Please help me make up my mind: H&S Infinity or Iwata HP-CP

Ilie Mihai

Hello everyone!

As I am done with my exams is finally the time to start building some kits. I have everything ready except for one thing: an airbrush.

After lots of searching a while ago it came down to two models: 

1) Iwata HP-CP

2)H&S Infinity CR Plus (two in one)

I can buy either of them...both with 0.2mm needle/nozzle. 

I am torn between them and I do not know what to choose.

On one hand I like the Iwata because is a very good brand and from what I've heard everyone is very pleased with their Iwata airbrushes. I am pretty sure the 0.2mm needle/nozzle will be good for details which is what I want....and overall I trust that this airbrush would make me pretty happy.

On the other hand I like the Infinity CR Plus a lot as well. I like the fact that the preset handle has the option to always choose from a few configurations (1 2 3 etc). I also like the fact that it can be cleaned easily and that i can change the cups.

I've read lots of reviews online...and overall people seem to go for the Iwatas. I do not know if that's for us population mostly or for the europeans as well. I am an european and I can get replacement parts for both...so please take this into consideration.

Some people say that the H&S airbrushes are not as durable as Iwatas but the reason I am still considering this is because the youtuber that I look up to ( Plasmo) is using an Infinity for his work.

One day am leaning a bit more towards the HP-CP and the other day I am leaning towards the Infinity...I am really undecided. I am thinking abut Plasmo and what he's capable to achieve with his Infinity and start considering it again. He should be able to get a similar result with the HP-CP too, right? Or is there a difference between them and what you can do with them?

Today I went to a few local shops. One guy from one shop (scale models shop) recommended both (he was selling H&S airbrushes). He seemed pretty relaxed and I felt like he was really trying to help me. He was not really praising the H&S. He told me both are good  but ultimately the Infnity gives me more things for my money and it is also easier to clean. He said that in the many years he sold H&S airbrushes noone ever complained.  Another guy from another shop (arts shop..bot related to scale models) said that he used both Iwatas and H&S...and that H&S airbrushes are built all the same and they mostly work the same with no difference besides the name...and that he would recommend the Iwata...HP-CP being way batter than the Infinity. (His shop was selling both). He told me that he has one friend that used one H&S airbrush and one day while using it...it was working fine and the following morning he found the nozzle broken. Is that possible? For a nozzle to break by itself... overnight? Or was he trying  really hard to sell me on Iwatas?

How durable are those two comapred? Will they last me the same if properly cared for? Or are H&S airbrushes known to last not so much?

How's the trigger on them? Which one is snappier and which one will give me better control so when I will pull back the trigger I will know exactly what is going to happend?

What should I go for? I am really confused and I need guidance. Which one would you pick and why? Please give me reasons.

Best regards, 

Mihai Ilie

Edited by Ilie Mihai

That Iwata hands down. If you've handled both surely you can see that the Iwata is a more solidly built airbrush. That airbrush will be giving you great results for years, if looked after. Personally I don't buy into this 2 in 1 thing. Think to yourself do you really want to be swapping and changing needles and nozzles all the time? I know I wouldn't. Get your self a Iwata Revolution later, it's far easier to swap brushes. Think about how you will be spraying, prime, paint, clear coat. If you get the H&S you'd be starting with the bigger needle/nozzle, swapping to the smaller and then swapping back to the larger set up, what a faf. I think its a bit gimmicky, sounds a good thing at the time I suppose. I bought my first Iwata coming up to 10 years ago a HP-CH and all I've ever replaced is a needle and it still looks and sprays the same as the day I bought it.

Go with what the guy in the model is telling you, he's giving uou good advice. 

At the end of the day it's your hard earned so your choice. 

