F-15 C 493 FS RAF Lakenheath

I think you've mastered the black basing technique pretty well!! :worthy::clap::clap:

Looking great already, can't wait to see decals and weathering on :Tasty:

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

The painting of the main frame was under way, so I concentrated on the tail fins.I forgot to mention I had previously  cut the rudders and repositoned them slightly angled, to add a bit of ….”pathos”.

Anyway I painted them , gave them a hand of Future, added decals and wash.

18ytqs.jpg

3580tiw.jpg

2n1hv69.jpg

Here ‘re a few pictures of them. You can see the left one’s Squadron yellow and black stripe isn’t complete as some unpainted spares were added.

2qjjdkl.jpg

15dwih1.jpg

2labpxc.jpg

This is what  they looked like, once in place.

263frcy.jpg

A general view with rudders (not glued yet.They’ll be added at the end for a better handling pf the model.)

2lniu06.jpg

Here a view of the model after  Future was spraied tomake it gloss and ready for decalling.

9ivls9.jpg

ib9hf5.jpg

2dmic6b.jpg

21bu7om.jpg

A few pictures with natural light. In my modest opinion, hese colours were really spot on!

2wg4ro9.jpg

Time for some masking now!!! The fuselage back section is metal!

2vx4ppk.jpg

Alcled Aluminiom was used at this time.

I know it’s not th right shade, but it’s the only Alclad laqueur I have!!! Tamiya smoke will do the rest.

29xburm.jpg

119yt1c.jpg

2ag18gz.jpg

hsu8ux.jpg

258axk4.jpg

Time for some decalling now!!!

2hi8sbo.jpg

15d8cnt.jpg

Tamiya smoke was spraied, the nit was the time of an extra hand of Future, to seal the decals.

vzx83n.jpg

rc944h.jpg

Some weathering on the underside was needed.

2aigah5.jpg

1z1tyte.jpg

123bjth.jpg

As I said , the orizzontal tailerons were light grey only, probabli a replacement.

Time to remove the Tamiya tapoe from the canopy….

vzg0mh.jpg

SURPRIS SURPRISE!!!!!!!!....

…NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, davmarx said:

OH MY... :huh:

don't fear, it's time to carefully use a toothpick !:yes:

Ciao.

Davide

...not that easy...IT'S ON THE INSIDE!!!!!!:swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:... INSIDE!!!!!!:swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:... INSIDE!!!!!!:swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:... INSIDE!!!!!!:swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:

Crap! That is really annoying, especially considering the progress so far, showing a masterpiece in the making.

I hope you were able to sort that out some way

Ciao 

• Like 1

Massimo that is a terrific job,  i wasn't expecting it be this quick a build, love your paint work,  gorgeous,  and I'll be following you with those colours, they look spot on, good job

Glynn

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Massimo that is a terrific job,  i wasn't expecting it be this quick a build, love your paint work,  gorgeous,  and I'll be following you with those colours, they look spot on, good job

Glynn

Hi Hewy,

It isn'T a quick build.I built this model last year and I'm posting it now , as I hadn't subscribed to Britmodeller at that time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, massimo said:

Hi Hewy,

It isn'T a quick build.I built this model last year and I'm posting it now , as I hadn't subscribed to Britmodeller at that time.

Ah, yes first line of the first post, not very attentive of me, sorry massimo, beautiful model though, 

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I experienced some problems with my laptop’s software after cleaning and cancelling my surfing records and thus I couldn’t answer or post anything.

Everything seems back to norml now, so…here I am!!!

I left you with a piece of masking tape sticked to the inside of the canopy (…of course! Why stick to the outside, where anybody can remove you with no problems???)

I’l start the canopy adventure since the beginning!!!

29qod1e.jpg

First of all…Nice seam, guys! Really well done!!!

vecfnl.jpg

I had to make it a little foggy to keep concentration!!!

345bl7k.jpg

Same treatment for the wind screen.

2gv6gm1.jpg

…then some real polishing…

1zgzv6g.jpg

And a bath in Future.

vzg0mh.jpg

Until here, no problem, but then catastrophe struck!!

90cdn5.jpg

There was only one option… removing the canopy!!!

2njkh3s.jpg

Tiny little sweetheart!!!

28suffb.jpg

Back to …fresh air!!!

