1/35th Tamiya Matilda (2in Gun Tank), 2/4th Armoured Regt. Australian Army, New Guinea, Sept. 1944

Hiya Folks,

I have always fancied building an Aussie Matailda and a Kiwi Valentine from the Pacific War and here is the first of these,..... the new Tamiya 1/35th scale Russian Matilda kit modified into an Aussie Army one from 2/4th Armoured Regt. at Millat, New Guinea in Sept 1944. I`m not saying that my conversion/ replica is 100% accurate but I made the armoured ring around the base of the turret from plastic card and I used decals from Star Decals set 35-C 1068 to try to replicate tank 72575 named `Courageous' with its little dragon insignia.

My attempt at the Jungle Green colour was using Tamiya JSDF Olive Drab with weathering using various MiG pigments,.... the figures came from the spares box,.....the driver wears the issue Khaki beret while the commander is an old sweat and retains the black RTR beret used by some Aussie armoured/recce soldiers from the desert war; 

DSCF0799DSCF0800DSCF0802DSCF0803DSCF0804DSCF0805DSCF0807DSCF0809DSCF0810DSCF0811DSCF0813DSCF0814

Looking at the photos,...I have realised that I forgot to fill the eyes in on the figures,....oh well! I`m not a regular armour modeller and just do it for the enjoyment really as a break from aeroplanes,.....so there are probably quite a few things wrong with it!

Cheers

Tony

Edit,....I`ve just noticed that the crew have gone and put the tracks on wrong on one side,....slackers,.....the Sgt. Major will be having words!! 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 18

Great job on the tank, I like the weathering on it and the stowage bits.

As far as the figures are concerned, I've never bothered trying to explicitly show the eyes at this scale, preferring instead to use a combination of darker washes and lighter dry-brushing, on the face to bring out the detail. The eyes are then 'suggested'. But as you say, it's done for enjoyment and that is the main reason we all do this of course.

Nice one, I'd be happy to produce something that good. :yes:

• Like 1

Very good Matilda, besides being a different tnato, because it is an Aussy tank, I love its dusty appearance, and the equipment that you have placed.
The eyes, a bit off, but, you can always remove the figures if you do not like ... lol, and those of the tracks, it happens to more than one ...
:whistle:

:goodjob:, cheers mate

• Like 1

Superb Matilda, and great that you've done an Aussie one. The weathering is fantastic and I love that stowage! So did the stowage come with the kit or what?

BTW, forget those wingy things, it would be very interesting to see this in a New Guinea Diorama.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Badder said:

Superb Matilda, and great that you've done an Aussie one. The weathering is fantastic and I love that stowage! So did the stowage come with the kit or what?

BTW, forget those wingy things, it would be very interesting to see this in a New Guinea Diorama.

Rearguards,

Badder

Cheers Badder,..... glad you like it. No the stowage didn`t come with the kit,...I got it from the spares box and from resin after market bits and pieces. 

I`d love to put it in a New Guinea dio but I have not got the room, nor do I have the skill!!

I have since added some missing handles to the external fuel tank and also had a go at sorting out the commanders eyes!

Cheers

Tony