A jumble o' kits from The Shelf o' Doooom

Cor luv a duck and strike a light! I just took at look at the BNA Mr. Paint link that Mr @TonyTiger66 very kindly provided - $11 a bottle! Eleven flippin' dollars A BOTTLE? Gaagh! That answers that question! The Accountant/Boss will definitely put her dainty foot down. As a matter o' fact, I do, too! Yeeowch!

Hataka is much more reasonable!

There is the aspect that the price difference is reflected in the quantites, Mr. Paint being almost twice the volume of Hataka and is thus reflected - almost - in the price. I dare say that the Mr. Paint might also last longer, but the point is that the initial cost of acquisition is prohibitive of my making even a basic starter selection (thinners, primer(?), minimal WWII RAF, IJN and Luftwaffe).

It make the AU$25 Hataka sets look much more inviting! I note that their 'Blue Line' series is Optimised for brush' - which suggests that their not-Blue Line paints, um, aren't. Hmm...

Are you about, Mr TIiger? You've gone very quiet, hope you are OK.

Cheers,

Alex,

• Like 1

I'm lurking around Mr. Alex :ninja:.

B for Brush = B for Blue line :)

I only invested the last of my microscopic income on the Mr. Paint (and a contour gauge and Swann Morton No. 1 handle), because Mr. Paint do colours specifically for Swedish aircraft/army. Also, they claim to be ok for brush painting. 

It's a large  initial outlay, very true :confused: .

In my current involuntary  location (bed), I really would like to try to make a model and finish it, without an airbrush.

The Swedish B 17 (Marivox kit) with the 'Swedish' Mr. Paint (s) should get me going :). The paints claim to be ready to use out of the bottle! I don't believe it, but I hope I'm wrong.

If all goes well, I'll do a Swedish Vampire and J-22 too, hence maximising  my paint purchase...

athough I'd have to buy the J-22...

:hmmm: 

I feel my logic is flawed :(.

Anyway I'm still lurking, just a bit quiet due to paracetamol 'Forte' (eight a day :hypnotised:) and the quite a bit of sleep they induce.

I'm trying hard not to be too freeform and abstract. The codeine does that to me.

I'm a bit concerned about a suggestion I made regarding making pâté out of @TheBaron's pet ducks, but I think he'll understand

🦆 :eat::christmas:.

Ok, I'm off to play Pocket Mastermind with Percy :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You beat me to it regarding the Baron's ducks. My comment would have been 'Yum YUM', or words to that effect ;). The larffing 'reaction' is for that, not the state of your health, I should hasten to add!

I'm sure he'll be understanding...

🦆 :pie: :eat:

By the way, I've added the 'missing' snap at the bottom of the previous page - but left the rant(s). I am fed to the back teeth with being treated like a moron by software - and hardware companies masquerading as - software compaines. <-- typo but I think I'll leave it as it reflects what I feel about 'em - precisely.

Grrr.

Eight paracetamol Forte is a lot of codeine to be gobbling every day :(.

Please give my best regards to Percy, I sincerely hope that he has recovered from the chilli/goat debacle. I'm not sure that Johnny's joint has... >snigger<

• Haha 3

Oh dear, you've given my thread away to The Baron. Hopefully he'll not see the '@' alert and my Shelf o' ShameTM will remain hidden from from his beady eyes.

Of course, one has to pose the question that if one didn't want one's fumble-fingered foolery to be seen by the World-at-Large, one wouldn't put one's snaps thereof on Public Display on the Internet, would one... :blink:

<-- I'd better go and do some practise while the coast is clear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, AlexN said:

Oh dear, you've given my thread away to The Baron. Hopefully he'll not see the '@' alert and my Shelf o' ShameTM will remain hidden from from his beady eyes.

I'm on to you mister. Beware that their pals the chickens are armed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3588465.stm

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I'm on to you mister. Beware that their pals the chickens are armed

Sprung! My clever experiment in tatters - which is what would have become of those poor (but penultimately well fed) chickens. Waark! Although being vapourised instantly would have been their most likely fate. Waa-FLASH!

Glow-in-the-dark roast chicken vapour, anyone? £1 a sniff.

Thank you for taking Mr Tiger's bait, in any case ;). Nice to have you aboard (in the event that you come back, that is).

Regarding the experiment, I have been patiently observing who hasn't turned up, and taking down their names for future surprise action!

Regarding this thread, you might be amused - depending on your sense of humour at the time - at the snaps of my micro-lathe around page one or so (sold under the name 'Peatol' in the UK, for some reason that I have never fathomed).

