1/48 fiat cr-42 what's the best kit

Mike Esposito

Been looking to add one to my growing :worry: stash of kits

I built many CA kits, but the cockpit is great, I heard that Italieri's kit is easier but the cockpit detail is wanting.

Maybe the Italeri plus the eduard cockpit...but that is over 40 USD.:swear:

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Thanks

I don't have experience with either kit (though do have the Italeri version in the stash).  As far as prices go, Classic Airframes went out of business about eight years ago, so it's expected any remaining kits still out there could be pricey - so likely no savings in either direction you choose.   One thing I noticed are CA prices can be a bit cheaper on those kits without Italian markings.

Also, be aware that the very first CA boxing on the subject has errors, or at least according to this review:

http://kits.kitreview.com/cr42reviewse_1.htm

regards,

Jack

I built the second, revised version of the CA kit for the Battle of Britain 70th anniversary GB:

All the photo links have died but I did make a few comments about the build you might find useful. Re-reading them myself, it seems the instructions were particularly dodgy, and the assembly is typical CA...

It does look good on the shelf though :)

Mike

Not having built any, I can only report what I've been told by some fellow Italian modellers: the most accurate seems to be the second edition CA kit, with the original CA kit being the worst and the Italeri being a second best. Of course the fit of the Italian kit is much better, but as you have already built CA kits you probably know what to expect anyway. Personally I found the issues with the Italeri kit quite minor and hard to spot, but the fabric effect is indeed better on the CA kit.

Regarding prices, I don't know what it's like on your side of the pond, here in Italy I've seen the CA kit going for good prices on the second hand market since the arrival of the Italeri kit, as low as €25. Here too the boxes with non Italian markings end up cheaper and if you have spare decals (Skymodels did a couple of sheets) you may save something by buying one of these.

Guess that in the end the choice depends on your preference between accuracy, detail and buildability. And of course price

I have built all three kits, CA 1, CA 2 and Italeri. If you see the 1st edition CA run away quickly, it has all the faults of the 1/72nd Revell kit from the 60s. The Italeri is a simple build but the boxings I have seen only have the AS or desert intake which the CAI machines didn't have. The 2nd edition CA was a typical CA kit , buildable with care and has some nice resin, how accurate it was is beyond my knowledge.

Hope this is some help.