The other Tim's Academy 1/48 F15C MSIP II - 493FS 'Grim Reapers', 48 FW, RAF Lakenheath

Tim Moff

Im in with the Academy kit, with some Caracal decals. Its part started, can I ask the Admins to look and if happy its under 25% let me know.

Similar to the F111 GB, a personal connection, being born and bred in Lakenheath, can remember when the wing converted to the E model initially, and the 493rd inactivated in Dec 92, before reactivated in Jan 94 with F15Cs. A rich history since, which I will touch on during the GB.

Need to be careful not model the same airframe as others....

BZKKmp1.jpg

CZX7TSZ.jpg?1

a8b6LKr.jpg

jYvpx9j.jpg

M5ntWCN.jpg?1

evezRPW.jpg

csDi6gA.jpg

npZwXVg.jpg

EHmv5d0.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

After the family hols, got on a bit. Stuck the PE on directly, not sure if thats how it should be done, or should they be flush, scraping out the area? Well its done now!

The issue with the kit is the nose/fuselage fit, which was a pain.

Stuck some sprue in as a help to guide the parts together and used CA and some Tamiya Extra Thin. Not a perfect fit with a bit of a step...think the nose parts are slightly warped.

Mq066xa.jpg

TOUEV0X.jpg

Building up the other main parts.

XDZg7K2.jpg

HHJ5QSQ.jpg

HM2ETGH.jpg

Am think about doing one of the MiG killers,  84 - 4027, which is the 493FS Sqn flagship. Its currently sporting an E Model nose cone, has also had various panels from E  models, including tanks, so may do some for interest.

Recently at RIAT it was on display fully armed with training weapons,  6 x AIM120C and 2 x AIM9X's. Maybe I load it with Operational weapons, thinking 4 of each.

jN2YfGo.jpg

tQFd1Yz.jpg?1

13o5EH2.jpg

75kpSZM.jpg

UdCLNbQ.jpg

9OblBHr.jpg

5nm6ZwG.jpg

Will see how it goes, got my Mr Paint colours as well.

• Like 5

Cracking on

Various weapons for the C and Mudhen

JhQWKeJ.jpg

AIM9L/M's for the Mudhen, AIM9X for the F15C. The Mudhen will only have the 2, so 2 for the spares box.

6lbAXmW.jpg

6 x AIM120Cs for the F15C, 2 x AIM120B's for the Mudhen. Again a mix of Academy and Revell, with 2 x AIM120Bs for the spares box

5HewIIF.jpg?1

Getting there, some filling to do, comparison of the 2 Eagles.

MlGhpfC.jpg

Hope to get the main build finished soon, then some paint on....canopy will need the seam sanding, a bit nervous at that prospect!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

interesting to see Sniper Pods being used on C  Models.

lEhIsWc.jpg

qdnvsU1.jpg

The dreaded canopy seam....

AOhFFnb.jpg

dealt with....

D7i0X4k.jpg

Using Brasso and a Selvyt polishing cloth... the very same I got on day 1 week 1 of my Parachute Regiment service, starting in Oct 85.......lasted the 26 years in service and 6 years since.....not much use is PARA Reg for brasso outside of basic training I spose! It seemed to work well.

ZcVtAB9.jpg

c77bCJT.jpg

Canopy and windshield masked up and on using Kristal Klear PVA

Wings on with some filler underneath

2r5IYLg.jpg

aUrn1gh.jpg

With the Mud Hen for comparison

0X3iZmR.jpg

Now the Academy Instructions show that Pylons and Tanks, missile Rails should be Dark Gull Gray FS 36231?

Is this a left over from the old scheme?

Just a plain mistake by Academy? Show they just be the MoD Eagle light colour  FS 36251?

Advice appreciated!

ANRAjuH.jpg?1

muiSdbN.jpg?1

• Like 3

Primer on - Mr Finishing Sufacer 1500 thinned with Mr Levellling Thinner, about 30/70, through a 0.3 Neo, about 18-20PSI at the compressor.....I still have issues getting this set up right, sometimes to thick and the the tip blocks, or just too thin?

Anyone use a retarder with this?

Anyways it seems fine.

bMyrWNM.jpg

Plan is to get the the darker FS36176 on first, then mask this out, followed by the lighter FS36251, using Mr Paint. I will then attempt the bare metal at the rear!

Some references....

tdiQNC3.jpg

evezRPW.jpg

csDi6gA.jpg

Any guesses on the Nose Cone stock colour? Is it from the initial Eagle scheme? FS36320?

tQFd1Yz.jpg?1

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shaun said:

Looking good, nice work...the dark gray radome is appearing to become the norm at the Heath..

