Ancient Revell Boeing 707 Northwest Orient 1/144ish

This is a year 2000 re-release from Revell USA of the ancient Boeing 707 kit.

Originally boxed as United Boeing 720 by Revell USA,its still the same old Boeing 707-100 from many decades ago.

There had been some changes in the molds over the years;There are the depicted one that has no cabin windows and the cockpit has holes instead of a clear part ,smaller tail fin without antenna and the very early Pratt & Whitney engines.

Later it was released with a clear part cockpit and the taller tail fin with the antenna included and the Pratt & whitney engines that were common on most of the 707s.

When I started this kit,I planned to build it OOB with the decals included.As being a relatively new kit (2000) the decals looked great.

But when I came to the stage of decaling the model,I soon found out that the decals were not as good as they looked...they completely dissolved into thousands of small pieces floating in the water....:S

As I already had some troubles with the kits fit,I didnt want to look for a repalcement aftermarket decal set,so I decided to use the Northwest Orient decals from my Minicraft 707-320.

This also then included the change of engines to the later ones.Luckily I had a complete set in my spares box.

As the Revell 707 more resembles a 707-100 with a shorter fuselage,I had to cut down the decals to fit on the Revell kit.

I know its not 100% accurate,but this was more of a salvation job rather than creating a replica of the real thing.

The coroguard panels and other details on the wings come from the superb Flying Colors Boeing 707 detail set and these decals cover up some of the blemishes

The kit has some serious fitting issues esp.the two wing halves,who are a nightmare to get together and also the engines that won't really fit into the slots.

Also the wings were seriously warped,probably they had been in a hurry to get the parts out of the moulds and into the shelfs...

I have one more Revell 707 and I think I have to forget about building and painting each components before assembling the whole thing.

The finished product is not of my usual standard,there are some flaws,esp. around the engine-wing connections.I didnt bother to fill the small gaps there as I would have to repaint the whole area,but overall it looks quite nice,and when its behind glass the flaws wont stick out much.

Hope you like her anyway.

Cheers,

20170724_175209.jpg

20170724_175115.jpg

20170724_175049.jpg

20170724_175020.jpg

20170724_175008.jpg

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 22

It looks the goods from here Alex, you have hidden the flaws with your exceptional photography skills :D

I do note that the windscreen shape looks a bit 'off' compared to other kits. I think this is the first Revell B707 kit I have seen finished.

Congratulations on finishing it and doing such a fine job.

• Like 1

I love your build but as always with your airliners the finish is spot on..

For a fact this 707 from Revell resembles more a Boeing 720  because it has the shorter span 720 wing wich was also used on the C-135.

The Awacs version from Revell in that scale has also the same 720 wing..

I was also known as the continental wing because it wasn't build to get over the pond.

You can recognise this by the rounded curvature on the aft trailing edge of the inside flaps against the fuselage.

Best regards, Jan

• Like 1

I've attempted the Revell 707 a couple of times but never finished it so respect from me for such a lovely result from such unpromising material.   :goodjob:

Regards

Dave G

• Like 1

On 7/25/2017 at 00:42, janneman36 said:

I love your build but as always with your airliners the finish is spot on..

For a fact this 707 from Revell resembles more a Boeing 720  because it has the shorter span 720 wing wich was also used on the C-135.

The Awacs version from Revell in that scale has also the same 720 wing..

I was also known as the continental wing because it wasn't build to get over the pond.

You can recognise this by the rounded curvature on the aft trailing edge of the inside flaps against the fuselage.

Best regards, Jan

Thank you Jan

And thank you also for the background information on the  Revell kit as well as to the 707.

The Boeing 707 is a very special airliner in terms of versions and layout,which makes it very difficult to match a build to the real thing.It drives me crazy every time I lay hand on one of those...

On 7/25/2017 at 00:07, TrojanThunder said:

It looks the goods from here Alex, you have hidden the flaws with your exceptional photography skills :D

I do note that the windscreen shape looks a bit 'off' compared to other kits. I think this is the first Revell B707 kit I have seen finished.

Congratulations on finishing it and doing such a fine job.

Thank you

Yes I noticed the windscreen shape too after the model had received its wings and stood on the landing gear.It wasn't obvious while the fuselage was laying on the table...:shrug:.well I think I have to accept it as is as the model already received clear cote.

more amazing fine work - wind the clock back to when the original kit was produced - had you then been able to show them what you could turn out now in 2017, they would have been blown away - I bet the original manufacturers would never believe that their plastic could be turned into such a beautiful masterpiece of highly detailed modelling using such modern products and fine quality decals etc

Top Civil Aviation marks to you sir..

A good result from a very iffy kit. I built one of these years ago - also in Northwest colours but in the later scheme. The model has masqueraded as a 707 for decades. It was originally released as a KC-135 back in 1957 (per Scalemates) and, because of that, it is not really representative of any version of the 707.

• Like 1

Well Alex, I need to raise my hat to you three times for this :

• one for having opened the box and making a start.
  • one for having persevered with the build.
  • One for having done a fantastic job on the finish.

You're a braver man than I am !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mitchem said:

Well Alex, I need to raise my hat to you three times for this :

• one for having opened the box and making a start.
  • one for having persevered with the build.
  • One for having done a fantastic job on the finish.

You're a braver man than I am !

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

mike

Thank you very much Mike.

I like challenges and this kit gives plenty of opportunity for kicking it into shape.

Revell has,as on their 727 kit,captured the nose quite well compared to the Airfix kits.