43 minutes ago, tank152 said:

That Iwata hands down. If you've handled both surely you can see that the Iwata is a more solidly built airbrush. That airbrush will be giving you great results for years, if looked after. Personally I don't buy into this 2 in 1 thing. Think to yourself do you really want to be swapping and changing needles and nozzles all the time? I know I wouldn't. Get your self a Iwata Revolution later, it's far easier to swap brushes. Think about how you will be spraying, prime, paint, clear coat. If you get the H&S you'd be starting with the bigger needle/nozzle, swapping to the smaller and then swapping back to the larger set up, what a faf. I think its a bit gimmicky, sounds a good thing at the time I suppose. I bought my first Iwata coming up to 10 years ago a HP-CH and all I've ever replaced is a needle and it still looks and sprays the same as the day I bought it.

Go with what the guy in the model is telling you, he's giving uou good advice. 

At the end of the day it's your hard earned so your choice. 

Well...the guy in the models shop recommended the H&S. My first thought was Iwata too, though.

What about the triggers? Which one is better and gives more control?

Why would you pick the Iwata against the H&S. What are the cons of the H&S?

Edited by Ilie Mihai

When choosing between high quality airbrushes, the most important thing is how it feels in your hands. I like the Iwata HP-C+ , and their triggers better than H&S Infinity, but they are both capable airbrushes. 

Hi, like Denstore said ultimately it is how the airbrush feels to you in your hands. For me the Iwata is a far better feeling airbrush, it has a bit of weight. the build quality is miles better, Iwatas are just a no frills solid airbrushes. All this inter changeable stuff you get with H & S is all gimmicky to me. Like I said earlier my first Iwata was a HP-CH which is the same as the one you're looking at buying but has a Mac valve which is for fine tuning the air flow, it is fitted with the standard 0.3 nozzle/needle and is a great all round brush. I've also got the HP-B which has got the 0.2 needle/nozzle which I use  for mottling and fine detail work. I use Gunze, Mr Color and Mr Paint and it sprays all of those paints all day long without any trouble at all. Iwatas have teflon seals so you will have no trouble with using lacquer based paints. H & S brushes don't but maybe they do now, if they don't and you're thinking of using any of those paints be prepared to be forever changing the seals. 

If you're going to be using water based paints such as Vallejo, something I wouldn't recommend, you may have trouble using them through a 0.2 set up as they seem to have a far bigger pigment to them. Which ever size nozzle you use them with you'll experience far more nozzle blockages etc than you will ever do using the paints I've mentioned.

Is there anyway of you trying the 2 airbrushes out before buying that way you'll get a little feeling as to what they're like to use.

Tim.

I've had both H&S and Iwata, but mine are the budget end of the range. Even though I'm always very careful with airbrushes, the Iwata nozzle cracked after 9 months, and I found that the replacement part wasn't far of the price of the whole airbrush. That's why I have got a H&S now, which has lasted 2 years so far without any problems.

I have also found the H&S able to do finer work and is much easier to clean. But of course that may not apply to the top end of the market.

However, I would suggest checking the price of replacement parts for each of them.

19 minutes ago, Gorby said:

the Iwata nozzle cracked after 9 months, and I found that the replacement part wasn't far of the price of the whole airbrush.

A nozzle of any airbrush wouldn't just crack by it self, that would be down to human error I'm afraid.

Also if thats the case I'd change where you purchase your spares from for example my Airbrush nozzle costs £40 all but a few pence.

https://airbrushes.com/parts_info.php?cPath=400_403_1_9_50&products_id=35

Where as the Airbrush costs at the moment £225,

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=400_403_1_9_50&products_id=35

some way off the price of a new brush!

• Like 1

Just now, tank152 said:

A nozzle of any airbrush wouldn't just crack by it self, that would be down to human error I'm afraid.

Also if thats the case I'd change where you purchase your spares from for example my Airbrush nozzle costs £40 all but a few pence.

But if you re-read my post, I said that my airbrush was at the budget end of the market - the Iwata Neo, which I bought for a little over £50, so £40 wasn't far off the price of a new airbrush. Yes it probably was me that damaged the nozzle, but if anything I was more careful with my first airbrush than I am with my second. I made it clear that my comments where about the quality of the budget models, and that may not be applicable to the top of the range.

