Hurricane Mk IIc Night Fighter/Intruder

Here's my 1/48 Hasegawa Hurricane Mk IIc built as Karl Kuttlewascher's Intruder aircraft. (I know I haven't added the red doped patches that are commonly illustrated - decided not to and reasoned that this is his machine the day before !)    I added Ultracast exhaust , external fuel tanks and wheel wells, Eduard's photoetch belts, Squadron Vac canopy with plastic strip internal structure, brass wire handles, and exhaust glare guards made from brass sheet.

Hope you enjoy,

Colin

Image4Image7

Image3

Image8b

Image11

Image10

Here's my Heard of Hurricanes so far ...

Image1

Edited by Tail-Dragon
added photo
  • Like 49

An absolutely stunning piece of work.  A beautiful paint finish right down to the exhausts which look brilliant.  Did Kuttlewascher also fly an all black machine? 

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

An absolutely stunning piece of work.  A beautiful paint finish right down to the exhausts which look brilliant.  Did Kuttlewascher also fly an all black machine? 

Thanks everybody, the Hasegawa is a lovely kit to build (other than 2 glitches - the step behind the cockpit, and the awkward seem at the wing lower trailing edge)

If I understand the history correctly, Kuttlewascher's Hurricane was originally black with grey codes, then, in preparation for Dieppe, No. 1 Squadron repainted their night fighters in a partial day fighter scheme - but without the yellow leading edges and with red codes.  Quite different from the Sea Grey/ Dark Green intruder scheme.

• Like 1

Hi Colin

very neat bit of work,  crisp, great finish.

The Kuttlewascher scheme though is a perfect example of 'Never trust a profile without a photo'

see 

Note, it didn't stop the Battle of Britain memorial  flight using the  scheme  though!  (see pic  in link!) 

15 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Hasegawa is a lovely kit to build (other than 2 glitches - the step behind the cockpit, and the awkward seem at the wing lower trailing edge)

The Hase kit has more glitches!

the under fuselage  break  is really annoying,  I think the  only real solution is to sand it flat and add a piece of scored 5 thou card or sprue strips and  filler.

I  tried taking the wing fabric section, cutting in half and attaching  to the  respective fuselage halves, 

but  the stringer lines still don't really line up :(  

The fabric overstated 'skinnny  cow' , has bizzare lines on the fabric access panels.  This is the worst feature of the  kit,  I have one part  done,  covered in Mr Surfacer.

Other, less documented are it's too flat in the front cowling,  easy  enough to  fix,  bend the cowling parts in the  middle,  it  will bulges up and keep the bulge,  you  get a  gap in the cowl top now,   but that's easy to fill. 

The wing tips are bulged,  the real thing is basically flat,  makes the wing look thick and the wing tip light the wrong shape.

The wheel hubs are too small, or more precisely lack the outer rim.

The carb intake is the smaller version for the  Mk.I

I know, very very picky,  but if the above faults  were in a Spitfire kit.....  you get the  idea.

For the not truly demented/obsessive,  as Colin's build shows the Hase kit does build into a very impressive model.  No criticism of an excellent piece of work is intended by the above.

It's still a better  option out the box than the Italeri kits...

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Did Kuttlewascher also fly an all black machine? 

see the link,  if  anything the only  documented Kuttlewascher scheme is  all black.

for more on  Hurricane night fighter schemes see   the  last 3 pages of this

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

scans here

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

hope of interest,   and great model Colin, thanks for sharing. 

• Like 3