Replacing Revell Titanic Masts With Something Stronger?

BluesModeller

Will be moving onto fitting the Masts to my 1/400 Titanic in the next couple of weeks and I'm not overly optimistic the styrene Masts are going to work with the rigging.  Way, way to much flex so no hope of doing nice, tight rigging.

I'm thinking of cannibalising a couple of paint brushes that are close to the size and shape I need.  Nothing a Dremel and some sandpaper won't take care of.

However, how to fit?  

What would be be the best glue to join wood and plastic?  CA?  Should I place a small block under the deck for the mast to sit in or something else?

Any way to strengthen the original kit Masts?

I know some have soldered brass rods of various diameters, but that's beyond me at the moment.  

If if any of you used or made replacement Masts for your models how did you go about it?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ordered some hardwood dowels.  Will see how I get on with the power drill and sandpaper method.

Best way to glue it to the deck?  Any thoughts?

I'll try to replicate the key that goes through the deck but I think it needs something more stable... More surface area for the glue.  Hmmm...