All I am saying, is that it is worth comparing the price of the spare parts.  

14 minutes ago, tank152 said:

I had a nozzle shear on a new Iwata Custom micron (i.e. it sheared off at the screw as it had been overtightened at the factory) - with zero help from the Guarantee other than selling me a new nozzle for £48 - Still bitter about it over a year on, so they can go wrong.

I love my HP-CH, which is bullet proof in comparison but the Custom Micron is just too fussy (for fine stuff the Sotar 20-20 is better and way less finicky).

I've got an Infinity CR Plus 2 in 1 and hardly use it - the trigger is just too 'spongy' for my liking.

You do need to try them in the 'hand' if you can as it's a very personal thing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gorby said:

But if you re-read my post, I said that my airbrush was at the budget end of the market - the Iwata Neo, which I bought for a little over £50, so £40 wasn't far off the price of a new airbrush. Yes it probably was me that damaged the nozzle, but if anything I was more careful with my first airbrush than I am with my second. I made it clear that my comments where about the quality of the budget models, and that may not be applicable to the top of the range.

All I am saying, is that it is worth comparing the price of the spare parts.  

You can't compare the price of a nozzle for a CH against the price of a Neo! 

Take a look here for a price for yours.

https://airbrushes.com/parts_info.php?cPath=400_403_1_299&products_id=21056

Granted the parts for Iwatas cost more, but they're that well built you won't be needing to be changing many parts, apart from clumsiness! 

2 minutes ago, Peter Marshall said:

I had a nozzle shear on a new Iwata Custom micron (i.e. it sheared off at the screw as it had been overtightened at the factory) - with zero help from the Guarantee other than selling me a new nozzle for £48 - Still bitter about it over a year on, so they can go wrong.

I remember that, but even that was down to human error, but at the factory.

One thing I would recommend using now is the little socket wrench and ditch the little spanner you get with the brush, something you have probably already done?

Just now, tank152 said:

I remember that, but even that was down to human error, but at the factory.

One thing I would recommend using now is the little socket wrench and ditch the little spanner you get with the brush, something you have probably already done?

I was using their socket wrench rather than the little spanner. Just highlighting that bad things happen to all manufacturers, and I was very disappointed with the absence of any Warranty support at all , especially on the high end brush - apparently Nozzles and Needles aren't covered by the warranty regardless.

Anyway back to the initial question again - my personal airbrushes I use the most in order:

1) Iwata HP-CH - for just about anything 

2) Badger Sotar 20-20 - small detail work

3) Badger Renegade Krome with 0.4mm needle - Primers / Varnishes

H&S Infinity 2 in 1 and Iwata Custom Micron - both used though not go-to brushes.

Also got a couple of others (2 cheapo ebay chinese ones I use for anything that might damage a brush, like spraying pigments, Ultimate Apex ).

I don't think there is a single brush that will do everything, and I really do like having a separate brush for Primers / Varnishes with a bigger needle. 

If I had to have 1 brush it would be the HP-CH with probably the Apex as a Varnish / Primer brush.

Sorry Pete I wasn't directing the wrench recommendation to you as I guessed you'd already have one, perhaps I shouldn't have done that with quoting you.

I'm with you about having a separate airbrush for different jobs.

Before scrolling down the page and reading all the comments,I had considered adding my own by saying that the price of spares and the current build quality would make me shy away from the mighty,infallible "Iwata"  I certainly would not buy another. As for the suggestion that they only break when badly handled or misused,this would apply to any make. But to suggest that because something did break it WAS mishandled is way off beam-close to insulting to those (obviously) experienced airbrush users that have commented here.

I have been using Iwata for over 20 years,and still have my first HP-B and HP-Cs. The price of spare parts for them is quite scandalous,and I have  found them to be neither particularly well made nor long lasting (the genuine spares that is). Continuous failures of air valves and nozzles-the last being only last week.My "mishandling" was to use the correct spanner to demount a nozzle on my HP-C to thoroughly clean the entire airbrush.The nozzle had rotted into the threaded body and sheared. Many years ago I did break a nozzle due to careless fitting,and once I paid my (then) £30 for a new one I vowed I'd never make that mistake again! I can't comment on the HS airbrush,but for longevity and quality there are other choices. My vote-Richpen.....a bit like an Iwata,just better....

