Dull red aircraft code letters 1/72 24 inches

RussG

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a company which produces 24 inch code letters in 1/72 for example a Mosquito?

I have scoured the internet but can only find 48 and 36 inches i.e. mainly for bomber command aircraft.

Please accept my apologies if this has been asked before,

Russ

30 minutes ago, RussG said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a company which produces 24 inch code letters in 1/72 for example a Mosquito?

I have scoured the internet but can only find 48 and 36 inches i.e. mainly for bomber command aircraft.

Please accept my apologies if this has been asked before,

Russ

Have you tried 48" in 1/ 144 scale? should come out about right.

Selwyn

Thanks everyone for all your help,

I just find it odd that with all the after-market products that are available there isn't anyone who produces 24 inch 1/72 dull red decals?

Thanks for your suggestion Selwyn but unfortunately Mark 1 don't appear to do 48 inch in 1/72....who would credit it!

Russ

Has any one considered dry transfers. There are several available for various model aircraft and also quite a bit out there for railroad hobbyists. The come in various fonts and in multiple colors as well and a sheet usually has 6-8 sizes of the entire alphabet. Woodland scenics comes to mind as one of the big producers. 

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Has any one considered dry transfers. There are several available for various model aircraft and also quite a bit out there for railroad hobbyists. The come in various fonts and in multiple colors as well and a sheet usually has 6-8 sizes of the entire alphabet. Woodland scenics comes to mind as one of the big producers. 

The problem with dry transfers is that there arent' many around with the kind of font actually used on aircrafts, most supply standard fonts of the kind graphic designers may use. The colours supplied also tend to be generic colours but on my model I may want US insignia red or MAP dull red and a generic red may not be right. I'm also not too convinced by the use of large transfers, but maybe that's just me.

Then there's the matter of using the transfers... applying them over a flat surface is easy. applying them around the fuselage of a 1/72 aircraft model is much less easy. Personally when I use transfers I apply them onto clear decal film first and then apply the decal as in this way I can adjust the position more easily. Of course this negates the main advantage of dry transfers, that is the lack of a carrier film.

Overall I'd say that dry transfers may be interesting but really they only cover a small niche in scale modelling