This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Bullbasket

Pet hates.

cocky05d    332
5 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Yes i do ,got 4 of the little sods .

Here they are ,they come when i call them . Clock wise from the black and white one ,Misha (m) ,Sooty (m) Jet(M) and Callie (f)juAMIlT.jpg

Beardie    4,704

My biggest pet hate about cats is the havoc they wreak on the native wildlife. When I first met my wife she had a cat and everyday it would come in with some beautiful wee wild bird dead in it's jaws. When we moved we fell out with our new neighbours who loved feeding the birds and the cat took to using their bird feeding area as a restaurant. I am not too keen on them leaving their waste products in a tray in the house either. Since the wifes' cat moved on to that scratching post in the sky (natural causes, I ain't a monster) she decided that she much preferred dogs as well. I think she loves our big Spinone/retreiver cross more than she loves me. It is daft as a brush and a complete wuss but loyal and loving. My westie is the most gentle creature in the world when around us but is a terror to all strangers and fearless. Last year when there were five deer outside our front door, one decided to charge him, he was taking no notice of them at the time and just sniffing around, and he turned around and chased all five off across the field.

cocky05d    332
7 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I recall about twenty or so years ago, when I was on my motorsickle I hit the horn when a car shot out of a side road and I had to slam on my anchors to avoid hitting him. The guy braked to a stop blocking the road and jumped out. When all six foot three and twenty stone of me stood up off the bike (Kicking the stand out of course) he changed his mind jumped back into his car with some unintelligible insult and accelerated off up the road.  :D

Yes ,when i was riding motorbikes ,that was the dreaded thing i dreaded .I worked as a motorbike courier in London from 1988 to 97 ,when i moved back to Shropshire .

The black cabs were the worse for stopping suddenly ,and people with a death wish walking out in front of you kept you on your toes.

Vince1159    1,817

I never thought i'd live to see the day when four cats were eating out of their own dishes usually it's a free for all with a bit of fur around the floor....

Beardie    4,704

Ah those are sophisticats, note the blue and white willow pattern china food bowls :D

cocky05d    332

Re the bowls ,stopped using them ,back to the metal ones now ,the 2 black cats are from the same litter and are both Gannets .

They get along most of the time ,Callie doesn't like other cats but she has made attempts to groom the black ones .

Misha the black and one cat will groom the 2 black ones ,but callie and him don't get on ,she is gentle with me ,doesn't scratch or bite .

I agree, cats bringing in Birds and Mice is the thing i don't like ,if they bring a live Bird in and it looks as if it might live i

take it to a wildlife center a few miles away .

But song birds and mice are going to get killed by something sooner or later ,and they only live for a few years .

One of them brought this in a few months back ,the tail of a slow worm .

udHbBa4.jpg

Panzer Vor!!!    3,538
1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

There's a couple of goats in the field opposite me and no thanks if you think of the stuff they eat,venison's nice though although everytime i see a deer i think of Bambi........

No not that type of kid  I mean KIDS  you know the HUMAN TYPE  TASTY!!!

Vince1159    1,817
56 minutes ago, Beardie said:

My biggest pet hate about cats is the havoc they wreak on the native wildlife.

I get your point but over the years i've known a lot of cats (four of mine included) that have been killed by cars either by running across a road chasing something or seeing something in a field and also running away from dogs and actually caught by the dog,nature has a habit of evening things up....If you look at the rate that mice and rats breed if it wasn't for moggies we may be over run by them...

Edited by Vince1159

Beardie    4,704

I don't actually mind rats and mice (I have a wild mouse living in the compost heap in my garden who doesn't bother me and I don't bother her) and there aren't many cats around my village. I think there are only perhaps half a dozen cats at most that roam loose around here. The owls, foxes and red kites are the local pest control. Traditionally in the highlands cats were considered to be creatures of the devil, familiars of witches etc. whereas dogs were faithful companions, providing protection, assisting in hunting and herding sheep. We do have one native cat (The Scottish Wildcat) which unfortunately has all but disappeared due to interbreeding with domestic cats.

2 hours ago, bhouse said:

...It means that you were probably driving without being fully aware of or driving with consideration for the conditions around you. 🤔🙂

correct, the highway code clearly states the correct motorway exit method is to stay in the outside lane as long as possible then violently throw your vehicle across three lanes of traffic without indication. I must brush up on my skills.

Vince1159    1,817
20 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I don't actually mind rats and mice (I have a wild mouse living in the compost heap in my garden who doesn't bother me and I don't bother her) and there aren't many cats around my village. I think there are only perhaps half a dozen cats at most that roam loose around here. The owls, foxes and red kites are the local pest control. Traditionally in the highlands cats were considered to be creatures of the devil, familiars of witches etc. whereas dogs were faithful companions, providing protection, assisting in hunting and herding sheep. We do have one native cat (The Scottish Wildcat) which unfortunately has all but disappeared due to interbreeding with domestic cats.