I would also be wary of any claim of "2 in 1"-as one poster has quite correctly says,for the full spectrum you may have to consider,eventually,several airbrushes,and I'd try and get one that does one job well. 

My 2 pence worth.

mtd

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tank152 said:

You can't compare the price of a nozzle for a CH against the price of a Neo! 

Take a look here for a price for yours.

https://airbrushes.com/parts_info.php?cPath=400_403_1_299&products_id=21056

Granted the parts for Iwatas cost more, but they're that well built you won't be needing to be changing many parts, apart from clumsiness! 

Look, I have problems with my memory, I don't know if the price for the nozzle was £40, £30, whatever, I certainly know I couldn't find it for the price from the site you mention. The internet is a big place, so we are not all aware of the same sites that you are aware of. At the time, on the sites I was aware of, the cost of the replacement parts for the H&S where roughly half of the Iwata. I'm glad I made the decision to swap, as the Ultra is in MY opinion, better made and much easier to dismantle – I found that little nut one the Iwata to be difficult to remove and replace, and I don't expect to have to buy something else in order to make that process easier.

I've never used an expensive airbrush, I should imagine that the quality of the parts is significantly better, but please accept that I am comparing MY experiences of the two brushes I have owned. I am particularly careful with airbrushes, we can't all afford £225 for one, and £50/£60 is a significant expense for me. IF the Iwata nozzle was damaged do to my clumsiness, why has the H&S managed to survive my apparent mishandling?

It is obvious that you won't hear a bad word said again Iwata, but @Ilie Mihai asked for our options and as such I am allowed to state mine without being treated like a clumsy idiot.

Thank you @mollythedog, I was feeling very belittled, but you weren't far off with 'insulted'.

22 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Look, I have problems with my memory, I don't know if the price for the nozzle was £40, £30, whatever, I certainly know I couldn't find it for the price from the site you mention. The internet is a big place, so we are not all aware of the same sites that you are aware of. At the time, on the sites I was aware of, the cost of the replacement parts for the H&S where roughly half of the Iwata. I'm glad I made the decision to swap, as the Ultra is in MY opinion, better made and much easier to dismantle – I found that little nut one the Iwata to be difficult to remove and replace, and I don't expect to have to buy something else in order to make that process easier.

I've never used an expensive airbrush, I should imagine that the quality of the parts is significantly better, but please accept that I am comparing MY experiences of the two brushes I have owned. I am particularly careful with airbrushes, we can't all afford £225 for one, and £50/£60 is a significant expense for me. IF the Iwata nozzle was damaged do to my clumsiness, why has the H&S managed to survive my apparent mishandling?

It is obvious that you won't hear a bad word said again Iwata, but @Ilie Mihai asked for our options and as such I am allowed to state mine without being treated like a clumsy idiot.

Thank you @mollythedog, I was feeling very belittled, but you weren't far off with 'insulted'.

Mate,

I'm sorry if you feel insulted, but I'm sticking to what I've already said, and I'll be sleeping easy in my bed! Maybe you should get things right or maybe do a little research before you post them as someone will most likely pull you up on what you have said. Why not take some positives from my post in that you've now been made aware of a site that you was previously unaware of!

You have posted up some great links in the past which I for one have appreciated, so lets agree to disagree on this one ;)

Tim.

16 hours ago, Ilie Mihai said:

Well...the guy in the models shop recommended the H&S. My first thought was Iwata too, though.

What about the triggers? Which one is better and gives more control?

Why would you pick the Iwata against the H&S. What are the cons of the H&S?

Needles/nozzles are easier to change and less prone to damage with H & S while changing them than Iwata. Went the Iwata way at first but wouldn't touch one with a barge pole now.

