1/48 F-15C MSIP II, 493rd FS. Update 20/9.

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is my second entry for this GB - 1/48 Academy F-15C MSIP II, marked as 86-0156 of the 493rd Fighter Squadron 'Grim Reapers' based at Lakenheath. 86-0156 shot down 2 Iraqi Mig-29's during Operation Desert Storm.

Kit:

fullsizeoutput_ce4_zpsrvrflrl1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ce5_zpsaobtgbx7.jpeg

Extras:

fullsizeoutput_ce6_zps2sgpsdfc.jpeg

Not much - Caracal decals and Pavla seat. I'll be fully arming this one with 4x AIM-120's, 4x AIM-9x and 2x Fuel tanks - as seen during the Baltic Air Policing mission.

F-15C

I'm also debating wether to do this one 'in flight' but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Dave

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Dave which one on the decal sheet are you doing, I've got the same sheet gotta love the lakenheath eagles

Glynn

Glynn, I'm doing 86-0156, double Mig killer.

• Like 2

Snap! will look at deconflicting tailnumbers! will watch with interest! Mine was started a bit back, the fuse looks 'interesting' as there are no lugs...

On 24/07/2017 at 9:04 PM, Hewy said:

Good choice dave, still l undecided me, looks a really nice sheet though, 

Caracal are usually very good!

2 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Snap! will look at deconflicting tailnumbers! will watch with interest! Mine was started a bit back, the fuse looks 'interesting' as there are no lugs...

Never built an Academy F-15 before so will see how it goes...

• Like 1

I have an academy e and a tamiya c both in 1/48, and to be fair the academy one looks better than the tamiya, after dry fitting fuselage and wings, on both  theres nothing in it, both about the same fit, 

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

I have an academy e and a tamiya c both in 1/48, and to be fair the academy one looks better than the tamiya, after dry fitting fuselage and wings, on both  theres nothing in it, both about the same fit, 

Hopefully won't be too much of a challenge!

Easy peasy for you dave, not heard any scare stories about this kit either, although i believe there are lakenheath decals in the box aren't there? They'll be like cardboard though :P

Glynn

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Easy peasy for you dave, not heard any scare stories about this kit either, although i believe there are lakenheath decals in the box aren't there? They'll be like cardboard though :P

Glynn

Time will tell!

Yes there is Lakenheath decals for 840014, along with a jet from Langley, Okinawa and the Missouri & Oregon ANG. Printed by Cartograf. They look very good, however I wanted to do the double Mig killer.

2 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Chair pulled up. I too have the same decal sheet but no F-15 yet to put them on. :nah:

You'll have to remedy that mate!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Yep. I need a couple of F-16's also for decal sheets I bought with no kit. I'll soon fix this once funds are available. 

Tamiya kits all the way mate….the second best fitting kit i've built :lol: (unless you want a 2 seater of course!)

18 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Nice choice!

What about kit decals?

They should great on this boxing as well!

Kit decals are lovely, but as I've said, was looking for the double Mig killer!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Tamiya kits all the way mate….the second best fitting kit i've built :lol: (unless you want a 2 seater of course!)

I would have liked a D twin seater but will be happy with a couple of single seater's. Not sure how good the Kinetic offering is?

On 26/07/2017 at 5:00 PM, Hewy said:

Glynn

Ive been warned off regards the nose to fuselage fuse - there's no 'lip' or guide slots - it's a straight face to face connection - was advised to glue in some sprue or rails etc to help guide the fit ....will be good to see how everyone deals with the 1/48 Academy kits nose fuse !

Use sprue or strips i agree tim,  massimo built his academy f15c,  in the wip section and the join looks spot on to me, to be honest the tamiya has its fair share of niggles too,..  in my opinion both good kits 

Glynn

Nice to see another "Heath" Eagle being built...I see a few people here have got the Caracal set, anyone got any spare Green kill stars they can spare?..I have other decal sheets but don't fancy using the flag markings.. Looks a good project Dave, keep it coming

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Nice to see another "Heath" Eagle being built...I see a few people here have got the Caracal set, anyone got any spare Green kill stars they can spare?..I have other decal sheets but don't fancy using the flag markings.. Looks a good project Dave, keep it coming

Might have some spare mate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally started this one. Ordnance first:

37205436921_c0154b8faf_b.jpg

2x fuel tanks, 4x AIM-9x and 4x AIM-120c. The ordnance provided with the Academy F-15s is some of the best injection examples out there in my opinion. Onto the various sub-assemblies:

37205429351_d89de1f6f6_b.jpg

37157842856_eb885ee2a3_b.jpg

The intakes are a terrible fit, these will need some work:

37205408531_6746f4d02a_b.jpg

Onto the main fuselage. There is some cutting needed to add up-to-date parts. The general fit is average at best, some filler needed:

37205399961_e0ed13acc8_b.jpg

36535951693_d2fd067cdf_b.jpg

Does anyone know if the 2 'lumps' on the exhaust panel are need removed? The instructions don't show it and i'm not sure if they're present on current jets. Academy also provides a lot of photo etch, some of which I'm dubious to use as pictures of the real thing don't show structural re-inforcement plates for example.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...