Super-detailed Italeri MiG-29A 1/72 (USSR 1980s)

jrlx

Hi all,

I will join this GB with Italeri's MiG-29A. I'll do a super-detailed build using Aires' resin cockpit, exhaust nozzles and air-brakes, Arma Hobby's resin nose and closed upper air intakes, and Master's brass pitot tube and static dischargers. I have already all the items, except the static dischargers, which should arrive next week.

I'll build a soviet machine from the 1980's as displayed in the Farnborough Air Show. I'll use the kit's decals.

Here's the box:

y4mOMinrQIKZE6uJmnAD8UoxsLYic9GajSPwM0p9

IMAG4776

The sprues:

y4mB0zu6Z40JXpyBO8CUUjo9qPBnZrzekzH5ZSIs

IMAG4777

y4mdUktdxRbDmPkuhjO7pYywagQpqfHFJB9Z4ifr

IMAG4778

The transparent parts, which look good enough, as I'll pose the canopy open:

y4mVhItrQdwgZ_Ebn7KkxL27g2jWtD4YIoszxbdN

IMAG4779

The decals, which don't come with many stencils:

y4mgwbe_7xERZU5IZEpwCxVHBmlrCnQV9bZwZV-0

IMAG4780

The resin cockpit, which also comes with a PE fret for the instrument panel and other details:

y4ml0eOXIR4orXIdW6w0Wp8P6O6NspHSRZzOFkQ1

IMAG4781

The resin exhaust nozzles, which also come with a small PE fret for the flame holders:

y4m21NBmXEh0OtdG7PS6eopyxrkJzBJARo9zXRyM

IMAG4782

The resin air-brakes:

y4mj1gU8yvLno-2YrTpE7g2Z67BAIn9DyWtKZWeE

IMAG4783

The resin nose cone and closed upper air intakes:

y4mWBQttWMyRhlI5b-I7JoQdbGD0L3SIJIcgCU03

IMAG4784

As I will display the aircraft in a parked position, with open canopy and air-brakes, should the main and upper intakes be all closed?

Finally, the brass pitot tube:

y4mC9kxUpJIg3HXolWlE-8QRDpgFxP1Ot8_OTU6_

I will need some time to plan the build, especially regarding the insertion of the resin parts and the detailed painting of the cockpit, before I get back here with progress reports.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 7

5 hours ago, jrlx said:

As I will display the aircraft in a parked position, with open canopy and air-brakes, should the main and upper intakes be all closed?

Without the engine running, the upper louvre intakes will be closed and the main intakes would be open. The intake doors normally only drop down when the aircraft is under power. 

The new Zvezda tool comes with rather nice FOD guards for the main intakes. 

Nice collection of items, I'll pull up a chair for this one!

Cheers,

Andre 

5 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

I'll be interested to see how you manage all the extras in a smaller scale

Hi FortyEighter, thanks for your interest. I've super-detailed other 1/72 models before, mainly with PE. The amount of resin in this one will be a challenge but also an opportunity to improve my modelling abilities.

5 hours ago, Hook said:

Without the engine running, the upper louvre intakes will be closed and the main intakes would be open. The intake doors normally only drop down when the aircraft is under power. 

The new Zvezda tool comes with rather nice FOD guards for the main intakes. 

Nice collection of items, I'll pull up a chair for this one!

Cheers,

Andre 

Hi Andre, thanks for the information. If I understood correctly, when the aircraft is parked and powered down the upper air intakes will be closed (hence the resin parts to replace this area of the kit) and the main intakes will be open with the main intake doors up? The main intake doors work automatically or can they be used as FOD guards as well?

I think the Italeri instructions have the main intake doors installed in the closed position. This is good because there's no intake trunking detail but if the intake doors would be up, I'll have to make the FOD guards or adapt the intake door parts for that purpose. In any case, the upper air intakes are moulded open and should be replaced by the resin parts to be accurate.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Andre, thanks for the information. If I understood correctly, when the aircraft is parked and powered down the upper air intakes will be closed (hence the resin parts to replace this area of the kit) and the main intakes will be open with the main intake doors up? The main intake doors work automatically or can they be used as FOD guards as well?