Just my 2 cents...................................................................

• Like 1

We all defend what we like and use, so for me it's Iwata, had a H&S Infiniy and just couldn't get on with the trigger, now I stick to what I like and know.Never broken a nozzel off one yet, but I don't tend to strip it down that far too often as I can get it clean without resorting to removing the nozzel.

What I would recommend is to put a little bees wax on the threads of the nozzel before you refit them, makes it far easier to remove the nozzel later on when you do want to strip it fully down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter Marshall said:

I love my HP-CH, which is bullet proof in comparison but the Custom Micron is just too fussy (for fine stuff the Sotar 20-20 is better and way less finicky).

I've got an Infinity CR Plus 2 in 1 and hardly use it - the trigger is just too 'spongy' for my liking.

You do need to try them in the 'hand' if you can as it's a very personal thing

No reason to have a spongy trigger on the Infinity. You can alter the trigger settings very simpy.  There is a little nut in the open handle that changes the tension on the spring behind the trigger to give more or less resistance when you pull the trigger back. You can also change the tension on the air valve plunger bu screwing the flat screw on it's base in  and out a little.

On the damaged nozzle, I don;t know of any airbrush manufacturer that warranties consumables.  Airbrush warranties normally only cover manufacturing defects..

Paul 

• Like 1

Which brush is best is a very personal decision.  I would try both and see which feels more natural in the hand and which will cover the areas and details that you need covering.

The HP-C+ is a 0.3mm nozzlle and a very large 9ml paint cup.   So really aimed at small area to reasonably fine work.  If you want a brush for fine details go for the HP-B+ with the 1.8ml cup, (or the side fed HP-SB plus) that allows you to see down the centre of the brush better and has a fine 0.2mm nozzle.

The Infinity cr plus with 0.2 & 04mm nozzles and 2ml and 5ml paint cups covers a lot of bases.   Preset handle with memory setting, very useful for doing things like repetative details work over a period of time. The brush can also be used with out a paint cup on for fine detail and nothing to get in the way.  Unlike the Iwata  you can also add larger paint cup and a larger 0.6mm nozzle for very large areas and a 0.15mm nozzle for very fine details.  

The H&S is much simpler to strip down than the Iwata. The nozzle is big enough to hold and clean in the hand. Spares are also a lot cheaper. For example nozzles £13 or £14, rather than the Iwata £40. And an O ring set for the brush is £10 for a full set, rather than £6 for a single O ring on the Iwata.  

I know which ones we sell the most of, but it's a personal preference, so if possible try them before you buy, to make sure it'll do what you need it to. It's what is right for you that matters.

Paul

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mollythedog said:

Before scrolling down the page and reading all the comments,I had considered adding my own by saying that the price of spares and the current build quality would make me shy away from the mighty,infallible "Iwata"  I certainly would not buy another. As for the suggestion that they only break when badly handled or misused,this would apply to any make. But to suggest that because something did break it WAS mishandled is way off beam-close to insulting to those (obviously) experienced airbrush users that have commented here.

I have been using Iwata for over 20 years,and still have my first HP-B and HP-Cs. The price of spare parts for them is quite scandalous,and I have  found them to be neither particularly well made nor long lasting (the genuine spares that is). Continuous failures of air valves and nozzles-the last being only last week.My "mishandling" was to use the correct spanner to demount a nozzle on my HP-C to thoroughly clean the entire airbrush.The nozzle had rotted into the threaded body and sheared. Many years ago I did break a nozzle due to careless fitting,and once I paid my (then) £30 for a new one I vowed I'd never make that mistake again! I can't comment on the HS airbrush,but for longevity and quality there are other choices. My vote-Richpen.....a bit like an Iwata,just better....

I would also be wary of any claim of "2 in 1"-as one poster has quite correctly says,for the full spectrum you may have to consider,eventually,several airbrushes,and I'd try and get one that does one job well. 