The history of cats with witches and connections to the devil are legendry (i've never met one i'd trust yet) and dogs really are loyal companions,you just have to see guide dogs,hearing dogs etc...When it comes to foxes we don't have any over here and i'd love to meet one face to face but the problem with them in citys are that they're opportunists (some people call them scavengers but if someone wants to leave a takeaway lying around?)..

Edited by Vince1159

cocky05d    332

As Terry Pratchett  wrote "Cats were once worshipped as gods ,and they haven't forgot it."

In my shed a few hours ago ,one of the cats came in and let go of a live mouse ,sometimes one of the cats will come and sit in the entrance with me .

Anyway ,went back in with a trap and i saw the mouse ,tried to catch him but he hopped past me and disappeared under the shed .

MAD STEVE    1,549

Pet Hate

Cats (get it :) )

Hands up those of you that really just don't like Cats... (me)

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

Vince1159    1,817
23 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

Pet Hate

Cats (get it :) )

Hands up those of you that really just don't like Cats... (me)

:thumbsdown:....

Skodadriver    1,835

I hesitate to get involved in the cats versus dogs debate but some 55 years after the event I still carry the scars of injuries I suffered from a black labrador when I was about ten years old.  It's one of only two occasions in my life when I've seen the inside of an A and E department.  I was lucky not to suffer permanent damage to the nerves and tendons in my right arm. To this day I am terrified of dogs, particularly large, uncontrolled, boisterous, barking dogs running loose on footpaths and other public areas.  Sorry owner, I don't find your slavering mutt adorable and I don't give a flying fig that it "just wants to be friends", I don't want it anywhere near me and I expect you to understand that.  

I don't ever remember hearing of a child being savaged to death or, like me, scarred for life by a domestic cat.  

M1ks    135
On 05/09/2017 at 19:46, zebra said:

My pet hate: Drivers who slow down to go over speed bumps, so much that they actually have to accelerate to go over the bump. Was stuck behind one the other day who actually came to a stop before going over the bump.

I do slow to a crawl especially for the new fresh ones which are ridiculously humped and make no apology for it, when you've been a mechanic and seen what it does to your wheels, steering components, suspension and undercarriage and have to pay for the parts to fix you'd understand why.

The only exception being if they're the middle of the road, humps and I'm riding my motorbike and can easily veer between them and avoid them. If the driver behind takes the hump, (no pun intended), overtakes and races over the remainder like stirling moss then proceeds to spit feathers while getting tyres/wheels/springs/shocks/tracking/exhausts fixed and probably blaming it solely on potholes, (which are a bugbear given the cost of road tax), then that's how it is.

That said, I never intentionally hold anyone up that is trying to get by either. I got past the novelty of trying to be the one in front years ago when even the most basic mid szed bike could outstrip all but the proper sports cars from the lights left me grinning enough times that it became a bit dull. (Though I still remember that Carlton 3.0 that I laughed at after leaving him at the lights on a 250 as he peeled off red faced and muttering something at the following roundabout thinking he won't be bragging about that one down the pub tonight), the simple things eh!

bhouse    727
3 hours ago, depressed lemur said:

I must brush up on my skills.

So pleased to hear that you recognise you have something to learn - as do we all 😉

M1ks    135
12 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

I hesitate to get involved in the cats versus dogs debate but some 55 years after the event I still carry the scars of injuries I suffered from a black labrador when I was about ten years old.  It's one of only two occasions in my life when I've seen the inside of an A and E department.  I was lucky not to suffer permanent damage to the nerves and tendons in my right arm. To this day I am terrified of dogs, particularly large, uncontrolled, boisterous, barking dogs running loose on footpaths and other public areas.  Sorry owner, I don't find your slavering mutt adorable and I don't give a flying fig that it "just wants to be friends", I don't want it anywhere near me and I expect you to understand that.  

I don't ever remember hearing of a child being savaged to death or, like me, scarred for life by a domestic cat.  

This is an interesting comment.

I love dogs, thick as they are and they are, I think most people dislike cats because they're typically smarter, however, I digress.

Both my son and my best friend are terrified of dogs, with my son, I honestly don't know the reason as he grew up with one of the thickest but nicest collies you've ever met, the only danger you'd have been in is if you looked exactly like a tennis ball and that would be never getting any rest because she'd want to play non stop.

With my friend, it's passed on from his mother who doesn't like dogs and transferred that dislike into a fear from a young age so he's incredibly wary around them, we were out walking around a place called rother valley a couple of years ago in yorkshire taking photographs, (another longstanding hobby of mine and a relatively new one of his), he was kneeling taking a picture of some plantlife when this great thundering dumbass of an irish wolfhound, (I think), came tearing towards him, he froze not knowing what to do so I stepped in and yelled at the dog and chased it off, as he started back up to his feet I was looking around angrily for the owner, a whole 45 seconds later he came sauntering round the bushes swinging the lead in his hand, meanwhile I'm still shooing the dog, then he says jovially, ha ha ha, it's ok, he won't hurt you, ha ha ha, he's just playing, at which point anger getting the better of me I strode over and let rip verbally and how he should be grateful it was my 6ft2 friend his dog had scared and not my 11 yr old son or I'd be even angrier than I was.

