Hi from Quack...

Dr. Quack

Hi all...

Ol' Quack had been picking over the forums for some time looking for tips and advice on modern modelling methods, musing over how things had changed since the days when he was five, and spent all of his childhood pocket money, extortion gains and immoral earnings on kits. 

He waddles over to his favourite chair and sits collecting his ancient memories. He ditches his glass of Chateau Margaux into a pot plant, replacing it with his preferred generous measure of Toilet Duck, and quietly recalls that "the past is a foreign Country - they do things differently there."

Modelling then was the sponge for his pocket money. Proudly he would present his latest build, usually completed in a matter of hours and decorated with vibrant shades of household paint, his signature mark of a stringy gluey thumbprint on the canopy.....

Was that really only last week....? Surely not.

He racks his brains and recalls dimly that his first ever kit came in a clear polythene bag, building into an impressive rendering of a Yak 9D...  and by a memorable coincidence it cost 9d...that is nine OLD pennies. Ahhh real BIG pennies they were, with Britannia on 'em. Quality stuff back then.

So now he is older, though no wiser, and has a little time to pick up a hobby again. The eyesight is wretched and the hands shaky, but he has nobody to please but himself, and if he can enjoy some relaxing and absorbing hours in research and construction, then he will be happy, even if the results are an embarrassment, and never to be shown....

Quack glances quickly at his watch, observing that Mrs. Q will now be watching Casualty. Time to indulge in his other guilty pleasure - a few rounds on Ye Anciente PC Gamme of Battlefield 2, astonishingly still running since the Middle Ages.  Quack signs off, extending a cordial invitation to all who find him excruciatingly annoying (virtually everybody it seems), to log on to the 62TOF server in order to queue up for the pleasure of shooting him in the face.

Quack looks forward to a long and happy association with Britmodeller.

Sent from my preposterously slow coal-fired PC because I-Pads are the preserve of Ophthalmologists and Blackberries belong in pies!

QuackSig1_zpsa0cf98c0.jpg

• Like 1

Hello and Welcome Quack.

I too used to blow my entire budget on the latest releases from Airfix and FROG.

Hard to believe that I spent three quarters  of my after school job's weekly wage on a Shackelton 

What you interested in now?

Welcome to BM Dr. Quack. From your missive it sounds like you have come to the right place, I'm sure you're going to fit in very well.

Gorby

Thanks all.

As implied I have only just started trying my hand again.

My first attempt is a 1/48 Italeri Bae Hawk - slowly evolving as my time is limited. I hope to complete it in gloss black as XX162 - RAF School of Aviation Medicine.

Over the years with progressive cuts the RAF downgraded their Institute  of Aviation Medicine to School, and subsequently to centre. Wonder what the next downgrade will be - Playschool? / Nursery?

I spent a joyous time at Farnborough back in the early 90's on a course there, and I hope to model one of their Hawks, and perhaps then their retired Hunter T.7  XL563, though the decals may be a problem for that one. In future I hope to complete a 1/48 pink trio of Jag Bucc and Tonka, so I suppose my interest really lies in noisy RAF wingy things from the 90's.

And yes, they'll ALL have gluey thumbprints on the canopy!

Q

Sent from my preposterously slow coal-fired PC because I-Pads are the preserve of Ophthalmologists and Blackberries belong in pies!

QuackSig1_zpsa0cf98c0.jpg

• Like 1