Airfix Henschel Hs 123, 1/72 scale

I've finally managed to take some photos, drag them off the camera onto Flickr and get round to writing a post!

This is Airfix's pretty venerable Henschel Hs 123, in gentleman's scale. The WIP thread shows the scratched cockpit, replacement bombs and engine fettling I did. All told, it fits pretty well and the cabane struts moulded in situ make fitting the upper wing fairly simple, compared to some biplanes.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235022065-henschel-hs-123-airfix-172-scale/

The Hs 123 was something of a prodigy. An early dive bomber design, it proved itself to be highly effective not only in this role but especially as a close-support aircraft. By the time war broke out, the Hs 123 was due for replacement by the Ju 87, but several factors kept it operating. It was highly resistant to battle damage (especially compared to liquid-cooled designs) and could operate from the most undeveloped of airfields. Apparently the test for suitability as a landing ground was to find a large enough field, then drive across it in a car at 30mph. If the car (and presumably the driver!) survived intact, then the field was fit to use. This allowed the Hs 123 to operate at the very edge of the front line, and respond to requests for air support almost by return. 

Never numerous, it was kept in service by combing airframes out of training schools, engineering depots and allegedly even scrapyards to maintain numbers. Despite its totally anachronistic appearance, with any sort of fighter cover it was still effective over the battlefield until late into the war, and even in 1944, Field Marshal Wolfram Von Richthofen asked whether the design could be put back into production! The jigs and tools had been dismantled years earlier, so nothing came of the request.

Paints are Tamiya mixes, dirt/weathering is oil washes, and the markings are those of SchlG 1, operating on the Eastern Front in 1942, and were cobbled up from the spares box. Photographed on a "real" airfield, my Henschel is almost out of place!

35726055390_7b965eb14b_k_d.jpg

35947898022_dad09367d4_k_d.jpg

36116915605_43a8100810_k_d.jpg

35983018311_b56fd94ecf_k_d.jpg

36074996776_33918629db_k_d.jpg

35982659011_e9867e1fd7_k_d.jpg

• Like 25

It's great Mitch :clap:!

This Airfix kit is still very good; you've really done it justice.

One of my favourite Aircraft.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi Mitch,

this looks real good. I keep looking at this kit in the stash, but I need more doc to build it...

I really like what you achieved!

JR

• Like 1

Very nice result indeed.

BTW - I am stil considering this 40-years old kit by Airfix a good one. I did it once about 1976-7... 

Cheers

J-W   

P.S.

Mitch, I am trying now to reconstruct my old post. Some 1/10th I upload already to Flickr (300 ot of 2900 :( ) How about you? Have you used also this ... Photobucket...? Unpleaseant work

J-W

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JWM said:

Very nice result indeed.

BTW - I am stil considering this 40-years old kit by Airfix a good one. I did it once about 1976-7... 

Cheers

J-W   

P.S.

Mitch, I am trying now to reconstruct my old post. Some 1/10th I upload already to Flickr (300 ot of 2900 :( ) How about you? Have you used also this ... Photobucket...? Unpleaseant work

J-W

Jerzy, I have that job to look forward to. I am not expecting to enjoy it...:(

• Like 1