28iqp0k.jpg

5y530o.jpg

Once removed, wind screen and canopy were given a second chance….some scuba diving in alcohol…

nzog7m.jpg

…and back to the Future!

2ryhpgx.jpg

…better than before!!!

2zdvb6u.jpg

Some black paint avoided the clear thickness effect to appear.

begdxe.jpg

Then I passed the wind screen onto the black to make sure the clear thickness of the cacopy was invisible.

vzernq.jpg

Now the canopies are  back, but there are a few issued still to be dealt with.

Now I’m falling asleep…. I’l have to go to bed!!!

Next update Tomorrow, sorry!!!

Edited by massimo2
wrong picture!
  • Like 5

Great save, Massimo! :clap:

I'm gonna have to ask you a couple of questions, if you don't mind: how did you remove the canopy?

Also, it looks like you sort of dipped the canopy edges in black paint, rather than bushing it on; is that correct? What would be the reason for that?

Enquiring minds want to know... :wacko::D

Ciao

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Great save, Massimo! :clap:

I'm gonna have to ask you a couple of questions, if you don't mind: how did you remove the canopy?

Also, it looks like you sort of dipped the canopy edges in black paint, rather than bushing it on; is that correct? What would be the reason for that?

Enquiring minds want to know... :wacko::D

Ciao

Hi Giorgio,

in addition to the hidden piece of tape, removing the masking stuff, I noticed in some places , expecially around the wind screen, you could see  through the glass ...its clear thickness.

This becaause the model's clear parts do NOT include the frames, but the frames are moulded on the fuselage halves. Having the transparent parts been glued to a black painted base, any clearence between the two parts was clearly visible, thus I decided to paint the transparent's  edges and then glue them to the model.

2dceixk.jpg

I used small bits of Hombrol Klear fix ,.This liquid glue dissolved the black paint and the two things melted together.I finally I achieved my purpose to hide that clear effect.

To remove the canopy was easy enough , as I hed used small dots of cyanoacrilate, but on the black painted surface, so the paint came off quite easilyand the transparents with it!

Edited by massimo2
added picture
  • Like 2

1e19ja.jpg

As I explained above, I used Humbrol Klearfix to fix the new transparent parts.

10dywis.jpg

f1gjh5.jpg

The join  had to be re worked on , as there was a bad step now, so I added bid by bit some of Mr.Surfacer 500 with a small brush several times, sanding it smooth and repeting this  operation until I was happy with the result.

The canopy frame had been replaced on the original aircraft at this stage of its life and this helped a bit , as  it would have looked a separate item anyway.

35aizrm.jpg

2iql8vd.jpg

Now a quick step back: I had started with the exhausts, by using those supplied with the model , with the addition of the PE parts.

jfhstg.jpg

ws92dy.jpg

After some painting , whashing and drybrushing, this is what they looked like.

dvis86.jpg

Now I had to start thinking about the future...as I said, the model would have been represented in landing mode and I needed some pins to make sure it wouls stay nose up.

As I had already done in the past  I decided to use three points to fix it to the wooden base: the main wheels and the centerline tank., so I drilled some holes and added some welding rods, to be used as location pins.

That's all for now!

Time for something to eat!!!

• Like 4

This is looking very good indeed with a great save re the canopy! I'm on holiday in Norfolk and enjoying watching the F15s from Lakenheath go over every so often. Looking forward to seeing this finished

• Like 1

Thanks Massimo, and great progress :clap::clap:

I should have made myself clearer, though - apologies for that: the reason for the black paint on the canopy edges is very clear to me, I always do the same. My question was about the way you painted them, because from the pictures it looks like you dipped them in paint rather than using a brush. I was wondering if this gives you any kind of advantage :hmmm::)

Ciao

Edited by giemme

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Thanks Massimo, and great progress :clap::clap:

I should have made myself clearer, though - apologies for that: the reason for the black paint on the canopy edges is very clear to me, I always do the same. My question was about the way you painted them, because from the pictures it looks like you dipped them in paint rather than using a brush. I was wondering if this gives you any kind of advantage :hmmm::)

Ciao

Mmmhhhh....good question...

to be honest I don't remember, but I think I was a little afreid to do it with the brush, while this way I only had a small amountof paint and less chances for a mistake...:huh:...I think...

• Like 1