Airfix 1/72 Hurricane 85 Sqn 1939.

Hi folk's just to show I havn't gone entirely over to 1/32 scale here's a little quick build of another rag wing Hurricane using LF Model's decal's and mask's(code letter's).

Built for the Made in Britain GB,nice challenge painting the codes made easy by the well produced mask's,decal's were more challenging as they have a solid carrier

film and need cutting out also the underwing roundel's dissintegrated so I hit the spare's box for the nearest match,thanks for looking in.

DSC00007DSC00008DSC00009DSC00013DSC00012DSC00015DSC00017

DSC00014

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 50

come out well Steve

A couple of points.

The upperwing roundels are too far outboard,  I think this spring from a tendency to have a fairly narrow gap between the edges of wing and roundel,  and I see it on a lot of Hurricane models.

the centre of the roundel is 80 inches in from the tip see

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/var/resizes/Profiles/Camoflage-%26-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane/Hawker Hurricane Camo %26 Marks_Page_19-960.jpg?m=1396453566

Just about visible in the photo of your subject

5083923523_1762a41e5a_b.jpg

the other thing is the serial,  the aircraft initially sent to France has their serial painted out for security, not to mention P3119 would be a standard BoB Hurricane...

I should get out more....

anorak points aside :goodjob:

PS spotted this

9_144.jpg

where they got the serial from is a mystery.. P**** series production started in Nov 39 and P3119 is about the 400th of a batch of 500

Edited by Troy Smith
addition
  • Like 3

Hi Steve!!!

Congratulations for this wonderful masterpiece you show us here!!!

I have been researching this squadron since along time as got word the 85 was night fighting the Luftwaffe, and found between other interesting things this version and also made me to look back in my memory and  bought in Ebay the old,  ancient but at least for  me,  good Revell USA Black Hurricane with red codes and all black dress...so hope to follow you soon. Also was thinking in use one of the new Airfix kits but concluded that as this one was a kit I have never the chance to build in the 80's would be a nice experience to get the most of it and enjoy a little project this way.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers

Luis Alfonso  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's just to show I havn't gone entirely over to 1/32 scale here's a little quick build of another rag wing Hurricane using LF Model's decal's and mask's(code letter's).

Built for the Made in Britain GB,nice challenge painting the codes made easy by the well produced mask's,decal's were more challenging as they have a solid carrier

film and need cutting out also the underwing roundel's dissintegrated so I hit the spare's box for the nearest match,thanks for looking in.

Fantastic work on your Hurricane... is this a new kit from Airfix? I like the look of the early mark and will keep an eye out for one.

Regards,

David   

Great workmanship as usual, Steve -

How many Hurricane models in your collection now Steve?!

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dazey said:

Fantastic work on your Hurricane... is this a new kit from Airfix? I like the look of the early mark and will keep an eye out for one.

It's been out a few years now Dave there are three boxing's one being a starter set.

2 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Great workmanship as usual, Steve -

How many Hurricane models in your collection now Steve?!

Regards

Dave

Thank's a lot Dave,nine in I/72,five in 1/48 and 1 in 1/24 scale and more to come if the scheme's are right!

• Like 1

Lovely build, as always. The upper wing roundel issue seems to come up regularly (which is odd)...BUT, that's still one fine looking Hurricane. And a super little kit. Surely Airfix HAS to do a new tool metal wing in 1/72 soon?!

• Like 1

That's really a very nice Hurricane Steve :thumbsup: 

I like the paint finish a lot. Great choice of a lesser seen BoF scheme too; I missed the WIP - will go back and have a good read :book:

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Congrats Steve

Nice to see you in the 1/72 scale and a Hurri to boot!!!

Superb job :)

As fate would have it I am building an airfix ragwing myself and I hope to finish soon.

Your contrast on the earth and green upper is so much better than mine. I used Humbrol 29 and 116 for the green.

What did you use as I really like it mate

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Winenut said:

Congrats Steve

Nice to see you in the 1/72 scale and a Hurri to boot!!!

Superb job :)

As fate would have it I am building an airfix ragwing myself and I hope to finish soon.

Your contrast on the earth and green upper is so much better than mine. I used Humbrol 29 and 116 for the green.

What did you use as I really like it mate

Cheers

Bruce

Cheer's Bruce,Tamiya earth and believe it or not Tamiya Field gray which gave a faded look on a test piece soI went with it!

• Like 1