Minion's Finnish-ed pencil

41 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

Should there be a few stencils here and there?

There are some stencils, refueling points etc, but from the pictures I have found of Finnish DO-17's they seem to have very few indeed and those they do have are in areas covered by the temporary white such as the top of the wing centre-section. Luftwaffe ones have some stencils, but not that many either, and the views I have seen of Finnish ones which have been re-painted (like mine) definitely don't have the German stencils or any Finnish equivalents in the same locations.

• Like 1

The weathering is now complete and I am quite pleased with how it looks, the main work involved was the addition of some exhaust staining and some dirtying of some of the white camo paint. Here's a picture of how she looks at the minute;

37401704050_501ccb8f08_o_d.jpg

And a close up of some of the exhaust staining;

37401705870_40efef8fde_o_d.jpg

One of the best parts of being near the end of a build is when the canopy masking can come off, it really brings the aircraft to life.

23806746478_38ae976d91_o_d.jpg

The engines have now been fitted into place and here's a couple of pics of them before the cowls were fitted;

23806752208_eabeffdcd7_o_d.jpg

37401719350_7df5730d7e_o_d.jpg

And with a cowl fitted;

23806754728_060ceef5a0_o_d.jpg

I have also fitted the wheels and mudguards to the undercarriage legs;

23806757328_4f8bb3ffb6_o_d.jpg

And these have now been loosely fitted to the struts which were fitted earlier in the build;

37401723340_1c1316a7d7_o_d.jpg

When dry I will get the front legs properly aligned on the bulkhead in the nacelle and fixed in position.

Next job will be to try and fix the previously removed barrels to the MG-15's followed by the painting and assembly of the propellers and then fixing a strange looking device to the top of the canopy which I'm assuming is some kind of aerial as it is in place of the DF loop aerial. Not sure if it should be painted or left clear as I can't find any decent close up pictures of it and any help here would be greatly appreciated. Feels like it's getting close to the end!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 15

Having seen this last night, I can confirm it looks even better in the flesh. Cracking job Craig and they keep getting better and better.

i love the weathering and subtle tones of the paintwork

andy

• Like 1

Thanks for your very kind words guys, they are very much appreciated.

Nigel, for the exhaust stains I used Gunze Soot, which gives a very nice not-quite-black colour, and then added some Vallejo Earth brown to the mix and went over the stains again (but only lightly) to give a little bit of tonal variety to the stains, seems to work quite well and I am glad you like them.

• Thanks 1

Lovely work Craig, the detailed cockpit is clearly visible now that the masking is off and all of that early work is now paying dividends. Very nice weathering too, subtle enough to make that bit of difference, something that eludes me at the present. I often threaten to give this skill a go but usually chicken out at the last minute for fear of spoiling my model, maybe one day. 

• Like 1

Well she is finally done!

The final little bits took me an age (as usual) but she is finally completed. The propellers have been finished in RLM 70 the same as used by the Luftwaffe but with the addition of yellow tips which the Finn's use but the Germans didn't. They have been given a light weathering and a small amount of chipping added to the leading edges and rear faces but that is all. I have also added the aerial wire from the mast on top of the cockpit to the tail. Anyway here are some pictures of the finished article, with some more appearing in the Gallery section.

37808386161_72dc901b3b_o_d.jpg

37808388691_74c5462b9f_o_d.jpg

37776496972_66df6a983f_o_d.jpg

37137986083_bc2ef3a617_o_d.jpg

37776499532_40208049bc_o_d.jpg

I have thoroughly enjoyed this build and really must congratulate ICM on making an outstanding kit of this wonderful aircraft, and SBS models for making such fantastic decals of really great camo schemes, I have more of their sheets so expect more Finnish aircraft in the future, especially Airfix's new Blenheim when it comes out.

It only remains for me to thank our hosts for putting on this excellent GB and all of you guys who have watched, liked and encouraged the build along the way.

Craig.

• Like 11

A very nice looking model Craig. ICM and SBS may have supplied the wherewithal but the result is down to your skill in putting things together. It has been a pleasure to watch your progress, even though I picked things up late in the build.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

That's one fantastic looking model with very neat and tidy finishing all round.

Thanks Nigel, really glad you like her. It means a great deal coming from someone as talented as yourself. Are you coming down to Telford this year? If so the Dornier and I will be on the IPMS Mercia table and it would be great if you could pop along.

4 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

A very nice looking model Craig. ICM and SBS may have supplied the wherewithal but the result is down to your skill in putting things together. It has been a pleasure to watch your progress, even though I picked things up late in the build.

Thanks John, though you are far too kind with your praise.

2 hours ago, Grandboof said:

High quality model Congratulations on a top build 

Martin H

Thanks Martin, much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Nice edited title, as for the pencil, nah I've used that one, cracking mate, the scheme, the cockpit, the canopy painting, top drawer craig

Thanks Glynn glad you approve of both the model and the edit and please feel free to use as many pencil related jokes as you like.

1 hour ago, mirageiv said:

That really is a beauty Craig, I think it is hard to capture a proper 'scale look' but you nailed it again, superb :thumbsup2:  

Thanks Dave, really glad you like it.

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

Beautiful job, very neatly finished, and looks the part in those markings.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Cheers Davey, yes the markings do help to make her stand out don't they.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Are you coming down to Telford this year? If so the Dornier and I will be on the IPMS Mercia table and it would be great if you could pop along

Yes, I will be at Telford. I will actually be popping up as I'm now living in Dorset. I'll make a point of swinging by the IPMS Mercia table to see this in person and hope to catch you there. There should be a good selection of my latest models on the Aberdeen table.

Cheers,

Nigel 

• Like 1