Lakenheath f15c 1/48

Hewy

After much deliberation I've chosen the great wall msipll f15c ,  above an academy  f15 e also with a lakenheath decal sheet and cockpit etch, and a tamiya f15c both in 1/48,  looking forward to this,  but i go on my holidays on the 29th so I'll be a tad late starting,

Cheers

Glynn

2017-07-24_08-13-00

Edited by Hewy
Spelling,
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

After returning from my holidays yesterday i thought i would kick off this build by starting whith the aires exausts, very fiddly, 

2017-08-05_12-41-42

2017-08-05_12-46-34

2017-08-05_12-45-12

I think I'll also make up the kit ones a bit later in the build, the insides could do whith a wash after a matt coat

Cheers 

Glynn

• Like 5

1 hour ago, snapper_city said:

I'm after one of these kits. Watching with interest. 

It really is in a different league compared to the tamiya f15c and the academy offering, but in my humble opinion, they still build up very nicley indeed,,  thanks again

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Nice exhausts, looking very nice..Be interesting to see this one build up...

Thanks shaun, had to give the eyes a brief rest after gluing the actuator arms on though, in the big ed set i have for this,  there's some nice etch for the exausts, so I'll build them up later and decide which i like more and use the other set for another build. Cheers

Glynn

Edited by Hewy
Spelling,
  • Like 1

Had a few hours spare today and got quite a bit done on the cockpit, as i said i have the big ed set for this, i wont be using all of it, as we all know sometimes just because its etch dosnt mean its bringing anything to the party, so I'll be selective and save whats left for the other eagles I've got in the stash, although the ip is very nicley detailed i have opted for the etch on this, also even though seat is one of the nicer representations of the aces ll seat,  I'm going with the aires resin one, i have used a sprinkling of other etch parts in there, any one thinking of building the gwh kit would have a top model straight oob,  the main etch will be used on the vent and grills, why did i buy the big ed set? I got it for £22

Of an auction site,  too good to miss!, Still a bit of dry brushing left on the unglued side  of the pit, and the belts to add to the seat

2017-08-06_08-20-44

2017-08-06_08-21-04

2017-08-06_08-21-25

2017-08-06_08-22-41

Cheers

Glynn

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

Some nice progress on this one.

Was thinking on buying the Eduard set but would only use the cockpit parts so went for OOB and made some belts with tape.

Looking at the kit now just the external eduard etch set would've been enough, nowt wrong with tamiya tape seat belts lex, cheers

Glynn

• Like 1

A bit of work done today and not really any fit issues, got one set of control surfaces on and suitably drooped , once the glue sets I'll have a tidy up of the seams and joins and put the othersides control surfaces on, and do the etch on the grills, 

Cheers

2017-08-13_07-56-39

I know the ip is wonky its not glued in place yet I'll do that when the coaming goes on

2017-08-13_07-56-18

2017-08-13_07-55-16

• Like 6

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Looks very good Glynn.

How have you found the fit of the kit so far?

The fit is very good craig a lot of parts click into place and hold without glue, i had a bit of an issue with one of the cockpit sides but i found out it was the. Photo etch stopping it going together snugly , other than that its been plain sailing

7 hours ago, Lex77 said:

Some good progress. Indeed we are at the same stage.

Today I did some work on the canopy seam (hate that job).

Not my favourite bit  either lex

Cheers 

Glynn

• Like 2

WOW!!!

You did a great job on the exhausts and cockpit!

The model really seems to be a higher level than the other older ones and you're getting the best ftp it.

So is this going to be a double build: An E and a C both from Lakenheath?

I'll be watching you with interest!!!:yes:

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 1

Thanks massimo, high praise indeed from you, sorry the strike eagle i have will have to wait a bit longer, so much to do and so little time, but I'm saving the spare etch and exhausts from this kit for that one, glad you like it so far yes the fit and detail in the kit is a big step up from the academy and tamiya offering

Glynn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sofusthecat said:

Hi Hewy

How did you get the burnt white colour on the insides of the exhausts?

Regards

Toby

Hi toby i used some humbrol pigment powder i have along with an enamel dark wash, 

It didn't turn out too bad, I'm not 100% happy with it,  but I'll tidy it up later in the build, cheers

Glynn 

1 hour ago, Sofusthecat said:

• Like 1