Thanks Shaun - yes noticed that the E model radomes keep appearing. Any ideas on the below pic - looks earlier - clearly not the E model FS36118 as the replacement rudder is in that colour....was thinking as using that pic as my reference - looks kinday FS36320?

tQFd1Yz.jpg?1

s-l300.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Thanks Shaun - yes noticed that the E model radomes keep appearing. Any ideas on the below pic - looks earlier - clearly not the E model FS36118 as the replacement rudder is in that colour....was thinking as using that pic as my reference - looks kinday FS36320?

tQFd1Yz.jpg?1

s-l300.jpg

That looks good,could it just be a fresh radome untarnished by the British pollution?...It does appear brighter though? The painting guides always show it the same colour as the upper surface on instruction sheets.

F-15C-Breaking-formation.jpg

Started with the paint, same black base as the Mud Hen. The 'Blue' FS36176 is overdone to ensure I get all areas needed, before I mask off over white tac snakes shaped as per the references. I will then likely re-paint with black, before doing the FS36251 on the upper surfaces.

The Mr Paint FS36176 does not seem that 'blue' as per some of the references, but I think a lot of that is the light conditions, as Mr paint is renown for its accuracy.

pYTedww.jpg

HMdxuLd.jpg

VGOD4Yf.jpg

XZT2QQM.jpg

QoPBulB.jpg

6CJ36p4.jpg

MztX8vr.jpg

Brbj3rm.jpg

oWZi4jm.jpg?1

r7TGeNV.jpg

Some more nice Ref Pics!

imgHy2n.jpg

pvjLQP9.jpg

• Like 2

Masking done, good old white tac sausages, using the actual picture references of 84-0027, the 493FS Flagship, with 2 x Desert Storm Kills, rather than the standardised pattern on the various instructions/decal call outs.

As there was a lot of the darker grey still visible, I decided to put a light black base over again, so I could get the mottle light grey on.

npBIfjr.jpg?1

D6QatBP.jpg

pQ1iiHF.jpg?1

h0nAuUa.jpg?1

myPkriT.jpg?1

syI2MlG.jpg

DRqLDad.jpg

BzMXo7F.jpg

• Like 1

Onwards!

For any F15C Grim Reapers fans, the link below is simply superb....some breathtaking pics and great references....

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-photo-tour-of-the-usafs-grim-reapers-f-15-squadr-1739746754

ya7foMS.jpg

4ci10gu.jpg

Building up the layers with FS 36251 over the mottling

clw6nSI.jpg

Masking off!

N7uU1Tr.jpg

9etPcrz.jpg

Qnf0TJF.jpg

mmr8IyJ.jpg

yxBVIDG.jpg

• Like 3

Metal rear end done - grills an bits done with Chrome silver and iron/stainless. Bit of Tamiya smoke on the metal areas for affect.

xmjmRYt.jpg

Ar8hBLx.jpg

With the Mud Hen

EVdnwe1.jpg

Some final touching up, ECM wing tips white, GPS dome, lights etc.....then be time for a Gloss cote and decals.....

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

Thanks to @madcat911 - he spotted the mistake before I continued - on both airframes!!:facepalm:

So I remasked both, and got on with it as I have 2 days TOIL from being on call weekend!

Got the Black primer on

ylD39Fe.jpg

Oversprayed the darker blue/grey, got the old sausage White Tac on, masked and sprayed the grey over the correct areas.

ZXKRPOQ.jpg

Basic but easy mistake to make when the engines are not on and give a bit of the area perspective!

l3qwGea.jpg

Painting the lights and ECM 'bulbs', and Gloss Cote on

vgNVcRv.jpg

Gloss on the waepons....nightmare small decal time approaching!

5KUq7N5.jpg

Gun area painted in Iron - bit of touching up needed - the SOTAR fine needle will come out (AGAIN!!).

1st Gloss cote on - X22 mixed with MLT. How many coats do you guys normally do. Big debate on a FB page as to whether you need to gloss cote at all?

bxHHsAl.jpg

ZVOtHkF.jpg

61MD2MU.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

Cracking on:

Done a bit weathering around this exhaust thingie, more to do once decals on:

zkZLnE7.jpg

LXQnx95.jpg

some work to do on the exhausts before I put the rods on:

BvynS59.jpg

Decals going on....love this phase!

Using a mix of the kit decals as they fit the model, wouldn't usually entertain Academy Decals, but these are Cartograph, as are the Caracal decals for the specific aircraft.

b41XPjG.png

ZnVZBSH.jpg

oVXNezQ.jpg

more work to be done, but the finish line is in sight!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3