Here's some info from Yefim Gordon's "Mikoyan MiG-29": 

"The FOD protection doors close automatically during engine starting when hydraulic pressure reaches nominal and open when the aircraft accelerates to 200km/h IAS during take-off. They close again when the airspeed drops below 200km/h, reopening after engine shutdown."

Never say never, but the most common config on inactive MiG-29's is as in my first reply. 

I think the Italeri instructions have the main intake doors installed in the closed position. This is good because there's no intake trunking detail but if the intake doors would be up, I'll have to make the FOD guards or adapt the intake door parts for that purpose. In any case, the upper air intakes are moulded open and should be replaced by the resin parts to be accurate.

For the Italeri kit 'as is', a pilot figure is a must since it is configured as if the engines were running.

Like I said, the Zvezda has some very nice main intake FOD guards - it might be worth it asking around for a spare set. 

HTH,

Andre 

3 hours ago, Hook said:

Like I said - never say never ! 

Cheers,

Andre 

Thanks, Andre. I think I understood how it works and thanks for the pictures. I'll do it parked and powered down, so it'll have upper intakes closed and main intakes open but I'll think about scratch building some FOD covers myself as there's nothing to see inside the open intakes.

Cheers

Jaime

Welcome aboard Jamie and that's a nice little build you have planned there!

I like all the AM stuff you have to go on her, I'm trying to shoehorn an Aires cockpit into mine.....with some Wolfpack bits.

Well good luck with your build, looks like you're going to have some fun with it, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

On 29/07/2017 at 00:26, trickyrich said:

Welcome aboard Jamie and that's a nice little build you have planned there!

I like all the AM stuff you have to go on her, I'm trying to shoehorn an Aires cockpit into mine.....with some Wolfpack bits.

Well good luck with your build, looks like you're going to have some fun with it, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Hi Trickyrich! Thank you very much for the warm welcome :)

I've already done  some work on the cockpit area and I've managed to insert the resin cockpit into the fuselage, as well as open the side panels behind the seat to leave the avionics bays on display. I'll try to post a progress update this Monday.

Just to give a flavour of what I've already achieved, here are two pictures:

y4mKOLrnYPdGuuIeK2RD5iOACuIXPMy6x6bLNp9x

IMAG4812

y4mQ0NkyrKkp4zvfIJlDPMnUJC3CbV2QppRi73Xb

IMAG4815

The next step is to cut the airbrake area in order to insert the resin airbrake parts but first I'll have to remove these from their resin blocks.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Hi again,

As I said in the previous post, I've done some work already but I didn't manage to post it during the week. I also didn't manage to get back to the build during the week, so what's reported below is work done till last Sunday.

I started by removing the fuselage parts off the sprues:

y4m6p5F6Gwnc0qAIFO5c2izChLxt9FzEHAMe8I7q

IMAG4786

I did a quick test fit just to check alignment. The parts seem to fit well except near the nose, where some gaps are visible:

y4m3O2yyqr04Ov3jn8alPIBgtdRbKXvYXn-QKvlY

IMAG4787

y4mCSmZfXZgu4rQpsNsSu38c9-5IZtm-fKF3dJEn

IMAG4788

y4mqK21Rhd3tYiQ3_0NImANya_Qn9N0hL0iLEZgr

IMAG4789

I'll have to align the panel lines just behind the nose, and the kits's nose will be replaced by a resin part.

I'll use Aires resin cockpit to replace the kits' parts. Here is the resin cockpit base, side by side with the fuselage. It's highly detailed, as can be seen:

y4m8m3RvLLQmADQmGdjVQ0vmg1RBsYgRGVbdQnbd

IMAG4790

More detailed views of the resin cockpit base. The avionics bays just behind the cockpit are also moulded in:

y4mIAsWvFH7P_hGMQJlGnjLc97qsnSRmEaXKhajO

IMAG4791

y4mk6Ai3RxjLGg760Plvegv4ARE75IUOnMxeCoUU

IMAG4972

Next I had to remove some plastic from the top fuselage half. Here are the instructions of the resin cockpit, marking the areas to remove:

y4msFvzeRQKQU0XoJq7jFL2UpvVWKOYNzKA74rav

IMAG4797

I used a narrow nano-saw to cut the areas to be removed. Here's the start of the cutting of the area behind the pilot:

y4mlZRNfgY9aW5qngHS-n6mjy2kqt2NlBnL-bF3e

IMAG4793

This area was now completely removed:

y4mz2EbH-6I9K24K-3Bj5PtfFiGjJAJKk1qcBhcp

IMAG4794

The resin cockpit base fits in well but the sides of the fuselage behind the pilot still need some cutting:

y4maWgBWvzN5i6VGFbqNqEjL8IWig0RyUhE_qhJz

IMAG4795

The instrument panel cowling was removed next. Here it is side by side with the replacement resin part:

y4mdiLTXcGQJ9NytKNjEN88osyYkvCHYpTufvzF0

IMAG4806

The next step was adjusting the resin cockpit base to the sides of the fuselage and opening the avionics bays access panels. For this I used a few pictures as reference:

photo239.jpg

photo247.jpg

mig4.jpg

These pictures show clearly that a slot must be cut on the fuselage sides behind the pilot for fitting the indents on the resin cockpit sides:

y4mRjink36iX3r_BuFVsRu0xrRSGHGKXguuKpIVV

IMAG4807

The PE fret that comes with the resin cockpit has side panels to cover the avionics bays:

y4mAnZXQppmZSriqO7x0ueXLP76nwAfeX8Fspdtb

IMAG4816

My intention was to cut the sides of the fuselage to display the avionics bays and cover them with the PE panels while the model was on the shelf. So, I started by marking the upper cut, using masking tape as a guide:

y4mAwSwYKGXbN7rzJiDbaMjAFlddchY_J-DCgghj

IMAG4808

Next, I used the PE panel parts to mark the rest of the cuts:

y4mRj4lyo3rRbP7740ZrMEpUIh1opy6o4NxubMSp

IMAG4809

After completely removing the plastic and inserting the resin cockpit base in place, this was the result on the port side:

y4mKU2YmX3ZrqhWh2fsQNALq9a1nGk99-i7-Yiw8

IMAG4810

and on the starboard side:

y4m72ZY2Us3Rgk8ybeo-eBG0BJjq2ILDyDPq_BwI

IMAG4811

However, the size of the openings, as resulting from the markings around the PE panel parts, are too small to fully show the avionics bays and do not match the proportions of the open panels that can be seen in the reference pictures. So, I decided not to using the PE parts at all in the model, leaving the bays permanently open, and opening the panels a bit more, to the panel lines marked in the kit, in order to match the real proportions of the open bays.

After a bit more cutting, here's the final result on the port side:

y4mKOLrnYPdGuuIeK2RD5iOACuIXPMy6x6bLNp9x

IMAG4812

and on the starboard side:

y4mQ0NkyrKkp4zvfIJlDPMnUJC3CbV2QppRi73Xb

IMAG4815

This is how the top fuselage half ended up after all the cutting around the cockpit area:

y4mdDdzfpicA2dP0uWDTP9ZY7h8WMe4LWmIwCIWw

IMAG4817

y4mcwvVhkZyYVBGn_X22pfAcX8dzagm8jdhucAth

IMAG4818

I still have some cutting to do: the air brakes area on the tail, the exhausts area, the nose and the upper air intakes. As I'll need to use the resin parts as guides for the cuttings, I'll have to remove them from the resin blocks first.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hook said:

Nice progress! 

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks, Andre! I've progressed a bit more this week but only in sawing the resin parts off their moulding blocks.

Hopefully, I'll post an update after the weekend.

Cheers

Jaime

With all the new options it's hard to imagine there was a day not too long ago that this was the best Fulcrum on the market in 1/72 scale. The fit is tricky (at best) and you'll have a lot of sanding and filling on your hands, so good luck!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Phantome said:

With all the new options it's hard to imagine there was a day not too long ago that this was the best Fulcrum on the market in 1/72 scale. The fit is tricky (at best) and you'll have a lot of sanding and filling on your hands, so good luck!

