Replacement for Humbrol 224?

sapperastro

Hello all,

I need some recommendations for a replacement for Humbrol 224 Dark Slate Grey. I have been told it is discontinued, and my preferred places to buy have ran out of it (I wonder if anyone has told Airfix...). My one and only Colourcoats stockist doesn't have any, so, what would be a good replacement for this essential FAA colour?

Not discontinued;

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/224-dark-slate-grey-matt-14ml-enamel-paint.html

the acrylic version is just out of stock

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/224-dark-slate-grey-matt-12ml-acrylic-paint.html

When Airfix/Humbrol discontinue anything they take it off their website

Black Knight; Beats me then mate. That is two stores that have told me their supplier has told them 'thats it'. Same with host of other colours that will no longer be resupplied, including the RLM colours, Azure Blue (the colour they got right in the end!!), Middle Stone...the list goes on. All very useful colours for RAF schemes. I look at all these tins overseas....can't be shipped. As for the acrylics, the pots over here seem to be corrupted with grit.

Hey Jamie, you know how much I love the Colourcoats, but Creative have been 'working on an order' for over 8 months now. I will grab what I can, when I can, but without some sort of regular supply, I need other products to fill gaps as and when they appear. At the moment it is a nice new Airfix Martlet, and my old tin of H224 is out, with no replacement tins available.

Oh, just tried a UK store with good prices and delivery for Humbrol acrylic. TopSlots n Trains. Get this: No 224 listed!

Edit: I emailed  TopSlots them 224. They replied I quote 'No, this colour has been discontinued'!

Here are two earlier britmodeller threads re humbrol discontinuing colours;

Edited by sapperastro

re the 2016 list; I checked with my LMS at that time. The paints listed were not on his re-order form, but there was no official word those paints were being discontinued.

Since then I've bought some of those paints from my LMS, who has been getting them ok, and I've bought directly from Airfix/Humbrol.

Just a couple of weeks ago I bought some of the paints on the '16 list and a tin of 226 [on the '17 list]

My LMS has a high and fast turn over of paints as he's the only place within greater Belfast [400sq miles or more] that keeps the full Humbrol range

A guess; I think Humbrol are working through the paints and correcting the quality problems; as they do so the colour becomes 'out of stock' and unavailable for a short while.

I base this on for a while 11 and 33 [and a couple of other colours] were not available; not to the LMS or from the Airfix website, then they came back, better than the previous batch

The latest batch of new tool kits advise use of the Humbrol RLM colours and others on those two lists; even Airfix are not daft enough to put the paint suggestions on the new instructions knowing that the paints are discontinued

Unless Humbrol has told the retailers that these paints have been totally discontinued I'd not reckon they have been

• Like 2

Lets hope you are correct. Its bloody frustrating trying to find a colour and then all you get from shops is 'discontinued!' I did think it was strange that not a peep had been heard, officially, that these colours had been stopped.

I have emailed humbrol, so hopefully they can give the rub on whats going on, so I can then present the email to the shops in question. Daft.