Takom Chieftain MK 11

Thanks Ozzy

I tried to get into the base in June before I painted this so I could get pics of the Chieftain there but Suffield is a "closed base" and they won't let civilians in.

Rather ticked me off but what can you do?

Lloyd

• Like 1

I know that feeling, I almost wasn't allowed in and I'm in the military. I probably should have taken some photos, there is also a Challange 2 outside another building on the range side of camp, one thing I did notice all the exerciseing AFVs are all painted in a single colour of desert yellow rather than the traditional green and yellow.

When I was out there about 3 weeks ago there were about 30 odd Challenger II's sitting in the yard on the right side of the road and quite a few were the yellow/green camo.

I just drove by and didn't stop so I don't know how many were the newer camo and there were quite a few of what looked like Warriors and some other stuff I didn't recognize.

I was thinking that at $8.5M per tank there was a lot of $$$$ sitting in that yard, wow.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pete

They may be obsolete but I still think the old Chieftians were a tank-looking tank, there's just something about them.

Maybe it's that huge gun, largest in the world at the time I think, or the squat "don't pi$$ me off" look ..........but I like them too.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Agree with everything you say Lloyd. If only they'd sorted that engine out. Nice model as well. Every time I see one, I'm tempted to get my Berlin Brigade one out to build. One day when we get 36 hours in a day.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

John

When I built my MK10 one of Takom's suggested schemes was the Berlin Brigade.  I looked at that scheme for maybe at least

10 seconds before deciding I didn't have enough masking tape, patience or skill set to pull it off.

Good luck if you decide to do it and I'm looking forward to see it blended in with an urban background.  I saw a picture once of a whole

column of MK10s painted in that scheme and it was impressive.

I wonder how the tankers felt knowing their mounts were obsolete and they were the expendables against a Russian invasion

until the new stuff could be brought up?

Lloyd

On 24/07/2017 at 9:36 PM, Ozzy said:

I know that feeling, I almost wasn't allowed in and I'm in the military. I probably should have taken some photos, there is also a Challange 2 outside another building on the range side of camp, one thing I did notice all the exerciseing AFVs are all painted in a single colour of desert yellow rather than the traditional green and yellow.

All BATUS vehicles went single colour camouflage in 2008/9 as they went through workshop service/repair system 

Roger