Tamiya 1:48 Tilly in desert colours

3 hours ago, SimonL said:

35428352804_627d46a59a_b.jpg

I like that 'splinter' scheme - was it stolen by the Luftwaffe???

What on earth is a Caunter scheme??? - I love this place - always learning something new - tell us more...

• Like 1

@BIG X: Caunter was not one single scheme, but a short lived camo technique used in the early years of the desert war based on the WW1 naval "Dazzle" schemes. It used three colours, from a choice of five, (though the mid tone was always meant to be the same) in patterns specific to each type of vehicle. So, for example, all 15cwt trucks were supposed to be painted identically, all tanks identically to each other, but different to the trucks. Mike Starmer has a book on the subject that gives the history, colours and patterns of the scheme, drop him a line on here and he should be able to help you.

@SimonL: Love how the Tilly looks in Caunter. Good job.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

Loving your build and enjoying all the details.  I can't get enough of the 1/48 armour and soft skins as they are such a nice compromise of scale details, time to complete and cost.  I hope to see more soon.  Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Yes, I've been rather bitten by the bug! My next kit may slow me down a bit though - I am going to have a go at the Bronco 1:48 Staghound. Bit more challenging I suspect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bull-nut said:

@BIG X: Caunter was not one single scheme, but a short lived camo technique used in the early years of the desert war based on the WW1 naval "Dazzle" schemes. It used three colours, from a choice of five, (though the mid tone was always meant to be the same) in patterns specific to each type of vehicle. So, for example, all 15cwt trucks were supposed to be painted identically, all tanks identically to each other, but different to the trucks. Mike Starmer has a book on the subject that gives the history, colours and patterns of the scheme, drop him a line on here and he should be able to help you.

@SimonL: Love how the Tilly looks in Caunter. Good job.

Thanks @bull-nut, saved me the task of explanation :-) And thanks for the vote of confidence.

• Like 1

Gloss cote on, and then the limited number of decals (well compared to the aircraft I am more used to making). I used markings for the 7th Armoured Division - seemed appropriate.

36194253681_4e82558159_b.jpg

36286576686_8c0d4f0801_b.jpg

I'll leave then for a while to settle down. Not the best decals I have come across.

• Like 3

That is looking so good Simon! The camo and decals look brilliant! Well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

I think you can get away with quite a bit, markings wise. Anyone challenges you , just ask them to produce the photographic evidence! But whatever, it's looking good. You're right about the Staghound. Anything produced by Bronco is definitely not a "pour glue in one end, take out completed kit from other end" type of kit.

John.

• Like 1

Looking good Simon - glad to see the beige seat covers are on - nice.  Brilliant paint scheme too.  I can't wait to see some subtle weathering (I'm rubbish at that).

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments.

@Bullbasket I picked up a Bronco 1:35 Chaffee in British colours very cheap at a recent model expo, took one look inside and wondered what had I done!  I am hoping the Staghound will be a gentler introduction.

Back to the Tilly. Just a the first few grubby washes with raw umber Acrylic heavily diluted with floor polish to start the process of weathering.

35514283254_be845a88bb_b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SimonL said:

I picked up a Bronco 1:35 Chaffee in British colours very cheap at a recent model expo, took one look inside and wondered what had I done!  I am hoping the Staghound will be a gentler introduction.

I've got the British Chaffee in the stash and will get around to it one day. Given the smaller scale, I would think that Bronco have made some compromises with the Staghound and therefore made it simpler than it's 1/35th cousin.

John.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2017 at 10:20 PM, Bullbasket said:

I've got the British Chaffee in the stash and will get around to it one day. Given the smaller scale, I would think that Bronco have made some compromises with the Staghound and therefore made it simpler than it's 1/35th cousin.

John.

We can hope so.......

19 hours ago, AgentG said:

This is really looking good. 

Amazing work on the wee beastie.

G

Thank you!

On the final stages now. I added some chipping and a few washes of heavily thinned Italeri Acrylic sand. I also added the headlights, which will need some weathering as well. I added a single fishing weight to give abit of heft to the completed item.

35547399734_5561e4f8b3_b.jpg

35986283080_e6fbc32f97_b.jpg

36214772352_96ea7e3abf_b.jpg

36382858155_2bf8fb3e7a_b.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good! I do love caunter schemes. The fishing weight is always a good idea- I know it probably doesn't make much difference, but they always feel a little more 'planted' on the display shelf.

Are you going to add a layer of 'dust' to bind it all together?

Will

Thanks Will, and yes that's the plan (although I am anxious not to over do it). Had a slight mishap after the photos and will need to use superglue to put the headlights back on!

4 hours ago, SimonL said:

Thanks Will, and yes that's the plan (although I am anxious not to over do it). Had a slight mishap after the photos and will need to use superglue to put the headlights back on!

Exactly the same thing happened to me - they are so fragile and your fingers do tend to gravitate to that area of the bodywork.

Almost, but not quite finished. Got the windscreen in, which was actually rather fiddly. Not totally happy with it, but it will do. After a bit more chipping and general grubbying I gave a once over with Italeri Acryl Matt varnish with a touch Italeri Acryl Sand to give a bit of a final "dusty" look. I have a couple of bits to add (like the shovel on the cab roof), but this one is almost done.

36379361996_fbbe497a08_b.jpg

35616957063_025cafc825_b.jpg

36379363496_a4dfa66738_b.jpg

36379363726_b64097230a_b.jpg

• Like 5