My 2 pence worth.

mtd

H&S  have been producing 2in1 airbrushes for many years.  They don't claim to cover the every eventuality.  The aim is to cover both fine detail and general area painting, with two nozzle sets that take a few seconds to swap over and different cup sizes.  Beginners often go for an Ultra 2in1(at £80) which is a simplified Evolution design. It has a 0.2 & 0.4mm nozzle set and 2ml and 5ml paint cups.  A lot of people then later on reserve this brush for primer or varnishing & buy a second brush like an Infinity Solo for fine detail work.

Paul

• Like 3

Perhaps the OP should use the same method ad I used before I chose to go Iwata, all I did was go into W. H. Smiths and browse through all the modelling mags, just about all the contributers used Iwatas, I got in touch with David Parker from Airmodeller asked him a few questions as I liked and still do, his work after I noticed he used iwatas. The method has served me well.

I've tried using H & S airbrushes on Paul's stand just about everything I'm at a show and apart from not liking the cosmetics of them they just don't feel right in my hand.

I don't think I've ever noticed a Iwata set up to try on Paul's stand either so people only really have the chance to try different H & S airbrushes so folk aren't really given the chance to try both types. I think I know Paul well enough to say that!!

I've never snapped anything on any of my Iwatas which range from the Revolution to a Custom Micron. They have never let me down.

As we have seen we will all speak up for whichever we use, there are people that have used both with some preferring the Iwata and some the H & S. There's no right or wrong make to use, it's all down to whatever suits you.

Tim.

38 minutes ago, tank152 said:

Perhaps the OP should use the same method ad I used before I chose to go Iwata, all I did was go into W. H. Smiths and browse through all the modelling mags, just about all the contributers used Iwatas, I got in touch with David Parker from Airmodeller asked him a few questions as I liked and still do, his work after I noticed he used iwatas. The method has served me well.

I've tried using H & S airbrushes on Paul's stand just about everything I'm at a show and apart from not liking the cosmetics of them they just don't feel right in my hand.

I don't think I've ever noticed a Iwata set up to try on Paul's stand either so people only really have the chance to try different H & S airbrushes so folk aren't really given the chance to try both types. I think I know Paul well enough to say that!!

I've never snapped anything on any of my Iwatas which range from the Revolution to a Custom Micron. They have never let me down.

As we have seen we will all speak up for whichever we use, there are people that have used both with some preferring the Iwata and some the H & S. There's no right or wrong make to use, it's all down to whatever suits you.

Tim.

Hi Tim,  You are very careful with your tools, I guess that discipline comes from work in with tools at work.

In the early year, after Aztek let themselves down by supplying brushes that weren't even put together right, it was all Iwata. We initially sold loads of Eclipses to people. Then after a couple of years found we had to sell them  HP-plus/Hi-line brushes for fine detail work as there isn't a fine nozzle available for the Eclipse.

After a few years I tried an H&S Evolution that Phil Flory at the MK show one year and after about  2 minutes the decision to stock them was made. I liked the simplicity and ease of maintenance as well as the feel of the brush and lower cost. These days it's rare that we sell an Iwata. I used to have Iwata display brushes, but they have always been expensive to have a full set of demo brushes. It used to just be an Eclipse from memory, or try one with water through it.  I normally have a box full of Iwata brushes at a show, but would need another table to be able to display them all. Theses days the H&S modular design makes it a lot easier to be able to configure a set of demo brushes as needed, swapping features from one brush to another as needed.    I've stocked both lines since(, as well as recently adding Sparmax brushes). Both have their pluses and minuses. Personally I like the flexibility, ease of maintenance and cheap spares that the H&S range offers. But everyone has their own favourite, as you say it's what suits you.

Paul  

• Like 1

Paul,

Very well put.

You're probably right about the work thing, from day 1 as an apprentice it was drilled into me to look after my tools. Even now we all use the same kind of welding plants at work but some folk continually have trouble with them whilst some never do and it's all down to the way they're treated.

It makes me smile how folk defend whatever airbrush they use as if their life depends on it, and I'm as guilty as anyone!

Tim.

• Like 1