Dragon 1/72 M4A1(76)W VVSS - ***FINISHED*** and in the Gallery - 02/10/17

PlaStix

It will actually be a while before I start this project but this is the kit I have been planning to build for this GB since April 2015, when I signed up for it:

IMG_9106

As most will already know the M4 Sherman was the most numerous medium tank used by the United States and some of the other Western Allies in World War II. It was found to be generally reliable, relatively cheap to produce and available in great numbers. Thousands were distributed through the Lend-Lease program to the British Commonwealth and Soviet Union. It was named after the American Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman.

The actual M4A1(76)W, which is the Sherman Tank this Dragon kit is based on, had a Continental Wright R975 Whirlwind 9 cylinder radial gasoline engine which obviously makes it suitable for this GB.

When I get chance I will take some photos of the contents of the box.

Once I have completed my builds in the 'From Russia with Love' and 'Made in Britain II' GBs I will make a start on this one.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 9

I would never have thought that any Shermans had Radial engies . It goes to show what can be learned from B.M  forums . When my Wife gets in from her yoga class i will greet her with .....did you know some shermans had ......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

Hi Stix and welcome to the GB :welcome:

Thank you for bringing the first armour to the party :)

Cliff

Thank you Cliff. No problem and hopefully I won't be on my own for too long!! :worry:

Kind regards,

Stix

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/07/2017 at 08:50, modelling minion said:

Nice choice Stix, thought you might go for a Sherman. Will this be part of another cracking diorama with perhaps either an La-5/7 or a P-47 depending on which operator you decide to build? A Soviet one would be nice though :) .

Thank you Craig. Not sure about the presentation yet  - I'm a bit late to the party and I still need to finish my From Russia with Love GB project and I'm planning on taking part in the Blitzbuild GB next weekend - so we will see.

On 30/07/2017 at 20:07, Ozzy said:

:popcorn::popcorn: if you shortened the barrel you could also build a DD tank?

Hi Ozzy. I think, as I mentioned to Craig above, I'm going to make it OOB due to limitations of time.

I'm planning on starting this tomorrow morning so I got it out and got all the parts washed in warm soapy water.

Box contents:

IMG_9530

Close-ups of some of the Sprues:

IMG_9531

IMG_9532

IMG_9533

IMG_9535

IMG_9536

IMG_9537

The kit includes some PE:

IMG_9538

The decals:

IMG_9539

Some twisted wire and the tracks:

IMG_9540

Some closer views of some of the parts to how some of the nice detail:

IMG_9541

IMG_9542

IMG_9543

The instructions:

IMG_9545

IMG_9546

Until I was taking the photos I had forgotten that this kit was bit a bit of a bargain!:

IMG_9547

Even at £10 it would have been good value for what's in the box.

Well, having looked through this GB, so far it looks like I'm the only AFV builder at the minute. Hopefully more will be along soon?

Can't wait to get started tomorrow morning.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

On 18/08/2017 at 15:45, modelling minion said:

And I can't wait to see you at work on it!

I  do like the look of the 2-tone camo schemes on the instructions, makes a change from all over olive drab.

Hi Craig and thank you for your comments. It is good to see the two tone camo schemes - although I quite like the idea of the Polish version which is, unfortunately, all Olive Drab! Not fully decided yet though.

On 18/08/2017 at 16:39, Ozzy said:

What a bargain.

Certainly was!

Only a brief update - first off yesterday I started by preparing all the running gear parts ready for painting - there was quite a bit of tidying up to do:

IMG_9566

Then I got a couple of coats of thinned Humbrol Olive Drab applied:

IMG_9698

This morning I did an overall Revell Gunship Grey wash over these followed by a targeted wash of Revell's Anthracite and finally dry-brushed them with a lightened version of the base coat to which I added a touch of matt yellow. No photos yet though.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

As mentioned above - the parts drybrushed and tyres painted with Revell's Anthracite:

IMG_9702

IMG_9703

IMG_9705

I also got the front and rear parts attached to the lower hull:

IMG_9706

IMG_9707

The assembly has been reasonably okay but there are a few areas where the location of parts is a bit hit'n'miss.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

On 20/08/2017 at 20:21, SimonT said:

Great start! I shall be copying your technique for highlighting the running gear, yours always look great and to scale.

Thank you Simon and I'm looking forward to following your Firefly project.