Indeed. The worst part is the nose with the ungainly split - I plan on using a spare Trumpy cone (their 1/72nd MiG-29's come with two) on my next Italeri build. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 23:30, Phantome said:

Hi Phantome, thanks for your interest! I had this kit in the stash for about two years. It was bought before the new Trumpeter and Zvezda came out. Since there are so many AM bits for this kit, I decided to use it as a base for a superdetailing project. I've been sawing resin parts for the last two weeks but this part of the work is done now.

On 8/16/2017 at 10:00, Hook said:

Indeed. The worst part is the nose with the ungainly split - I plan on using a spare Trumpy cone (their 1/72nd MiG-29's come with two) on my next Italeri build. 

Cheers,

Andre

The nose of the kit has already been cut off and will be replaced by Attack Squadron's resin nose, which looks good in place. But the fit of the fuselage halves just behind the nose is problematic.

On 8/16/2017 at 17:22, FortyEighter said:

Coming along nicely - I needn't have worried about you dealing with all the extras!

Thanks! I'll post an update during this coming weekend to show all the resin parts already off their moulding blocks and the fuselage halves fully cut out for adding the resin parts.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi again,

I finally got some time to post updates of the work done in the last two weeks. These will span a few posts, as there are a lot of pictures to show.

After cutting the upper fuselage to insert the resin cockpit and instrument panel cowling, I decided to cut all resin parts off their moulding blocks.

First, I took care of the air brake resin parts. Here we see the centre shaft, where the breaking parachute is housed, the bottom air brake part and the actuators:

y4mBrwZLrgAk27qXetRM2eKQRQQHZ3CY8Fj4gtMC

IMAG4821

Here is the top air brake part:

y4mvZeXEVS9FcNqztjEfjthGTY0lUMyl1ueG3cna

IMAG4823

WARNING: resin dust is cancer inducing if breathed. So, I used gloves, a respirator mask and sawed the parts on a wet kitchen paper towel to keep the dust from disseminating all over the place.

The mini-saw shown in the first photo was used to cut the moulding block off. Here is the centre shaft in detail:

y4m1LZJlSdtbEo9FhmsoERoNeTwYz3gHSYwWX9ct

IMAG4824

and the three main parts of the air brake side by side. As can be seen, there's a lot of detail in the parts:

y4moBGpwPVqlEmc0v68I6f6lTffv6ky-YaCWMyaM

IMAG4825

This is how the air brake looks like when closed:

y4mmw8_QrnNoZgjys_jcUd5nR1TA9Np197mydtJW

IMAG4826

Next, I moved to the upper air intakes that will replace the open grilles just behind the cockpit on the top fuselage halves. Here are the resin parts on their blocks, near the mini-saw that was used:

y4mLSo23pLvtK_kkR1sW8DcxWJpulXrfeW2sQ9VQ

IMAG4827

These were easy enough to cut:

y4mHFdVf8lPMN_HsCqzp_K9Z0UVxKleOc0KxNo1x

IMAG4828

The nose will also be replaced by the resin nose that comes together with the upper air intakes:

y4m_3DtLhTX04B1PfYCUEuxHQfAI1WKEjaneWSpT

IMAG4829

This one was also easy enough to cut off the moulding block:

y4mma0TJfeUWemuBocinsnArVu6Lwnow88hbIkHh

IMAG4830

The next step was taking care of the resin exhausts, which are made up of four parts each (plus a PE flame holder). First, I took care of the compressors. Here one of them is still on the moulding block, while the other (on the left) is already cut off the block:

y4mtqfV-gNpUX9C34n5dU97lY7PMe5m4V3UWDwGN

IMAG4831

Both ready:

y4myCeVgfMJ3g_j8YzeQxqvXzC4bu1fxZk1uxR31

IMAG4832

This was followed by the inner petals of the exhausts. Here one is already cut off the block:

y4mE1nIo7_4Zz6Z97jHXsrd_nwKmt90iLcaQtXFA

IMAG4833

and here, both ready:

