Martin B-10. 1/72 Williams Brothers.

Jb65rams

My entry for this group build is the Williams Brothers 1/72 Martin B-10.

This is the recently re-released boxing. 

Martin B10 072 Williams Brothers 01 Box Shot

This has 17!, yes seventeen colour schemes. Currently undecided as to which one, but will have yellow wings, limits me to just 10 options.

Martin B10 072 Williams Brothers 02

Martin B10 072 Williams Brothers 03

Instructions and decal sheet. 

Martin B10 072 Williams Brothers 04

• Like 10

Welcome to the GB, JB :welcome:

I didn't realise that these old William Bros kits were being re-released.  I also hadn't appreciated just how much the B-10 looks like a flying-boat in profile!

Cliff

Great and brave choice :). I would love to do this in the Netherlands 'Orange triangle' scheme, but not currently up to it.

It's supposed to be a little tricky; Looking forward to watching this go together.

:popcorn: 

Good luck for an enjoyable build,

TonyT

• Like 1

I've built this kit.  It goes together quite easily.  The only hard bits are that there's no locating pins, and that the assembly of the cockpit interiors is a bit vague.  It turns out as a lovely plane.

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Great choice, Sir!

This can make an excellent model. I am very curious to find out if the clear pieces on this are improved from the original. I recently built one of the old kits, and had a good time at it....

• Like 1

Nice choice. I've always wanted to see one of these built and join Tony on a NEIAF version (so that's my choice!) 

Thanks for adding a photo of the decal sheet for this new boxing. There's plenty of choices to be had. 

Looking forward to the next WIP post and wish you best of luck with this build. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

Great to see this one underway.

As for the choice of markings as much as I quite like the pre-war US markings I too am leaning towards the NEIAF scheme but also really like the wartime Thai scheme, who couldn't like a national marking with an Elephant on it! It would certainly be different.

Craig.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

.... but also really like the wartime Thai scheme, who couldn't like a national marking with an Elephant on it! It would certainly be different.

Now there's a thought.. you could also down a couple of these whilst putting this kit together! 

36638448806_19dc947c7a_b.jpg

Cheers (Big Ears!!).. Dave 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 4:28 PM, Old Man said:

Great choice, Sir!

This can make an excellent model. I am very curious to find out if the clear pieces on this are improved from the original. I recently built one of the old kits, and had a good time at it....

Don't know about the original, the the clear pieces are quite thick and will need some work to get them to fit. Binned the smaller windows, will use Krystal Klear to glaze them.

On 8/20/2017 at 9:04 AM, modelling minion said:

Great to see this one underway.

As for the choice of markings as much as I quite like the pre-war US markings I too am leaning towards the NEIAF scheme but also really like the wartime Thai scheme, who couldn't like a national marking with an Elephant on it! It would certainly be different.

Craig.

The elephant decals are tempting but will be finishing in olive drab fuselage and yellow wings. Many (many) years ago I first saw a picture of a B10 in a kids annual, it was in OD/yellow and ever since I wanted to build one in those colours. Just took me a long time to find a kit.

Those beers are tempting!!

A bit of progress, fuselage joined and parts primed. Started to clean unp the flash on the smaller bits, it is a time consuming exercise.

Martin B10 072 Williams Brothers 10

Wings dry fitted, will paint them separately then join when finished to simplify masking.

Martin B10 072 Williams Brothers 11

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made a start on the radials,2no Wright Cyclones.

Martin B10 072 Williams Brothers 15

Finally made a decision on the markings, will be finished as an aircraft of the 31st Bombardment Squadron.  Primarily because of the colourful cowlings.

Martin B10 072 Williams Brothers 17

Engines in place. using Krystal CLear for the smaller windows, bomb aimer's window.

Martin B10 072 Williams Brothers 18

Started on the canopies. Instead of masking the transparencies, i decided to use black decal strip, followed by a dip in Klear to seal them.

Martin B10 072 Williams Brothers 19

• Like 6