Breda Ba.65 A-80 Special Hobby 1/48

As those far younger than i would say OMG .I have built a number of short run kits including some by Special hobby and this one is the most crude in its manufacturing .

There is going to be a massive amount of cleaning up and surface preparation .

Now iv got that out of the way ,lets begine

35897134930_319a773f49_b.jpgIMG_0051 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

The instructions come in the form of some very basic and confuseing pages .  My first investigations of other peoples builds on the net show the seat to be constructed in two different ways . A build here on B/M which i had found a few months ago with lots of clear pics has been struck down with photobucketitus  .

35897137480_7ffe0427f2_b.jpgbr1 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

I have made a start on the seat

36250094856_61cb55b09b_b.jpgIMG_0054 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Probably took around 1 hour to clead parts off

36290592155_affa5b5fe9.jpgIMG_0069 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Many of the thin tubular parts have the problem where the moulds dont quite line up so the seam is very difficult to remove.

36290614645_6a987d149a_b.jpgIMG_0037 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

This is a prime example  . Its going to be a session just to get this part ship shape .

I am hopeing this project will make the He  115 i,m doing for my  next G/B not as daunting as its reputation sugests.

• Like 5

On 30/07/2017 at 15:29, Arniec said:

Good choice. I have got this one in my stash, so I will watch this one with interest.:popcorn:

Cheers,

Come on Arnold ,get it out of the stash and on to the bench ,i could do with a wing man for this build (probably the hardest kit iv attempted )

Two Ba 65's in one G/B would be cool. :)

• Like 1

Never mind the flash, just cutting that tubular section (and I assume there's more than one?) away from the sprue without breaking it is a major op.  Mind you, there's some pretty nasty sprue gates to remove on my Harvard too, razor saw's going to be busy!  Good luck with your unusual subject Alistair.

Max

• Like 1

12 hours ago, galgos said:

Never mind the flash, just cutting that tubular section (and I assume there's more than one?) away from the sprue without breaking it is a major op.  Mind you, there's some pretty nasty sprue gates to remove on my Harvard too, razor saw's going to be busy!  Good luck with your unusual subject Alistair.

Max

At least it's molded in plastic rather then the resin used in their Anson kit.  Complete waste of time, effort & money & into the bin.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Graham T said:

At least it's molded in plastic rather then the resin used in their Anson kit.  Complete waste of time, effort & money & into the bin.

Can't agree there Graham, I've made 2 Classic Airframes Ansons (SH bought CA's moulds presumably) and whilst admittedly being challenging they make up into beautiful models. I'm currently doing a 1/32 vacuform Anson, THAT'S difficult! 

On 2 augustus 2017 at 10:05 PM, Mottlemaster said:

Come on Arnold ,get it out of the stash and on to the bench ,i could do with a wing man for this build (probably the hardest kit iv attempted )

Two Ba 65's in one G/B would be cool. :)

I Will think about it.:D

Cheers,

• Like 1

On 03/08/2017 at 21:44, galgos said:

Can't agree there Graham, I've made 2 Classic Airframes Ansons (SH bought CA's moulds presumably) and whilst admittedly being challenging they make up into beautiful models. I'm currently doing a 1/32 vacuform Anson, THAT'S difficult! 

Looking on the positive side it has injection glazing not vac , mind you initial tests show they may not fit .

22 hours ago, Natter said:

Mmmmmmm......  Flickr good, Photobucket bad.

Natter i'm just down the road from you in Culmstock . (nr Uffculm)

Here is a link to the Special hobby website page with the colour instructions and painting guide for the Ba 65

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/breda-ba-65a-80.html?cur=1&force_sid=11k5ta8ae0nuebm6csvi97rn17&lang=1&redirected=1

Making a cautious start on assembling the complex tabular cockpit  frame i have attached left and right sides to rear frame as this position was certain . Assembled it against a jig to make sure pieces set at right angles . 

36042741510_72b5ed10a4_z.jpgP1020407 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Looking at the picture magnified i can see i still have some cleaning off to do .

• Like 4

I have my sides also from the sprue, But I will do the cleaning up more to where the cockpit sits. The rest will hardly be seen when the fuselage is closed. The plastic is quite soft and that luckely gives it some flexability.

The placing of the fuel tank is in the first drawing incorrect. take a good look at later drawings where it should sit.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel tank position Arnold.

I have had difficulty with the position of the control column . I assmbled thus and found the column pushed too far forward which will give me a problem later on with the instrument panel .

36061147710_4a66e5c8c3_b.jpgP1020408 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

I think attaching leaning back ,not at right angles to part  ( A ) will work better .

• Like 2

The cockpit is now in place . A dry run keeping frame work in place to check nothing is fouling the fuselage sides

36380630981_1265d9e38e_b.jpgP1020409 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

The next part is the bomb rack that sits behind the cockpit which involves some complicated etch rolling and positioning above the 4 holes in the lower wing section

36350107142_3ae463fe31_b.jpgP1020411 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Reading of the experiences of those that have gone before me it is easy to get the bomb rack out of line so im thinking ttat i need to assemble the wing sections to enable some good dry runs (being a Very limited run kit this is not easy as no locating pins and very sloppy fit so will have to glue wing parts ..... which leads to another problem ... Undercarage needs to be assembed at same time according to instructions , not something to lookforward to protecting for rest of build

36380834191_1800b83c32_b.jpgP1020413 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

I have found a build thred where it seems that with care this can be delayed until the last stages  , so im exploring that .

This is definatly a chicken and egg kit

• Like 6

Good progress Alistair.

O, I found out that the fuel tank is to wide for the frame and it pushes the frame out. So if you make it have a dryfit.

Thanxs on the tip for the bombbay.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you Adrian and Stix

Work on this one has been TEMPORARILY put on hold as work load has has got in the way

Each year i send 240,000 seeds off to a large seed packing company who pack them in to 24,000 packets of ten . This year their packing machine has got problems so My wife , me and one of our children are doing them by hand . We have been working now for 3 weeks 7 days a week and 15 hrs a day and will finish ( i hope) on Tuesday .

We then go off to Morocco for a weeks holiday to get over it and give our eyes a rest .

Then its back to the Breda

• Like 2