The blasted ipad nearly went through the closed window just now - it seems to be getting increasingly more cantankerous about what it does in text fields. It just ate a whole paragraph, then when I went to 'undo' it, it ate that, too. :fight: Grrr. I need to borrow Keef's 'Little T': he might scare this abomination into better behaviour. Or not.

Cheers,

Rambling Idiot

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had to give a retrospective like for the lathe on p.1 Alex. That looks capable of a quite acceptable range of tasks.:thumbsup2:

Don't talk to me about Apple's jab-slab. I'm getting better performance on a Huwaei slab costing less than half the price. Plus you can actually manage files and folders without having  to use an iOS ecosystem that seeks to impose itself between you and the task in hand on every occasion...

Tony

• Thanks 2

I hear this the week after Mrs. T has just spent over $1200 (:o) on an iPad Pro for her 14 year old female aspiring film director sproglet (my stepdaughter) :fraidnot:.

We're getting very happy texts about the iPad from her. At least there's that :mellow:.

We read them as we eat our  cornflakes with water or tuck in to salt and margarine  sandwiches; our limited food choices following this rather expensive purchase :unsure:.

I hope she'll remember us when she's a famous director... 🎥 

Kids. They're always worth it aren't they?

:hanging:

:winkgrin:

Yours very pink lint

TonyT

PS: Didn't we just use a pen, pencil, rubber, set square, compass, ruler, lined paper, folder, pencil case and Gonk at school? $1200!!??  $1200!!?? :frantic: 

PPS: Apologies for OT. Erm. Back on topic. Drawer of Doom. P-40. To be rescued. Watch this space.....:ninja:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm lurking around Mr. Alex :ninja:.

B for Brush = B for Blue line :)

I only invested the last of my microscopic income on the Mr. Paint (and a contour gauge and Swann Morton No. 1 handle), because Mr. Paint do colours specifically for Swedish aircraft/army. Also, they claim to be ok for brush painting. 

It's a large  initial outlay, very true :confused: .

In my current involuntary  location (bed), I really would like to try to make a model and finish it, without an airbrush.

The Swedish B 17 (Marivox kit) with the 'Swedish' Mr. Paint (s) should get me going :). The paints claim to be ready to use out of the bottle! I don't believe it, but I hope I'm wrong.

If all goes well, I'll do a Swedish Vampire and J-22 too, hence maximising  my paint purchase...

athough I'd have to buy the J-22...

I feel my logic is flawed :(.

Anyway I'm still lurking, just a bit quiet due to paracetamol 'Forte' (eight a day :hypnotised:) and the quite a bit of sleep they induce.

I'm trying hard not to be too freeform and abstract. The codeine does that to me.

I'm a bit concerned about a suggestion I made regarding making pâté out of @TheBaron's pet ducks, but I think he'll understand

🦆 :eat::christmas:.

Ok, I'm off to play Pocket Mastermind with Percy :)

Best regards

TonyT

Aaaaow Dear Percy !

Did he get well after his record breaking trials :rofl2:

Gi'mme @The Baron 's duck, will prepare it, you will lick your fingers !!

Hooops Brigitte Bardot will sue me again

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I hear this the week after Mrs. T has just spent over $1200 (:o) on an iPad Pro for her 14 year old female aspiring film director sproglet (my stepdaughter) :fraidnot:.

We're getting very happy texts about the iPad from her. At least there's that :mellow:.

We read them as we eat our  cornflakes with water or tuck in to salt and margarine  sandwiches; our limited food choices following this rather expensive purchase :unsure:.

:hanging:

:winkgrin:

Yours very pink lint

TonyT

PS: Didn't we just use a pen, pencil, rubber, set square, compass, ruler, lined paper, folder, pencil case and Gonk at school? $1200!!??  $1200!!?? :frantic: 

PPS: Apologies for OT. Erm. Back on topic. Drawer of Doom. P-40. To be rescued. Watch this space.....:ninja:

Hello Tony,

8 Codeine a day, that's a lot, Hope that you'll grew better soon !

Yes, kids are always Worth the sacrifice we did, my son and stepson have a master

one journalist the other historian in music !

So I also know what is bread and low priced food.

They finished last year and both of them are working, one good thing done !

Left the 2 youngers..... Wanna see ???

Madlyne is looking for the Royal Oxford school of dramatic arts :suicide:

And Nicolas will go in Germany, Leipzig university for german linguistics :suicide:again  !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I will not have my modelling room tomorrow, unless I win at the lottery !!

