Airfix Supermarine Spitfire PRXIX

Hello Michelle,

I second CED, A thin coat of gloss varnish, or future, Klir and so is helpfull before placing any decal or transfer, and then matt or satin varnish.

Usually, High altitude Spit have a glossy finish, but sincerely, I did'nt like it and it is not clearly evidenced by photos !

In the case of PS 888, it is either the Asia's sun or simply the outrages of the time, but she look matt on the photos I saw.

Not to forget, the pleasure of YOUR eyes is also important, to me a full gloss finish give the kit a toyish appearance, but it is my opinion.

You did very well, congratulations !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

I just caught up with this too Michelle.

You've done a lovely job on this kit. I've read here from a few of the Spitfire enthusiasts that it's a very good kit and fun to build.

I liked the look of the Revell weathering powders that you used in the cockpit earlier; a new product to me. I may have to buy some of those :)

i agree with all that CC said about varnish :ditto: . One thing I would add is that in 1/72, satin can look very nice as a substitute for gloss in the final finish. It makes the models look more realistic than very high gloss.

Best regards

TonyT

• Thanks 2

Since my last post I have added some more weathering to the underside of the aircraft, I did this using Revell Rust, Tamiya Bronze (for a bit of sheen like oil), and Humbrol black, all dry brushed carefully. I then painted 'The Last!' on the left side of the nose, I must confess I was rather scared about this, (and explored ways of writing it on before painting over), but for all my exploration I ended up free handing it with Revell white, and hoping for the best. I am pleased with the result and feel it really gives the plane it's character. Finally I opted for a coat of Windsor and Newton matt varnish (it probably should be gloss, but I prefer a matt finish). She's finally finished, thank you for all your advice and interest, I've loved every second of this build!

DSC_2906

DSC_2909

DSC_2908

I will post more photos in the ready for inspection forum. 

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 1