This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Bullbasket

Pet hates.

LaurieS    852
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Richard E said:

If I can make another offering:

One of the media's favourite phrases "the <insert supposedly interesting topic or television programme> that everyone/the whole country is talking about."

Erm no - didn't here a single peep about it on the train this morning.

Yes I agree Richard.

It is the same old thing this morning. BBC news "Mo Farrow failed in his attempt at the 5000m".

Failed ! Oh yes he only came second in the world. Some failure.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

Dave Batt    302
45 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Pacific and specific....  Drives me mad.....😡

Thank God for that.  I though it was just me developing a hearing complaint.

CurrantBunbury    403
43 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

BBC news "Mo Farrow failed in his attempt at the 5000m".

Failed ! Oh yes he only came second in the world. Some failure.

Oh, yes - all that "first is everything; second is nothing" rubbish. Second is not quite as good as first, but unless there are only two competitors then it's considerably better than last. :rolleyes: 

While we're on the subject of sport, another one that bugs me is "I came here to win." No, you didn't. You came here to compete. If you'd come here to win, you'd have been handed your medal on arrival and then gone home.

And another one (sport is a rich seam, evidently!) - "History has been rewritten." Really? All of it? The entire history of the sport is being rewritten from start to finish because a new person/team has won a championship? :blink2:

Max Headroom    5,716

In a game of two halves you can be over the moon one minute and sick as a parrot in the other. Just so long as you smash it by giving 101%.

Cliches. Who deeds 'em?

Trevor

T7 Models    4,879

Then there are people who write 'of' instead of 'have', as in:

I should of done that first instead of I should have done that first

:rant:

Bullbasket    1,665
13 hours ago, Richard E said:

Operation Bullbasket and the regiment's other behind enemy lines operations immediately after D Day described in detail in Ben Macintyre's excellent book SAS Rogue Heroes: brave men one and all.

This brings me onto anther "dislike" that I have. When the nasty business in the middle east was brewing up in 2003 and various countries were or were not lining up to support the US in it's action, France said that it wasn't going to send troops. That well known bastion of journalistic excellence, The Sun, had a headline which said something along the lines of "Have the French Forgotten?"  Which brings me to the dislike that I have. Journalists who write stories without having got off of their lazy backsides to check their facts. If he or she had done, then they would have discovered that far from forgetting, the French commemorate those soldiers who were murdered on Hitler's orders every year and have done since they were dug up from their rough graves in the woods in St.Sauvant and reinterred in the cemetery in Rom. I've lived here since 2005 and have attended the ceremony each September 29th and I have to say, it's impressive. Apart from all the local dignitaries and residents who always attend, the military sends along a contingent of soldiers along with senior nco's and officers (a couple of times, of the rank of general).

So to the muppet who wrote that article I say no, the French most definitely have not forgotten.

John.

MAD STEVE    1,465
12 hours ago, hairystick said:

Oooohh! Proper "camping" in style.

I could be swayed by that type of "roughing it" rather than under a bit of flimsy tentcloth malarky!

:D

imagine the scene Hairystick...

You pull into the camping site, you park, you extend the canopy (electrically operated ofcourse), unfold your chair and voila, you be camping...

None of this Tenting stuff, thats for peasants :) 

Mad Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

MAD STEVE    1,465
18 hours ago, M1ks said:

People who drive in kph instead of mph are also annoying 😜

Aha... I have seen this coming M1ks and Im ahead of you.

Even though here in Africa's Bottom we drive in Kmh, The Iveco has a speedo that shows both Kmh and Mph :)

I usually aim to offend, but today, I aim to please :) 

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja: 

Pete in Lincs    6,084
45 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

None of this Tenting stuff, thats for peasants

This peasant discovered hotels years ago!

Oh look, a proper toilet and a power shower!

Max Headroom    5,716
13 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

....fluffy towels, Freeview TV and room service.

Trevor

MAD STEVE    1,465
21 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That ain't campering Pete

That's Holidaying

Campering is for like weekend off to the coast or the Kruger Park

Holidaying is staying in Hotels, fluffy towels, thunderboxes and room service :) 

Heaven forbid Mrs Mad should have to stay in Campering mode for more than 3 days... 

Seahawk    1,102
6 hours ago, CurrantBunbury said:

Second is not quite as good as first, but unless there are only two competitors then it's considerably better than last. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the old Soviet era joke.  A Russian and an American were in a race.  The American won.  Pravda reported that the Russian had come second and the American next to last.

