BTR-80A Afghanistan

The last of my recently built Soviet trifecta. This little BTR is the 1:72 kit by ACE. It is a beautiful kit, but a bit tricky to build. Some of the structures (e.g., smoke grenade rack) are multi-piece PE, all grab handles are made from bent wires, parts have to measured and adjusted to ensure proper fit, and the suspension took a very long time. This is essentially a short-run kit, but for once I felt like I was modeling and not just assembling. 

I've mentioned it elsehwere, an I'll say it again. I really like ACE's plastic. It reacts quite well to Tamiya Extra Thin, and disolving and then fusing into very strong structures. Great for all the butt-joints of fine tiny pieces. 

I finished the model as a Soviet machine serving in Jalalabad, Afghanistan in the late 1980s. Paint is MM Acryl. Weatheirng consists of a few washes, and pigment work. I have ordered some tank riders and crew figures, so stay tuned for more pictures sometime soon. 

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

As I said, this was an extremely rewarding build. I haven't built 1:72 armor in some years, but this relit that fire in me. I enjoyed this project much more than any of my recent 1:35 armor builds, and I think it looks much cooler on my shelf than the bigger tanks. Might be time to sell off that portion of my stash. :)

• Like 6

well built for this scale,like the tyres are they one piece with the wheels,plastic or rubber?I'm like you I am seeing so much small scale kits on the market,and really nice ones at that,after seeing your fine build may take the plunge,at least it will give me more room on the shelf.thanks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

well built for this scale,like the tyres are they one piece with the wheels,plastic or rubber?I'm like you I am seeing so much small scale kits on the market,and really nice ones at that,after seeing your fine build may take the plunge,at least it will give me more room on the shelf.thanks.

The tyres are rubber. 

If you're not ready to plunge deeply into the small scales, maybe give 48th armor a try. I really love those quarter scale kits.