He spluttered, got a bit red faced and dragged the moronic bouncing hound off with him.

Just because you think that your dog is OK doesn't mean others share your opinion, this is the difference between responsible dog owners and arseholes!

The shame of it was that the dog was lovely and clearly wanted to play, I just felt sorry it had a d**k for an owner!

But think if that had been a small child and something had happened that caused that dog to panic and attack, a whole 50 seconds that dog was out of sight and out of control of the owner but you can bet your bottom he was bitching on facebook that evening about how mean I was.

hairystick    926
19 hours ago, M1ks said:

... even the most basic mid szed bike could outstrip all but the proper sports cars from the lights left me grinning enough times that it became a bit dull.

I find Porsche drivers really get upset...

Absolutely hilarious fun.

M1ks    135
5 minutes ago, hairystick said:

I find Porsche drivers really get upset...

Absolutely hilarious fun.

Oh yes, anyone who thinks they're in a fast car, admittedly the gap is smaller these days with some fairly mainstream cars performing exceptionally. But you'd love it up here during during the annual porsche owners club summer meet on Skye, there's queues of them to upset, a friend of mine used to delight in 'going for ride' during their weekend gathering and run up the island, :)

Edited by M1ks

lasermonkey    609
2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

I couldn't agree more.

When I was about four or five, a dog made off with a chunk of my knee. A small chunk maybe, but enough to get blood everywhere and leave a lifetime of, at best, being incredibly wary of dogs. I've been bitten twice since and have had to deal with aggressive dogs more times than I could recount. And before anyone starts, no, I wasn't doing anything to provoke them! My wife is even more scared of dogs than I am, and on several occasions I've had to put myself between her and a snarling, slavering hound because the owner didn't have it under control. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect dogs to be under full control in public.

We live close to a nature reserve, and there's a public bridleway that runs through the middle of it. There are notices which state that dogs are welcome to use the bridleway, but should be kept on a lead and are not to go onto the reserve itself.There is a surprisingly large percentage of dog owners who use the bridleway who think that their dog is special, and the rule doesn't apply to them. I've (politely) challenged errant dog owners a few times and am either ignored or am met with abuse. Let's face it, a nature reserve is a stupid place to take a dog for a walk. The clue is in the name!

There's a quarry over the road from the reserve, and where they've finished with an area, they've handed it over to the RSPB to manage. There are signs which request dog owners to keep their dogs under close control from April-August, so that ground-nesting birds are not disturbed. Not one single dog I've seen over there has been on a lead. While it's true that some have stayed close beside their owners, the majority run riot around the site, chasing anything that moves.

Then there's the nearby National Cycleway (Route 51, which follows part of the old Varsity Line). How I loved being hassled by loose dogs on a track specifically set aside for cyclists. I don't go any more. It's just not worth the risk.

So no, not really a fan!

Beardie    4,704

I have often been puzzled by the way some people seem to get attacked by dogs and others don't. I have been bitten once, by a westie which was tied outside the local doctors surgery with just enough length in the lead to reach my knee, unfortunately the owner was present or it would have received a swift kick although I do recognise, as a westie owner, that the fault was with the owner, tieing it up so close to the door so that the dog felt threatened and the other was about thirty years ago when an old lady's yorkie came running at me while I was helping a mate deliver the local newspaper and, once the dog had picked itself up on the other side of the garden, it decided that discretion was the better part of valour. Other than those two instances I have never been even the slightest bit concerned by any dog I have come across tethered or otherwise and never felt threatened by one. If anything dogs often avoid me :dog: I must be half wolf or something. :D

hairystick    926
21 hours ago, Beardie said:

...while I was helping a mate deliver the local newspaper and, once the dog had picked itself up on the other side of the garden, it decided that discretion was the better part of valour. 

:D

I had the exact same thing happen with a corgi (dog, not a kid's toy) when I was delivering newspapers as a kid. Horrible excuse for a dog (dunno why Mrs Queen has the damned things) and didn't appreciate a swift boot. It didn't return and that has been my only bad encounter with dogs ever since.

MAD STEVE    1,549

Morning Chaps :bye:

I find it funny that, if you say you don't like dogs, people can understand where you are coming from. Say you don't like Cats on the other hand and you suddenly become an emissary of satan :).

I have had people become physically upset with me when I say that I don't like them, or excuse myself and leave because the cats are crawling all over me.. 

I'm sorry, I love my dogs, They have gotten me through the hardest time in my life, but they live, outside! They don't walk all over the kitchen counters while Im making food, they don't poop in a box inside the house and most importantly, they actually listen when I tell them to do something ( well, most of the time :) )

I can understand that you find comfort in your Cats, Just as I find in my Dogs. I can understand that you think Dogs noisy smelly animals, just as I find Cats

So rather than having a whole protracted arguement about it... lets agree to disagree :) 

Black Knight    3,597
17 hours ago, bhouse said:

...It means that you were probably driving without being fully aware of or driving with consideration for the conditions around you. 🤔🙂

If you have time to brake hard and/or swerve then you are driving fully aware.

Its when you drive into the side of the car which pulled out into your path thats when you are not being aware