• Like 2

On 04/08/2017 at 00:47, TheBaron said:

I had to give a retrospective like for the lathe on p.1 Alex. That looks capable of a quite acceptable range of tasks.:thumbsup2:

Thank you for the 'like' your Baronshipness, much appreciated :). It certainly will be useful when I've finished wi'it. There are some other add-ons like a digital axis meter to solder up and connect, too. Eventually, not immediately, however.

I have heard good things about the Huawei (hmm, the Yapple dictionary says it's spelt 'Huawei rather than 'Huwaei') phone as well as your praises of their jab-slab. My 29 and a half years of unswerving loyalty (well, almost unswerving, with a bout of Apple/IBM Taligent-based OS/2 in the middle) is being sorely tested. Sort o' loike the Trials o' Job, but without Ralph Vaughan-Williams's excellent music ;).

On 04/08/2017 at 04:17, TonyTiger66 said:

:rofl2: <-- should be blinkin' flippin' ': rofl :' not that sentimentalised abomination that has 'pride' of place. What's the world coming to? That's a rhetorical question an' a figure o' speech by the way, he said VERY hurriedly ;).

Water and sugar diet? No vitamins minerals and protein and such? Oh dear :(. Kids? See below in my response to CC...

Yes, pencil, paper and a rubber are not nearly as sexy and MONEY/PROFIT-MAKING :crying: .

Ah stuff this, forbye and besides. I'll finish this post off on the iAmc, I can't be bovvered wi' this no more, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

When I hung art the washin'...

Right, where was I? Oh yes, shift The Baron's quote up the to top...then my reply to him... Done. Oh-so-easy on a proper computer, impossible on the yipad. I did have the bright idea that a BT keyboard would help me a lot where said jab-slab is concerned, although the moving abaht o' the quote boxes on the iMac was done (so easily) wi' the wee squeaky mouse thing. Not applicable to the yipad, o' course. Oh dear, another day, another (series o') rant(s) :rant: 

Can't cut and paste a formatted forum quote from the forum editor into a being-edited post on the yipad, neiver :rant: . Or not nearly as easily...but I can on the mouse-driven iMac, hooray! :). Stick that in yer eye, you eyepad monstrosity, you! Hah! Take that! And that and that and that!

On 04/08/2017 at 08:23, corsaircorp said:

Aaaaow Dear Percy !

Did he get well after his record breaking trials :rofl2:

I believe that Percy has recovered sufficiently that he can play simple memory games with Mr Tiger :) (Pocket Mastermind, I believe).

On 04/08/2017 at 08:37, corsaircorp said:

Yes, kids are always Worth the sacrifice we did, my son and stepson have a master

one journalist the other historian in music !

Interesting, my wife is a music historian (musicologist) and she used to travel to Spain, Portugal and London on a regular basis until her administrator role and looking after our not-very well daughter took over. She's due another trip soon, though, even if only to the British Library or to a conference. I think that there is a book chapter coming out soon, at least.

Kids. Hmmm. A great responsibility, and one that I feel that I have failed miserably in.

I might post a snap or two later on, if the fit takes me. Froth froth, foam foam.

Cheers,

the alex. :sheep: <-- not an ipad! Hooray!

Edited by AlexN
Added quotes an' fings. And corrected the appalling 'typing' (one-fingered jabbing)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bonjour, tout le monde,  comment allez vous? L'idoit du Village ici - encore, malheureusement...

Iésu perambulant1 upon a velocipède, but it 'tis hard not being OCD when one finds a nerror. Well, sort-of error.

In hindsight, I would have been wiser to have stuck the rubber mat on the bottom of the lathe plate before painting, that hindsight thingy being called '20/20' eh what? Well, sometimes: it completely depends of the quality of one's eyesight, dunnit?

The lathe plate got a case of 'hangar rash' (and other such euphemisms for CARELESSNESS AND CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE) upon the addition of the contact cement to the plate2, resulting in but not restricted to crazing and bubbling of the paint. Ahem. It wasn't me, I wasn't there, I was home in bed, honestly, yer 'Onner...

The end result is that I'm putting another coat or two of topcoat on the plate to make good - and also to seal the gaps in the contact cement layer created when I trimmed the excess off the mat and peeled the glued mat back off the plate - that could also have saved a bit of angst had I done that afore the painting. Grumble whinge bleat snivel.

