Can anyone identify this PV-1 Ventura in Shanghai, China 1945?

28ZComeback

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_oGzik4Kvn2NGd6yvLUwThis PV-1 Ventura was photographed in Shanghai China in 1945. I am not sure of the unit number or serial. Any information about this mystery craft appreciated. Please note the unusual application of glossy sea blue paint on the PV-1. Many thanks.

Edited by 28ZComeback
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_oGzik4Kvn2NGd6yvLUwThis PV-1 Ventura was photographed in Shanghai China in 1945. I am not sure of the unit number or serial. Any information about this mystery craft appreciated. Please note the unusual application of glossy sea blue paint on the PV-1. Many thanks.

Hi 28`

There`s a photo of an identical one in  Steve Ginters `Ventura and Harpoon book ( actually R373 ) which gives the unit as VPB-142, NAS Agana, Guam, July 1945.

Could be same unit ?

Hope this helps, Russ

According to the VPB-142 squadron history, they were never deployed to China; their last base was at Eniwetok in 1945- they returned to the U.S.at the end of the war and the squadron was disestablished in 1946, so the PV-1 in your photo most likely must belong to another  VPB unit. I'll see if I can find more information.

Mike

Maybe .. maybe not. I know there were mud marines stationed in china at the end of the war. They were there for about 6 months to a year as peacekeepers. There were also corsair squadrons stationed in shanghai. Is it possible the VPB ventura could've been there as a transient aircraft. It could just have been there delivering something/someone and happened to be photographed. 

Thank you very much gentlemen!  It may well remain a mystery. VPB-142 had PV-1's until January 1945. They were switched out in Alameda, California. I wonder where Mr. Ginter got his information...

One more note, Shanghai was the headquarters of Naval Operations in China 1945-1949 and also headquarters of Air Technical Intellegence. As Corsair said, maybe someone in intelligence wanted to get in and out of Shanghai without a lot of fanfare.

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe .. maybe not. I know there were mud marines stationed in china at the end of the war. They were there for about 6 months to a year as peacekeepers. There were also corsair squadrons stationed in shanghai. Is it possible the VPB ventura could've been there as a transient aircraft. It could just have been there delivering something/someone and happened to be photographed. 

We will probably never know for sure, unless new information comes to light, but there might be another possibility to consider regarding a VPB-142 PV-1 being based in China in 1945. Since VPB-142 traded in their PV-1's for PV-2 Harpoons back in San Diego in January, 1945, according to their unit history, the Ventura in the photo above might be one that was left behind and repainted in what looks like in the photo non-specular sea blue and used for the protection/occupation flights that were based in China? I know F7F's and P-61's were also based there for the same purpose. The fact that it still retained its turret and nose guns leads me to believe that maybe it was being used in that regard? Maybe the castoff PV-1's were refurbished and repainted at Guam, which IIRC, was a major maintenance/repair location, and that is how the VPB-142 Ventura got its new color scheme and codes? Just a wild guess, you understand...too many years of exposure to Diosol, I fear! BTW- hello from sunny Texas, Corsairfoxfouruncle!

Mike

Went thru my Ginter Ventura/Harpoon as well as my Osprey Ventura/Harpoon Units of WW2 books and no luck finding anything more definite than what has already been brought out. You sure can pick 'em, 28Z!

• Like 1