more.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2017 at 11:27 AM, nimrod54 said:

Sorry for the late arrival Craig, I've just spent a pleasant 45mins reading through your build. Great subject and fabulous build, the cockpit will look very impressive under all that glass and I agree with that the kit engines are some of the nicest ones out there in this scale. Looking forward to seeing more.

That's alright John, glad that you have popped along and even more pleased that you like what you have seen so far.

Had a (well deserved) day off work today and managed to grab some time at the modelling bench which I spent giving the whole airframe a going over with micromesh to smooth it down before the gloss coat gets put on for the decals. I also used the micromesh to weather the white paint in some areas to show the black paint which is underneath, here is a picture of her so far;

37506716042_d565b3a32c_o_d.jpg

You can see an area of black paint that I have added to the fuselage which I should have added earlier.

36827990494_651aa9807f_o_d.jpg

And here is a close up of the leading edge of the stbd wing showing the weathering that reveals the black paint.

23685554218_07549b99d0_o_d.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to start the decalling tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 9

The decals are done! And very nice they are too.

This is my first time using decals by SBS Models and I'm really impressed with them, they are very thin (more on that later) and settle down excellently into the recessed detail of the kit. Now as I mentioned they are very thin which unfortunately means they are a bit translucent on the white area and will show the camo colours underneath so your are forewarned, either use a white circle decal underneath or mask and paint a circle. Of course I found this out after applying the first decal so it was too late for white paint on some of the markings but I did do it for others, but with the decals being so thin the second snuggled down over the first with no problems at all and hid the colours underneath nicely. Now a big bonus here is the fact that SBS Models give you enough national markings to build all the options on the sheet, well done SBS, so I still have enough for another 2 DO-17's should I decide to build any more. Any way enough waffle here are some pictures, starting with an overall shot of the upper-surfaces;

37546742806_933c7b07ba_o_d.jpg

A close up of the national marking on the top of the stbd wing showing how nicely the decals (and remember there are 2 applied here) settle into the recessed detail;

37563518162_97ccd08840_o_d.jpg

And the stbd fuselage markings;

37563525592_4f2235882a_o_d.jpgmar

And the units "farting Elk" and mission markings on the port vertical tailplane;

37563529862_0bbc0871d0_o_d.jpg

You just have to love a farting Elk! Unless you're standing behind it I suppose, or in a lift with it, though why anyone would be sharing a lift with a flatulent (or otherwise) Elk I don't know. Any way that's it for today, off to make a start on further weathering.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticism are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3