Here 'tis on the rather gimmicky 'rotating' cutting mat (a good idea in principle, but didn't stand up to the tender mercies of the alex for very long):

1. Plate on the 'rotating' mat, 'rotated'. It is supposed to spin freely on a little turntable underneath, but it is just being dragged around manually with no functioning central pivot at the moment

35966577890_22c06e3093_b.jpg

Rotating mat &#x27;rotated&#x27; by Alex1N, on Flickr

2. Close-up of the effect of contact cement solvent on the 'epoxy enamel'. Epoxy is normally very solvent-prooof, so either this isn't a real epoxy, or it hadn't cured sufficiently. Probably the latter

36194888172_ae8db5e97e_b.jpg

Close-up of the effect of contact cement solvent on the 'epoxy enamel' by Alex1N, on Flickr

3. Lathe plate's new rubber mat masked off for painting. 3M 'Scotch' low-tack blue painter's tape used this time - 25 mm wide instead of 15 - not that it matters on the rubber, but it's a good practice to practise. Note the reed-making gear in the background. Not long after this snap was taken I was embroiled in a desperate reed-salvage crisis, which I still haven't recovered from. Neither has one very dead reed. :crying: I have a rehearsal tonight, a concert tomorrow and no decent reed... :door: 

36363572965_f713e5a1c2_b.jpgLathe plate's new rubber mat masked off for painting by Alex1N, on Flickr

4. Lathe plate with topcoat no. 4. Note the painter's pyramid peeking out from underneath the plate. The mat edges have also got a dose o' paint, too. Something weird has happened to the colour balance in this snap - which of course is why it's a snap.  Possibly sunlight reflecting off something onto the paint: I'm not really sure

35966746510_b08fae39e3_b.jpg

Lathe plate with topcoat no. 4 by Alex1N, on Flickr

5. Taig mill with the mechanical conversions to CNC-readiness complete. The electronics are still in abeyance after a misunderstanding on my part with the chap with whom I had started working this with. I am, however, slowly beginning to 'regain ownership' over this project after three years of it out in the cold, but the lathe comes first: it is needed to produce sundry bits and pieces for the mill or its completion!

35966636620_144b47bf32_b.jpg

Taig mill with the mechanical conversions to the CNC process complete by Alex1N, on Flickr

1 Stupid :blink: Apple 🍏3 dictionary doesn't recernise the wurd, possibly coz I might have made it up... I love bending the mother tongue until it breaks - probably my favourite pastime. I have to admit that I am heavily influenced by the Speverend Rooner, Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, Hilaire Belloc, Spike Milligan and Monty Python. I really should get on and finish my book. Not that anyone would buy it. Or publish it, even.

2 Luckily, I used masking tape around the edges, or it would have bee much worse; pity that I forgot about the Blue-Tak plugs that I had previously used against the transmigration of water onto naked steel - but maybe not, since I suspect that the contact cement's solvent would have done a number on the Blue-Tak, and an even worse number on the paint...

3 Granny-Smith chosen for that extra, sour, bite

Edited by AlexN
Typos (jabbos)

Hello Alex,

I was'nt sure that the word musicologist did existed. The way I turn it with other words ! and too lazy to get my harraps !!

Yup this is exactly what Xavier is ! He's currently working for the "Chapelle musicale Reine Elizabeth" and the KBR aka the royal Library.

Preparing a doctorate about a belgian composer that nobody knows about in Belgian, but widely known outside the borders, as usual, you cannot be a prophet in your own land !

I raised him with good music, ranging from pink Floyd to Panthera ! via AcDc and Led Zeppelin, from blues to jazz and from Beethoven to Wagner...

He was a guitarist and bassist in a local metal band, It give me a good burst of laugh knowing that a Metallica fan is working in that physical Heaven for "Classical" music :rofl2:

Congratulations for your french speaking Mon Cher ami !!

About biting, I received my teeth prothesis right now, Doc said that nausea, biting my own tongue and speaking like the emperor who had a friend named Biggus Dickus will last for 2 or 3 days.

Another thing that I teach my kids with... Monty Pythons !! and Marty Feldman !

My wife has writed a book about pet's nutrition, I mean BARF ! selling well  we just have been refunded for our investments.

I will pick my 2 old projects back and restart writing too, but that will make my models slowing even more than today...

My house a crazy circus with lots of fusing ideas going in any and every directions.

Not a nice and tidy house at all but a big work in (slow) progress thing...

I only have 2 hands and one income so I prefer investing in self realisation for my wife kids and me, in that order !

Have a very nice modelling day, that will be funny if your wife and my son had to work together :blink:

Surrealist conversation, "Hello I'm the son of a Britmodeller... How funny it is I'm the wife of a britmodeller ! "

Finally, Walt Disney was right "It's a small small world "

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Hello Woger, or is it Woderwick - or just plain CC!

I trust that your temporary speech impediment is subsiding by now :).