Nowt to do with camping or holidaying or vacations or weekend breaks but it can be seen at all the previous locations....1 car taking up space for 2 or 3, that person being either too lazy or to self centred to consider others.:clown: that is what they are...

Biggles87    3,031

The latest trend in the media ( especially the Beeb ) seems to be substituting ' nuculer ' for nuclear. What the h*ll is that all about?

hairystick    883

Loose: "That nut needs to be tightened because it is loose"!

Lose: You did not win something!

There IS a difference.

(I'm losing count of pet hates now) <-- see what I did there?

IanHx    1,151
2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Nowt to do with camping or holidaying or vacations or weekend breaks but it can be seen at all the previous locations....1 car taking up space for 2 or 3, that person being either too lazy or to self centred to consider others.:clown: that is what they are...

And it's supermarket cousin, a near empty car park and SOME NUMPTY PARKS 2 INCHES AWAY FROM THE DRIVER'S DOOR.

I swear this one time they managed to park overlapping the door mirrors....

Antoine    1,204

Ah, yes, forgot this:

The numerous "Four something" topics that always find their way to the top of "view new content" listing.

MAD STEVE    1,465

Afternoon Chaps :bye:

To add to the muppet's that cant seem to park in just one parking bay....  I have two....

Firstly... is it so hard to take your trolley back to the trolley parking when you have finished with it, instead of just leaving it in a parking space??? Do you think the trolley fairies come and magically move them back, or they just teleport back?, No!, people like you and me have to take them back when you leave them there and we have to move them to get our cars in the bay...

And Secondly

I believe a mandatory execution order should be laid down for those lazy A holes that park in disabled bays...

NO!, you cant park in them because your Audi, Beemer or Merc will get scratched 

NO! you cant park in them because you are too lazy to walk from the rest of the Car Park

NO! you cant park there because you'd be just quickly in and out...

I would try and explain to you just how it frustrates actual disabled people when plonkers like you park in the bays reserved for them, but you are probably so far up your own bum you wouldn't be able to hear me...

It is my own personal pleasure to tip the security guards 20 bucks and a hearty good job old man when I see them putting wheel clamps on cars that don't have a blue badge displayed... 

Gosh, I managed to say all that with no naughty step words... :)

LaurieS    852

Opposite our flat there is a Leisure area Pizza Parlour and KFC.

Brings in a lot of idiots who.

Park on the disabled area.

Park on the delivery van area (vans then park half on the pavement).

Park on the crossings which blocks all wheel chairs and old people who find it hard to get up kerbs.

Park on yellow lines causing chaos reducing the two lanes to one

Parking attendant comes around once a day. For an incorrectly parked car it takes 10 minutes minimum to take detail,

walk around the car, stare in the car, take pictures and write out car parking charge.

I have worked it out that they could rake in £250 just in each of 3 visits.

I have presented myself to the Parish, after complaining, as a honorary traffic warden.

Even said I would provide regulation yellow shirt.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

Pete in Lincs    6,084

Here's one that was on the radio today,

Something I'd never thought of & am guilty of.

It winds up the person who sent it in at least.

Telephone numbers, 0800 etc.

How to pronounce that first number?

How many of us say Oh eight hundred?

It should of course be zero eight hundred.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Something I'd never thought of & am guilty of

Oh dear, that's me too, time for 20 self imposed lashes.

As long as we do not end up spelling numbers on adverts like they do in the US, non of my phones have the letters any more....thank God. Always did wonder what they were for when i was a wee nipper.

Edited by Head in the clouds.

LaurieS    852

My annoyance on noughts and ohs.

Putting in a code for a piece of software. Is that an 0 or an O when you only have one of them in the line ie non to compare.

Looks clear here but some of the type is so idiotically small.

Laurie

Heck page 13 and my reply is 13.

Edited by LaurieS

rayprit    262

As the thread was started, same problem, offering advice or even a solution to somebodies dilema and they not having the thought or manners to thank you for putting in that effort  and bothering to answer their queiry.............even if it has meant you delving into loads of reference material, browsing the net, various forums, etc, etc.............., time taken from you when you could have been doing something personally worthwhile.  I now bite my tongue and ignore all cries for help........let somebody else do the thankless job of helping an ignorant modeller out of a dilemma.........its happenening more and more lately as Mike pointed out in a thread not too long ago

Darby    4,834

Starting a sentence with the word 'so.' So what you may ask, but it's just an extra word that doesn't need to be used. Hang on a minute, I've just typed a load of extra words that didn't need to be typed.