Airfix 1/144 De Haviland Comet 4B

Thats really nice.It may be an old kit but beauty is ageless, great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Cheers Michael.

By modern standards it's very crude - but airliner models can take a lot more fettling and abuse than more "normal" aircraft kits - chiefly because you don't really have to mess about with cockpit interiors if you don't want to.

The one area of the Airfix Comet  I would like to see them provide an improvement on are the jet exhausts - which are simple plugs on the kit and not very representative of what the real things looked like.

• Like 1

Good result Eric! Just read through your wip, what did you use for the nmf, I'm guessing Alclad?

I agree about the jet exhausts, the Amodel Comet ones are streets ahead but it's a much more expensive kit.

Looking forward to the red square livery models.

Cheers,

Ian

The natural metal finish was Valejo Metallics. I've recently started using them as an alternative to Alclad. Overall, I still think Alclad gives a slightly better finish but the Valejo paints score higher in some other areas - such as lack of odour/fumes and robustness. They seem to accept masking and handling better than Alclad does. I used Valejp paints on my DC-4 and was pretty impressed. They will be my main metallics of choice for the foreseeable future although I'll still use Alclads for panels and where tonal variations are required.

• Like 1

Such a graceful looking airliner!

At its absolute best in the red square scheme, so I'm looking forward to seeing it. (I'll give you a slow motion race Eric, 'coz I have the kit & decal sheet too. The build is not due to start anytime soon as I have too much half done on the workbench. Some time in the next couple of years should see it done!).

Cheers

John