Ralph's Ra'am

SoftScience

This thread will document my attempt at the Academy F-15I. I'm not an eagle expert, so I can't speak to the kit's accuracy, but it looks nice and fun. Its been sitting in my stash for a few years, and this seems like a great opportunity to get it built. 

• Like 2

Is this the correct way to fit the intake trunks? They rest on a little lip on the inside of the fuselage part, which causes this huge gap at the bottom. Is that supposed to be there? As I said before - don't know much about the eagle.

IMG_20170730_131315307.jpg

Yes Academy's intakes SUCK!!

I normally use plasticard to fill the notches and lower lip were the holes are for the targeting pods....lots of cutting/gluing and filling to get something close to smooth intake tunnel.

9 times out of ten on my Academy Eagle's i just use some FOD Covers....lifes to short to mess with them too much.

Agreed, Mungo. 

I'm not going to be shining lights in there, but I test fit the intake and ramp, and this will do. I guess.

IMG_20170731_210712916_HDR.jpg

You'll notice I also snipped off some of the pointing tips -- to make it a true Israeli Eagle :D

The top and bottom are together, as is the spine behind the cockpit. Fit was less than perfect, and some sanding and filling will be required. But for now, its as Sir McCartney told us; live and let dry. 

IMG_20170731_213928441.jpg

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 4

On 8/6/2017 at 0:30 AM, Hewy said:

Fingers are crossed for you ss, I'm sure you'll be able to make it submit

Glynn

Thanks, Glynn. 

Slowly but surely, it is taking shape. The intake fit resulted in big steps at the bottom and sides. The sides are covered up by the CFTs. I put one on and then realized that the little vents on the sides of the intake are not visible on the Ra'am, so out came the filler again. 

The CFTs fit pretty well, but I applied a bit of Mr. Surfacer at the joint to level things out. It helps to sand away the sparrow mounts on the fuselage before adding these parts - something the instructions don't mention. I should be ready to fight the wing-joints soon. 

IMG_20170808_220307405.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 2:36 PM, Jabba said:

This one seems to be fighting you a bit, but I sure that so will better it.

Its just one of those kits. 

Things have been slow going with this model. Largely due to me having issues with rescribing lost surface detail. A task I abhor! 

All work on the main fuselage, CFTs, intakes, and tail extensions is now completed. 

The fit of the tail extensions was abysmal (I had a huge step along the compound curves of the inner surfaces, and it was pretty tricky shaping the filler. I still need to test with some paint, but I think they should be more or less correct now. 

IMG_20170821_210748381_HDR.jpg

Work started on the cockpit. Lots of artistic license here. 

IMG_20170821_210717280_HDR.jpg

• Like 2