Italeri F-51D Mustang 1/72

Hello all

This is my Italeri F-51D Mustang, and before I go on with the photos, there are a few things I would like to clear up first, The kit? The kit is pretty good, the only problem I had was the fit between the wings and the fuselage, but apart from that, went on a dream. Some of the yellow decals for the blue edges of the wingtips were slightly too long, but I forgot to cut them off, and I painted it with Humbrol 56 Aluminium and a mix of Aluminium and Silver. I also had my first attempt at some sort of weathering, by trying to create some panel colour variations (I don't know whether that counts as weathering so correct me if I'm wrong), and I also did some oil stains, which unfortunately aren't visible on these pictures. Overall, I feel it is pretty good, and that the colour variations on the fuselage were nice, but that I still have some way to go before my models reach the standard of those seen on Britmodeller. And so, on with the pictures

https://imgur.com/gallery/IXkZu

Kind Regards

BetaSingh

• Like 4

Nice kit you have there! However I'm not sure about this on your kit, but for tonal variations its better to do variations between panels, not just variations of the paintjob. But once again, I'm not 100 % sure you didn't do this on your plane 

Good job BetaSingh 👍 Its a good F-51 dont worry about the decals. You've probably trimmed them by now. That sort of thing comes over time, and i still forget little details like that until i photograph. Speaking of when you were inquiring about p-51 mustangs it got me interested in building the one i had in my stash. So i finished painting it today. Glued the canopy on and realised after id snapped a photo for a friend that i had forgotten to paint the coaming over the instrument panel:rage:. Oh well goes to show you we all can make mistakes. As for the Hs-129, harrier, or the Spitfire in you're other post. I say do what will keep your interest in the hobby and history going. Personally you cant go wrong with World War 2. Its such a period of innovation. We humans went from bi-planes to jets in just a few years. So whatever you pick is good. Worry about fit and detail later. Just practice and get comfortable with building the kits and the tools you need to work with. 

Keep it up

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle