Gloster Meteor 1/72 ++++FINISHED++++

Davek72

With a disaster befalling my Mig-23 in the From Russia With Love GB I would like to join this GB with a 1/72 Revell Gloster Meteor.   I have already build this kit in an MPM guise but this time it will be in NMF and hopefully I will avoid some of my mistakes from last time.

The kit is quite nicely laid out but lots of flash.

35694701980_73b20b812f_b.jpg

35694702520_0c3de42c8c_b.jpg

35694702510_7cd949be68_b.jpg

35951160501_dd0629b2c9_b.jpg

As always all comments very welcome.

Dave

Edited by Davek72
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the lack of posts I have made progress....

35280780393_b62d9fd5f6_z.jpg

The cockpit came to gather nicely.  Black base with mid grey dry brushing.  I made some belts out of the foil from a wine bottle.  The photo above shows the belts before painting but I did paint them light brown and gave them a wash of brown ink.

35956571901_f5121a999e_z.jpg

The wheel wells and engine front (?) were painted aluminium and given dilute black ink washes.

More photos to follow very shortly.

Dave

• Like 2

Nice to see one of these coming together, I've a couple in stock, same boxing as this which will probably become a camo'd Danish one & theBbelgian boxing to be done OOB. Its always good to see what if any pitfalls there are. Looking at your excellent progress, there're not too many.

Steve.

On 05/08/2017 at 9:27 AM, stevehnz said:

Nice to see one of these coming together, I've a couple in stock, same boxing as this which will probably become a camo'd Danish one & theBbelgian boxing to be done OOB. Its always good to see what if any pitfalls there are. Looking at your excellent progress, there're not too many.

Steve.

Hi Steve

This is the second time I have built this kit (the first was in Argentina colours which was fun).  The kit is very nicely engineered and I have had no issues.  The only area where a little care is required is in the attachment of the wing tips which are butt joints.

Cheers

Dave

• Thanks 1

All coming together nicely as far as I am concerned.

36149942142_d803eb30af_z.jpg

You can just see in the above photo (a) the small amounts of filler on the wings and a bit more on the tail and (b) I have just started masking using Tamiya tape.

A coat of Halfords Audi Silver went on nicely.

35564372923_47091f064d_z.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It does look very nice in the silver!

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian

Have spent part of this morning putting on most of the decals.   It's amazing how things can come together so quickly after quite a while on the work bench.  

Dave

I am going to call this one finished...which is always a result for me.

The decals went on very easily and the usual extras like undercarriage etc all fixed in without mishap.  I have done practically no weathering because (a) my last attempt at weathering resulted in the Mig-23 disaster referred to at the top of this thread and (b) I had already decided I rather liked the clean look of a fresh Meteor.

Photos...

35696496123_9ce2fa8f1a_z.jpg

36367879951_2ea968c576_z.jpg

36367883591_555da5c613_z.jpg

Thank you very much everyone who has looked in on the build and especially those who have commented.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 7

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice that, your finish works for me, I like them clean & fresh too (& I'm a lousy weatherer  :D )

Steve.

Cheers Steve.  

I would love to get better at weathering but so far the results have been mixed to say the least.

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That looks great Dave :thumbsup: 

The canopy framing is excellent and the model 'sits' really well; gives a good impression of weight.

These early Meteors look very sci-fi in silver 🚀.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

On 14/08/2017 at 10:03 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looks even better with the decals on. The real things were kept pretty clean so your finish is bang on.

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers Adrian.  

I certainly think it looks a very stylish machine.  I have bought 2 xtrakits F8s and some additional decals so am planning to have some fun with a few more Meteors.

Dave

On 22/08/2017 at 5:23 PM, PlaStix said:

Well done Dave, that turned out beautifully! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers  Stix

From you that is always appreciated.

Dave