y4mTLue7lZMUF6cPs3mxU7f1oJI9iGwoEsy9H5U2

IMAG4834

These are the outer petals of the exhausts, with the one on the left already off the block:

y4mrzz1ZVPB3TOxRqUVYvWOpMxBkzXQ6ew9QgoJO

IMAG4835

Here they are both off the blocks:

y4mhJlknaOYVz4xIGac7FZYyt4l7EXCW1FZa593G

IMAG4836

The final parts are the sections between the compressors and the outer petals. Here we see one already cut off the block and the other still on the block:

y4m6P1cWTauKf1y1zPyO2Dy_b7ifKGBjBze6xmHy

IMAG4837

Here they are ready:

y4md5uXkntyUIkPeejoaknWM6JpFV98ZAVu300_m

IMAG4838

I think this is enough for one post. Sorry for the boring step by step pictures but they may be useful for someone doing a similar build.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 1

Continuing with the updates, the next step was cutting the moulding block off the cockpit base. This is needed because the block interferes with the top of the nose wheel well moulded on the bottom fuselage half, preventing a good fit of the fuselage halves.

Here is the cockpit base, still on its moulding block, and the mini-saw used to cut the block off:

y4mqzGH7mJGad1EWiAGHhrtGuvJr1rix4RvGdzRR

IMAG4839

The block was cut off in small sections:

y4mwtECN6Xyr0Dh0s4dH8xbC-ig7NewSsVUizoBs

IMAG4840

I managed to partially remove the floor under the seat location, so I left a bit of moulding block on to avoid further damage:

y4miUWltGq-UOF9abQ6-32Us5EB98e2y8i5MIoOY

IMAG4841

Here's another view of the damage:

y4m2kcvhLpCnHTyqovB2nwPto3HZbORtnYLVF_uS

IMAG4842

I thought I could repair this by glueing a piece of plastic sheet under the hole but, as will be seen further down, this may not be necessary, as the seat completely covers the hole.

So, here is the seat on its moulding block:

y4mEUgHdouQ08lxDFKANzy-ijjUv6m6yfKfq2ueZ

IMAG4843

It was relatively easy to cut off:

y4mrIyY743xNdSgkjDzhBDgv9yY5q6ee7JjPFeon

IMAG4844

I also filed the top of the nose wheel well, in order to better fit the cockpit base and the top fuselage half:

y4mb233NYV1X3eX_gMRBqkkwi6-UG2BnfM1FGCDN

IMAG4845

Here's a test fit, after all the sanding and filing. As can be seen, the seat completely covers the hole I did on the cockpit base. Anyway, I may end up applying a thin piece of plastic sheet to cover the hole, as it's not a big deal to do:

y4medv_dY0kCrNCOdFpXJu4mNS-vZS5NUE0SiZXs

IMAG4846

Continuing with cockpit resin parts, I also sawed the control column off the moulding block, as shown in the before and after pictures below:

y4my20fttiYr6BfP7Tj2hzN4Hp7aLhIVD5KAkaBf

IMAG4847

y4mzza14kBJjePaHJfHaWrSlv-bYHVbJEIPFRMNB

IMAG4848

As can be seen, the handle on the top of the control column is missing in the pictures but it is not lost. It's safely stored in the plastic package where the parts came in, and will be glued in place in due time.

The instrument panel cowling was also cut off the moulding block. It will need some plastic sheet around the edges in order to hold to the fuselage top:

y4mhCOkBMCMsQbk8cmHEHewD_DnfoCM0Jt9rGvnF

IMAG4849

There's also a small resin part to be installed on one of the sides of the cowling. Here it is on the moulding block:

y4m5KZ6ni5MJ5OpQmDLY3hanWt8yifHQbh_LK270

IMAG4850

It was impossible not to break the small curved thingy of this part while sawing the moulding block and excess resin:

y4mbcqtGZqsi6NhlMMjdIcW2VKVYXqtijE3qqx_b

IMAG4851

The inner side walls of the cockpit are represented by two resin parts, that must also be cut off the moulding blocks:

y4m91IqFKHeQrBP7Q0khHQbSokxbNYd66hneupVa

IMAG4852

After removing the excess resin with a nº 11 blade, here are the two parts:

y4mRKNAk9sLwrI2IujeIBrZmrgfO3WQlyQ9DhaZC

IMAG4853

The last resin cockpit parts are these small rods, to be installed on the top sides of the ejection seat:

y4mINkcNfWEmdSZQJaetOZiorCSDOGwI1Uf8yb3j

IMAG4854

As only two are needed, I only cut two off the moulding block:

y4mzToVOAxJJzi2q2xP7A6wfINikjP1yWpCZd77K

IMAG4855

This is all for this post. Again, sorry about the boring nature of this phase of the work.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

2 hours ago, helium said:

That's truely amazing what you are doing there, Jaime! Both the modeling and the documentation! 

I will keep watching with great interest...

Hi helium, thank you very much for the extremely kind words :blush:

Cheers

Jaime

Another post of work done till last week.

Having taken care of the cockpit resin parts, I moved to the upper air intakes. As discussed in a post above, when the aircraft is powered down the upper air intakes close and the main air intakes open. The Italeri kit has the upper air intakes open. Since I want to display the aircraft powered down, I bought Attack Squadron's replacement upper air intakes.

In this picture we can see the replacement air intake side by side with the top fuselage half:

y4mQSbB6CCEJ9xKEPfHyDi8YwIHGGejnkeLiXVjp

IMAG4856

The air intake on the fuselage must be completely removed so that the resin replacement can be inserted in its place. However, since the resin part's dimensions are slightly different from the area defined by the panel lines around the open air intakes, I had to proceed carefully. First, I removed the intermediate open grilles with a micro-saw:

y4m2ygjPx0vzSujlkdHBQNf5BmhRCQG1lQl7tFJq

IMAG4857

Next, I removed the remaining grilles on both ends of the opening and, then, using a nº 11 blade, slowly enlarged the opening until the resin part fit:

y4moldAd0S4FjH9SRvgdyzo4kU0EVo0msqOQVecs

IMAG4858

The resulting opening is this:

y4m7RfBXLhJfp50OEeVf96gNfM7BX84voS7ktJaD

IMAG4860

The same procedure was repeated on the starboard side. First, the open grills were removed using a micro-saw:

y4mtk5LNbuTnswKYUXlRiBfBQanRUCS3ezt4NVQ7

IMAG4861

and, next, the opening was enlarged with a nº 11 blade until the resin part fit snugly. The resulting opening is this:

y4mlsImKwVCCOvIpNGsOmFEOcp8JeH4gEIg0v0UQ

IMAG4862

Finally, here are both resin parts in place:

y4mr_qFq8dIf7B4OqiyM_H8dIWTZxCwRJrQk7Fx5

IMAG4863

Only a bit of filler around the edges will be needed.

Next, I cut the kits nose in order to fit the replacement resin nose in place. First, I cut the nose from the upper fuselage half:

y4mXW8PoJO8oWVujGjKaSqrB5nxjpa4SqRNqcl3t

IMAG4864

and from the lower fuselage half as well:

y4mMZJgTm6bSVtf2WxhLpXGlhaTwEpfNq9AG_-HZ

IMAG4865

As is, the plastic around the cut is too thick and the resin nose doesn't fit in:

y4mrV2UM_AJn26aCqaqlSDu_cqbCZ1iUhyzP4vPD

IMAG4866

The plastic around the cut was thinned until the nose fit in place. Here is a comparison of the thinned section of the fuselage halves (left) with the original thickness on the remains of the kit's nose (right):

y4m9tcVMFZPuMo_QFRJ5F1W3ieRaJ3EheIJmlvW4

IMAG4869

After this thinning procedure, the resin nose fit very well. However, there are some fit problems between the fuselage halves just behind the nose:

y4mGPpmalLCdJaT5tayNAlxciqtVNObRLcIxgefi

IMAG4868

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful work on getting all the resin to fit Jaime!

