Hawker Typhoon - Construction Details

1964rac

Hi,

I am about to start on the Airfix A19002 Hawker Typhoon, but this will be a museum restoration diorama.

Some of you may have seen my Heinkel He 111 on the model show circuit:

heinkel-10.jpg

I posted some pics back in May 2015:

Being new to modelling aircraft; figures, rusted vehicles & post apocalyptic are my usual thing, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some good reference material, books, websites etc, on construction of the real thing.

I want to make this diorama as accurate as possible, as much as some of you on here who have made the finished article.

I have Richard Franks "The Hawker Typhoon" book on modelling the Airfix 1/24 scale kit, which has some great pics of a real Typhoon in bits, this leads to some questions:

• Is the MkIb fabric, metal covered or a combination of both, is so which parts of the plane are covered in which material?
  • Where does the wing attach to the central fuselage, is it the same as the Hurricane?

As the build progresses, I'm sure I will have more questions, so suggestions, help greatly appreciated.

I will be starting a build thread on this project very soon and will post the link here.

Many thanks for reading this.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by 1964rac
Added a link to the build thread

Hi

I recommend any typhoon book by chris thomas,

They are excellent and he is the 'go to guy' on typhoons,

I think he advised airfix on the tech stuff for the 1:24 kit 

he sometimes comes on this board

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 2

Richard,

I second what Jerry has said about any Typhoon book by or co-authored by Chris Thomas; he's definitely the 'go to' bloke for all things relating to the Tiffie.

Also, you might want to consider acquiring the following two books:

How to build the 1/24th Airfix Typhoon by Brett Green from ADH publishing as well as the pilots notes for the Typhoon which is available from various sources; Amazon, Abe Books, RAF Museum et al.

HTH and good luck with the build.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98
  • Like 2

Cheers Guys,

I have downloaded the ADH app & have the magazine on my phone.

Also found this thread:

Great shots, gives me a few ideas for how the diorama could look like.

Cheers

Richard

Re the wing spar pick up points, we had a Tempest thread the other day, there are a number of pics in it posted by Troy that should come in helpful also re the Typhoon. May I also recommend Arthur Bentley 's drawings. 

7 hours ago, tango98 said:

You might also find a trawl through the on-line 'Flight' magazine archives which will often bring up some interesting and useful material e.g:

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1944/1944 - 0124.html?search=Hawker Typhoon

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for that, the article confirmed how the wings attach to the main fuselage.

I can make a start on the build, cool.

Richard

2 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Re the wing spar pick up points, we had a Tempest thread the other day, there are a number of pics in it posted by Troy that should come in helpful also re the Typhoon. May I also recommend Arthur Bentley 's drawings. 

Cheers, I will have a look for that.

Richard