I got a bit of assembly done on mine today:

IMG_9715

I also got the last bits attached to the lower hull before I can paint it but nothing worth a photo.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Yesterday I got more done on this. First off I got about three coats of thinned Humbrol matt Olive Green brushed onto the lower hull:

IMG_9839

I gave the tracks a couple of coats of thinned Revell's Anthracite before dry-brushing them with Humbrol Gunmetal:

IMG_9840

I fitted the hatches on the front of the upper hull:

IMG_9841

Before spending a large amount of time fitting the smallest PE parts I have ever worked with! The instructions were rubbish for these which doesn't bode well for the rest of the tiny PE parts in the kit. I ended up looking online to see where they should be located - Dragon seems to show them as if they should be glued flat to the sides of the fenders:

IMG_9842

I ended up with a headache after fiddling around with these!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Got a day off work today so got a bit more done. Revell Gunship Grey wash, then a targeted wash of Anthracite in and around the detail plus a dry-brushing with a lightened version of the base coat on the lower hull to bring out the detail:

IMG_9849

IMG_9855

More tiny parts added to the front and rear of the upper hull.

IMG_9853

IMG_9852

I'm trying to add them in an order so that the most fragile go on last. Also, having looked at some of the PE, I've decided to only use any I feel confident about not breaking once added or are only provided as photoetched parts. Speaking of PE here are the two tiny ones added today:

IMG_9850

I used epoxy resin to fix these in place rather than CA glue.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

The PE's looking good Stix.  I'm interested in your use of epoxy resin as an adhesive - is that not rather thick for small delicate parts? (obviously not, as your's look great!).

Cliff

• Like 1

On 8/29/2017 at 22:32, modelling minion said:

Some nice work here again Stix, I can understand working with those tiny PE parts giving you a headache!

Good to see your trademark highlighting coming into effect, always impresses me.

Hi Craig and thank you for your comments. I did question my sanity whilst working on those tiny fender parts - I'm pretty certain they are not going to be even that noticeable once the paint is on! My highlighting does seem to work quite nicely on kits were the detail is quite sharp and Dragon and Tamiya do this well. On some kits the detail is a little soft and the dry-brushing doesn't show up so well.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 30/08/2017 at 07:36, CliffB said:

The PE's looking good Stix.  I'm interested in your use of epoxy resin as an adhesive - is that not rather thick for small delicate parts? (obviously not, as your's look great!).

Cliff

Hi Cliff and thank you. I decided I want to use epoxy because I needed time to move the tiny PE parts into place. I had to use it very sparingly but it seems to have done the trick on the small grills. I don't think it would have been any good for the very tiny fender supports where I did use CA glue. I will pick and chose where I use epoxy on the other parts.

On 30/08/2017 at 21:11, Hewy said:

Your high standards are apparent yet again stix

Glynn

You are very kind Glynn, thank you.

On 31/08/2017 at 21:27, nimrod54 said:

Very nice work as always Stix. Have you tried using Gator Grip glue, they do a thin blend for photo-etch and it cleans up with water. Available from Modelling Tools (Little Cars). HTH

Link Gator Grip

Hi John and thank you very much. I haven't tried Gator Grip - so thank you for the link and will definitely try some.

This weekend has mostly been taken up with household jobs but I have still managed to get some bits done on the Sherman.

First I got the rubberised sections of the track painted with a thin wash of Revell's Anthracite. It looks a bit stark at the moment but will hopefully look better when the weathering is done:

IMG_9863

I got the basics of the weathering applied to the hull using stippled washes of a variety of colours plus I have added some touches of Gunmetal here and there where paint may have been rubbed away. Once this was done I got the running gear attached:

IMG_9865

IMG_9867

IMG_9872

IMG_9873

I thought I would include a couple of photos to show how small this model is:

IMG_9876

IMG_9875

I guess it will be time for the tracks next! A quick test fit seemed to show that they are a little short but I have managed to stretch Dragon DS tracks before. That may be next weekend though.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 7

This morning I decided to get the tracks fitted. I knew they were going to be difficult from having read a variety of things about them. A quick test fit proved that this pair were about 2 and a 1/2 track links too short. So the first job was to warm them slightly, which I did between my hands. I had already painted them and didn't want to risk warm water or a hairdryer. Each length of track took me about 3/4 of an hour of patient manipulation to stretch them to just about the right length. With the first length I got a little impatient and tried stretching that last little bit while the tracks were in place and of course the drive sprocket and first set of wheels came off! With these Superglued back in place and some more stretching I managed to get the first track length attached. I took more time over the second length and that went on more smoothly. Well they are not perfect but at least they are on:

IMG_9883

IMG_9884

They need a bit more weathering and tidying up but they are going to have to do!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6