Hi Cookie! Thanks for your interest and kind words!

Cheers

Jaime

Hi again,

I'm still updating the thread with work done till last week.

The next step was to work on the air brake area, between the exhausts, to replace the kit's plastic by the highly detailed Aires resin air brake.

I started by placing the inner shaft of the air brake on the top fuselage, to determine were the cuts should be made to the plastic. As can be seen, there's a difference in length between the kit's rendering of the air brake and the resin part:

y4m7a2FvtilhCMulqZgUlgqhx-OGSo_hrNPMEswC

IMAG4870

Once the correct position for the resin part was determined, I marked the cuts with an nº 11 blade:

y4m6uFgYnKG8rbZBjepcKC1qltgPjLRoIpJOksvx

IMAG4871

Then I used a micro-saw to cut the plastic. Here the area is almost cut off the fuselage:

y4mApqLTAcQ9U8eeQw6OyEaiXO9WjDl6MCprl8vC

IMAG4872

Finally it was completely cut off the fuselage:

y4mglhb93pTB5Q57UHaLS5MXlxtV9tMHYoJLGmkK

IMAG4873

Some additional plastic carving with a nº 11 blade was needed until a good fit of the resin part was achieved:

y4mJCfNSphXbIrnb8HdiC7NR5-VEvd1FQnJF7zaY

IMAG4874

I placed the top part of the air brake over the centre shaft, just to see how it fit (I intend to display the air brake fully open in my model):

y4mXG36zB_sOpIfqXk0-JW1KuBbc4zpxtQT_Andd

IMAG4875

Next, I carved away the the relief representations of the top air brake part actuators:

y4mIEXtevcaovBeeEHdMwzUwRo8H6zhyoIFsWJfM

IMAG4876

After sanding and polishing and a bit of panel lines re-scribing, the top fuselage half looks good enough. It was fit to the bottom fuselage half and used as a guide for the cut of the air brake in the bottom fuselage half:

y4m7LgnCk6Wal_x0i7oYnrDYTBl5bvT1Tm0jtBUj

IMAG4877

The following pictures show a few steps of the cut, until the bottom part of the air brake was completely cut away:

y4m2vLAKxpzO9lnSVmjeAy8bdZxif2Z5WCzIqzK1

IMAG4878

y4mP8gJPJnrkUsysNQOf_-mFvoH07bzOobjREanA

IMAG4879

y4mmoL3ULemK7MnxZP6tSdLeX-7GcJz2q3evzxD9

IMAG4880

Now with the two fuselage halves fit together, I tested again the fit of the resin air brake centre shaft. As shown in the following two pictures, it seems to fit well:

y4mZUhpZC43tv4aJ6arNyo79c9fuuK2fZkKif4UV

IMAG4881

y4m8rtdEyFt-nyKjuOA5ZKtAKFv6rhUvs8a5F87J

IMAG4882

To finish with this area, I removed the relief-moulded air brake actuators on the lower fuselage half. After sanding and polishing, this was the result. Should look good under a coat of primer:

y4mOq5WnBeACZ3_pSck-x8b5MyZAaIKrQpEeJ14s

IMAG4883

The test fit of the lower air brake part over the centre shaft looks good:

y4miV7vXiJMbZhp2hm2IN2kc7AwuoN2jtzmqDBfx

IMAG4884

The next step was taking care of the exhaust area. According to the resin exhaust's instructions, the end of the fuselage where the exhaust are glued on should be sanded down:

y4miQp9BVUhCKC_NHgVnRyjL9BeWHY8AdFCONc00

IMAG4885

This was not easy to do, since there's no obvious deviation from a 90º angle on the ends of the kit part. I just sanded these areas enough so that the larger end of the resin part was under the exhaust covers that are moulded on the end of the top fuselage half:

y4mCcC3M7WbcNcMO3f_mfHAljMplUQFoOU4Hi80g

IMAG4887

This is the bottom view:

y4mto8RxIVZO_wwIXuyJ7fkhEXW5Jncg5WUZJu1K

IMAG4886

This concludes the preparatory work related to the resin parts.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 3