It's peanut butter jelly time! 1/72 PBJ-1J Mitchell

Very interesting result and really exotic variant of B25. Can you please write more about the original plane/painting scheme/unit? First time I see a night fighter version... :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Looks great.  A really interesting scheme, beautifully applied.   I dread to think what it would have been like to be at the receiving end of twelve .50 cals. 

• Like 1

J-W ... its not a night fighter. Its a marine corps day bomber/patrol/harassment aircraft though they did conduct night operations from time to time. Its in the 3-tone USN camouflage of the mid-late war. I have a PBJ-1H in my collection in the same color scheme from VMB-613. Its not a true rarity as there were 7 squadrons using the type. They ranged from the early Two tone D's to the single and 3-tone camouflages of the H and J squadrons. And its actually 14 .50's the upper turret could be locked in a forward firing mode on all the strafer B-25 types. If you can find a copy i highly recommend getting "Marine Mitchell's in World War Two. By Jerry Scutts. Its an incredible book that has very useful info on the type, squadrons, and operations in ww2. BTW HABU 👍 Great work

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

Vulcancity .. yes they flew them. Most of the D types and J types that originally had glazing show the glazing painted over indicating no bombardier. Actually if you google PBJ-1h you very likely will find photo's of the Carrier suitability trials. There was a 3-tone H model used in 1944-45 to see if an aircraft could land and operate on a carrier. It actually was fitted with arresting and catapult gear. The Navy knew you could fly one off a deck because of the Doolittle Raiders.  

• Like 2

That's a very impressive model :worthy:.

The B-25 is such an iconic aircraft. Somehow it looks superb in every colour I've seen it in, in service. Truly stunning in this scheme.

Very nice subtle weathering.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

J-W ... its not a night fighter. Its a marine corps day bomber/patrol/harassment aircraft though they did conduct night operations from time to time. Its in the 3-tone USN camouflage of the mid-late war. I have a PBJ-1H in my collection in the same color scheme from VMB-613. Its not a true rarity as there were 7 squadrons using the type. They ranged from the early Two tone D's to the single and 3-tone camouflages of the H and J squadrons. And its actually 14 .50's the upper turret could be locked in a forward firing mode on all the strafer B-25 types. 

Corsairfoxfouruncle, many thanks. What surprised me was radar, not the navy colours. Therefore i was suggested about a night fighter (like Ventura) role. Meanwhile I googled a bit on this machine and found also photos from Iwo Jima battle with two big rockets below fuselage :)  And with radar in nose, removed turret, and averal non-spectaculer dark blue.... Very temptating to do one :)

Habu - again , congrats for excellent model

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

J-W the rockets were 11.75 inch rockets prototypical in ww2 but used by USAF,Navy,&USMC aircraft in korea to some extent. They may have been combat trialled on cave/bunkers on Iwo Jima. Not sure but could check my sources. I do know that B-25J's and H's could carry the HVAR's and did so on a somewhat regular basis ive even seen PBJ's with HVAR's under the wings. Sadly the PBJ's and there crews are a forgotten group that gave all and dont get the credit they earned. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Corsairfoxfouruncle, thanks a lot! My google results are mainly here:http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_bombers/b25_19.html

Regarding HVAR

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/346078-id-0052860-060117-pbj-1j-missing-5-hvars/ 

Interesting subject - It could be another unusual Mitchell for consideration! 

Cheers

J-W

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

J-W the rockets were 11.75 inch rockets prototypical in ww2 but used by USAF,Navy,&USMC aircraft in korea to some extent. They may have been combat trialled on cave/bunkers on Iwo Jima. Not sure but could check my sources. I do know that B-25J's and H's could carry the HVAR's and did so on a somewhat regular basis ive even seen PBJ's with HVAR's under the wings. Sadly the PBJ's and there crews are a forgotten group that gave all and dont get the credit they earned. 

Funny you should post that! Those 11.75 inch rockets were also known as Tiny Tims, and were used right at the end of the war, IIRC, but mostly in Korea. I did find a neat website that describes all of the airdropped rockets, listed by size, from the smallest to the largest. if you scroll down to the 11.75 inch rocket section, you will find some photos- just click on each photo caption to open. I think I remember reading that the blast from the rocket motor upon ignition would do serious damage to the airplane firing it, so a lanyard was attached to allow the rocket to drop clear of the airplane a safe distance  before igniting the motor. Incidently, the radar pod was  a surface search unit, for detecting surface targets, not aerial targets. The radar pod could either be mounted on the wingtip or on the top of the nose; you can find photos that show both installations. If you do a search for China Lake, there is a website that has incredible photos or aircraft and weapons testing from WW2 to the present, listed by year. it is worth a look, as there some pretty unusual armament fits pictured!

Mike

http://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Weapons/US_Rockets.htm

I did have the China Lake website saved- link is listed below! I think will find it worth a look!

http://www.chinalakealumni.org/index.htm

Edited by 72modeler
added additional link, added a word for clarity
  • Like 1