1/48 TBF-1C Avenger - Battle of the Atlantic May 1944; #FINISHED# 13/03/18

nimrod54

Thanks Craig they are nice kits with few vices, but like the newer Airfix kits tolerances are tight and any paint must be removed from the edges to get a good fit. I managed to fit the wings and tail-planes earlier this week and there is a slight gap on the undersides towards the leading edges but I am hoping that I can fill those with some Glue n Glaze. It is looking to be quite a big model now and I am not sure where I am going to display it, perhaps I can persuade Mrs N to hang it over the bed. :D

38168585781_5433a2f4fb_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

38168584401_2e3434b9aa_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

• Like 7

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Canopy on next?

I think so Craig. When I ordered the Skyraider bits I added an Eduard masking set to the list and my plan is to mask and fit most of the glazing but leave the turret off at this stage, I will pack that location out with some sponge. I am not sure what to do about masking the bomb bay though, I don't know whether to temporarily fix the doors with canopy glue/PVA or mask across the opening with tape. Once that is done it should be almost ready for some paint. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Thanks Ray, it is a nice looking aircraft. I like the look of Grumman radial engine aircraft and have 1/48 kits of Wildcat and Hellcat in the to do pile. I hope to make one of these for either the Grumman or Carriers Ahoy GB or maybe one in each should they both make it through the vote.  

21 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Caught up now John,  great progress so far. I like the mix of Bronze and Interior green portions in the cockpit.

Hi Cookiie, good to hear from you again buddy, I hope you are keeping well.  I  am not sure how accurate the interior colour call outs are, I just followed the kits paint instructions along with a few reference photos I found on line. The paints themselves are enamels from Sovereign Hobbies and @Stew Dapple has had great results using them, I thought that I would follow his lead and give them a try on this build. I haven't put them through the airbrush yet but I am pleased at how easy they are to brush on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making slow but steady progress with this. All of the glazing has been separated into smaller sections and dipped in Klear, it's now ready for fitting before I mask it up.

The sturdy undercarriage leg assemblies are also now in place. Having checked earlier in the build, I decided to leave the tail wheel off at this stage to limit the risk of damage, this and the arrestor hook will be fitted towards the end.

24746964728_58e276449d_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

26842795559_c29812cf61_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

The turret assembly is almost complete barring a little paint touch up and the final assembly into the glazing and I have the cockpit tower requires another coat of bronze green before the canopies are fixed in position.

26842797509_f1d74074e9_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

38586747982_c676aa7781_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

• Like 4

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:51 AM, Crimea River said:

Coming along nicely. This is a great kit and whoever figured out to get the turret in once the fuselage is glued together deserves a Nobel.

Andy

Apologies for the late reply Andy. I agree with you, it is a nice kit and the turret was a pain to fit, but I got there in the end. Once I had been able to gently squeeze the turret past the edges of the opening, I found that the two tabs on the interior structure which locate the glazing, protrude beyond the bottom edge of this. In my case, it was this that was preventing me locking the turret in position, the solution was to file the tabs back in line with the edge of the glazing and 'hey presto' in it went.

A quick progress update

The glazing was masked up using a set of Eduard masks and after some interior colour I added a Dark Gull Grey top coat. I am just trying to figure out the best way of masking the openings before continuing with the topcoats. I think that this will be heading for KUTA X because I can't see it being finished before Sunday, we will see how far I get with it though.

37877867405_8323d9b262_c.jpg

by J Leigh, on Flickr

• Like 3

Whilst it didn't make the deadline, I am still plodding along with this one and although it doesn't show up too well, I have been able to get some Dark Gull Grey on the upper surfaces today. I will try to get the white on over the next couple of days when the topcoat has hardened up enough for me to mask off.

24959730438_17b9e3dc9a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I am heading down the final stretch with this one now. After masking up I was able to get some Insignia White on today, so that just leaves decals and the final few details to paint and add.

Tape and White Tack masking

24145758107_c3f4f590d5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

38293772694_6dc15457df_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Painted and unmasked.

38293776014_f2c343985d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

38293773804_b87f172085_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Looking good John, your definitely in the home straight.

Cheers Ozzy. I'm glad I took your advice and purchased a set of Eduard masks, they save a lot of heartache. In your photo at post #5 I also noticed that you have a set of Hataka paints, I have just sent for some to paint my T-2C Buckeye over in the Matchbox GB and I wondered how they were to use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Cheers Ozzy. I'm glad I took your advice and purchased a set of Eduard masks, they save a lot of heartache. In your photo at post #5 I also noticed that you have a set of Hataka paints, I have just sent for some to paint my T-2C Buckeye over in the Matchbox GB and I wondered how they were to use.

happy to be of some help John, there is a lot of glazing in this kit. I used the HATAKA set on my Avenger, I found them really good, they spray well and cover nicely. It's the second set of theirs I've used and I have no complaints.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I decided to revisit this build today and applied the main decals this morning, I will leave it for the remainder of the day before I make a start on applying the numerous stencils. The plan is to finish this build before I start getting too involved in the other projects that I have recently started.

40316809691_9d69ded3e1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40316809131_1f7869076b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I'm still watching as well John :)

:popcorn:

7 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Super looking...

Thanks guys. I finished adding the stencil data to the fuselage last night, I had to leave a few of the 'LIFT' and 'PUSH' stencils off though, because there was no obvious position for them to be placed, I will add those later if I can find some better info than that in the kit instructions.

Not much left now, only the underside stencils to go, then a wipe down before the matt varnish goes on. After that I can add the 'delicate dangly details' (woo-hoo, some alliteration too) to wrap this one up. PHEW! :winkgrin: