The other Tim's Academy 1/48 F15C MSIP II - 493FS 'Grim Reapers', 48 FW, RAF Lakenheath

Tim Moff

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looking great tim, what have you heard about not glossing for decals, what about washes and so forth? 

Glynn

Some who were using laquer type paints were saying that a with a bit of very fine sanding/polishing after the main coats that a gloss was not needed for decaling as the surface was smooth enough - they sealed in with gloss after to protect the surface and weather afterwards.

The debate was that silvering is caused by air being trapped under decals - so the surface being smooth was important, not specifically a gloss cote.

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 1

Driving on as the end line rapidly approaches us!!

The weapon decals was long old saga of patience and long post work evenings.......now on so its time to get the sealed in ready for a bit of weathering and I will be trying Testors Dullcote for the first time.....the engines are still in the garage awaiting a bit of dry brushing and the control rods attaching....then time for the last Aes, tailhook etc....

PczrK5k.jpg

ZbBStXW.jpg

ASMSwlM.jpg

k3iylZN.jpg

O8fsqWV.jpg

U2K7Zcj.jpg

n7hsCtl.jpg

• Like 3

Decals all on and sealed in. Time for the wash and some oils....wanted a bit of weathering on the C, the main refs for the period show it reasonably clean.....

T34VT7u.jpg

tYZevZm.jpg

0L2bvwJ.jpg

OIt59XB.jpg

NFNMLIL.jpg

Wnnu9gn.jpg

• Like 6

Yep i agree looking great tim,  got to say you did get dibs on  me for the best decals :huh:, fairplay, she's looking cool, I've , glossed mine tonight  with tamiya 22 and levelling thinners, and painted the death,the gear, wheels,  and the nose cone in your recommended shade, thanks for that tim, got to say also, great photos you've posted of the 15c's nice examples for the weathering to come, keep up the great work 

Glynn 

• Thanks 1

With the finish line edging closer and a couple of days TOIL, I got stuck in yesterday.......a deployment away with work meant I missed the F111 GB deadline, which still grates on me......so I took the time I had, mainly on the Mudhen, but got the C a bit closer to the gallery, with the dulcote on all parts, weapons getting sorted, jet pipes and 30 control rods.....agghhhhhh.....then 30 more.....I couldn't be doing that in 1/72!

Light weathering a bit easier to see with the dulcote

KBc4RbQ.jpg

If I never see another control rod again......

9aW2dPT.jpg

Getting those weapons mounted......

6JjGajv.jpg

• Like 1

Final assembly

yLM5M4x.jpg

EPAAv1S.jpg

Antennas and AIM120Cs....

dobOHLj.jpg?1

Upper Ae, Pylons, Tanks, AIM120Cs and AIM9Xs on....

6mkzCQV.jpg

3Pa79qn.jpg

Photo bombed by Aaadvarks!!!

mlynHT7.jpg

Pair heading to the finish line!

a6l93Nb.jpg

Just a final check over and then time for pics and the gallery......hmmm...can get some more Aaadvark decaling in too!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, helium said:

Very well done Tim!!

I like in particular the weathering on the fuselage 👍

Did you use black oil paint (I saw a tube of Winsor in one pic) or did you mix it with grey?

Cheers

Holger

Kind words....I used Floreys dark dirt as a sludge wash, quickly wiped clean.

For streaking etc I used a mix of Ivory Black and Burnt Sienna .....

I swear by the Winsor and Newton oils with a bit of turps....

bYzxTKM.jpg?1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think thats it.....some pics, not sure what works best, white or blue background?

z1Jjc5r.jpg

TpYkUdp.jpg

wqDYpWk.jpg

FLNUeVL.jpg

EYVJ2Ba.jpg

Z3IYrt0.jpg

iPT9zcZ.jpg

io79Gxs.jpg

PjeJjxE.jpg

rG1RX4u.jpg

5EAAJiM.jpg

Thanks for all the help and advice - much appreciated.....C model was a bit of a fight in places, but a thoroughly enjoyable GB, made all the better with a personal connection to RAF Lakenheath.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Those look fantastic Tim, the finish and weathering on both is just spot on, in a way that is only possible from staring at the real thing or reference pics for way too long :D.

I'd say we've both come a ways since the Harrier GB a few years ago.

25 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Those look fantastic Tim, the finish and weathering on both is just spot on, in a way that is only possible from staring at the real thing or reference pics for way too long :D.

I'd say we've both come a ways since the Harrier GB a few years ago.

Very kind - thanks. Yep a like my research ! Agreed come a long way, mainly thanks to the advice from this group of guys and gals and site and also the scale model critique group on Facebook . Great when you see improvement !

• Like 1