Very interesting about your son's thesis work. The Boss's main area of interest is in Mediaeval Gregorian Chant in North-western Spain, plus Aquitanian Notation, so it is improbable that their paths would cross - but never say never ;). She has also done some work on Oz composer Percy Grainger and his involvement with the setting-up (I think) of the Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) as it was then known.

Your house sounds very much like our house! We must be related ;).

NOW -  here comes one of my pet rants :rant: ...

What? No like AT ALL for my last post, which took me A WHOLE DAY to craft and has a snap of my CNC MILL in it! I know it's not a very good picture of the mill (the only one in fact that I could actually find, and that's because Imtook in on Friday), but even so!

I'm feeling unliked. Boo hoo, poor little me, sob sob. :crying: Sniffle snort.

Don' t take that diatribe too seriously - only a bit, says Mr NarcissistTM.

Our orchestra's and singer-soloists' concert went well last night, with the exception of my oboe and its stand tipping off the edge of the riser that the Woodwind were seated on :yikes: . Fortunately the damage appears to have been restricted to one bent key which was rapidly(!) tracked down and fixed, but I will be checking the instrument out thoroughly tomorrow. Miraculously, the reed was undamaged. Bit shaken up by that, though, although I settled down by the second half after I had managed to run through a few brief initial check out of sound of the paying public.

A valuable  - in nore ways than one - lessson learnt there. Hopefully!

In view of some of my weird and plain wrong comments (a few moments' thought about the chemistry behind one particularly stupid remark should have held my jabbing right index finger) I have decided that I am going to keep a very low profile on other people's threads and maybe my own -  and sit in the Naughty Corner to ponder my poor behaviour. I will, however, be lurkin' an' likin', still.

Cheers,

The Narcissistic alex. :sheep: <-- not a narcissist

I'm not expecting anyone to read this, but some final musings before I go into permanent mute mode:

I seem to be having a severe problem with rather dire attention-seeking, so I'm pulling the plug on my BM involvement, apart from reading threads and liking posts.

If I kept going the way I have been recently, I would end up with the vanity-squelching ignominy of being permanently banned, and since I still wish to patronisingly distribute 'likes' and so forth, I would rather not be summarily booted.

Here's a 'parting gift' for Mr Tiger:

And a more generalised 'Sayonara':

Cheers,

Alex.

I went to the Britmodeller ATM to try to withdraw some 'Likes' but it says I have an overdraft :(.

I spent the early hours working my way through Crisp's helicopter and rivet epic. By the end of page 16 I was once more out of currency :unsure:.

Attention seeking? Naughty Step? Sulking in the corner? 

It's that bent bit on your oboe that's done it. Some reed action was also clearly required prior to fun with lathes ;)!

In this age of 'The culture of self', I feel you have little to worry about Alex. If you've recently been on websites that advise on 'How to take your beautifulest selfie', I take my last comment back :o (yes, that non-word is used).

Perhaps you've made a video of "Me and my bestie being random (Part 1)" for YouTube?

A vlog of your daily travails; each exciting instalment including a cover thumbnail of you with a vast disingenuous smile?

A blog about how you're 'difrent' and 'ndividule' and how everything you do is 'mazing'? 

I'm not sure that people of our approximate vintage are actually capable of the multiple forms of narcissistic indulgence now available. Those that have grown up with it have turned it into a multi-faceted art form. Narcissistic self has become as invisible and unnoticeable to them as a heartbeat. 

Now there's a rant :D!

Thank you for the Chopin :).

In return I offer another. I can hear (not see), why this has 41 Million views (well, the view is provided by a deceased, troubled Dutch genius, technically it's 41 million listens; almost up there with Justin Blubber). It is one of the most pleasant renditions of the piece that I've heard:

Now listen to that, reflect on what you've actually not done, and get that FW 190 restarted :thumbsup2: 

Rest Biggards

Tinyt

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mr Toger,

Thank you for your kind words :). My apologies for the belated reply - I have only just slithered out from beneath my rock, and am feeling rather disoriented, and dazzled by the unaccustomed sunlight.

I shall scuttle back again shortly, but at least I'm sort of out and about again. And after a lengthy sequence of conniptions, the lathe is almost working again. It will be once I have persuaded the pulley back on the spindle, but I am trying to work out best method: heating the pulley in boiling water, gentle heating with the blowtorch, whacking it with a heavy hammer...

I think that frying it with the flamethrower is the best option at this point: water and the steel lathe spindle would be a bad combination, and the conniptions of recent times were largely the results of something similar to a heavy hammer happening to the pulley, and I do NOT want a repitition of that!

Anyway, the rock beckons, so back under it.

Cheers,

the alex. :sheep: <-- is probably more pleased to see the light o' day than I am ;).