Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

I got my new workspace in summer 2015.

Here's what it was looking before, you can see the desk had cut-outs to accomodate two Technics 1210 turntables and a mixing console, while the wall racks used to hold (thousands of) vinyl records.

That's all an echo of time (I once was a club DJ in what seems a former life by now).

d2b2e4ba-b0c8-457a-8734-1c612ed5e712.JPG

I started by throwing everything out, repairing the floor and re-painting the walls.

4100f86e-8234-461d-8e3a-b12297ff4e0e.JPG

Here's the new workbench:

e1859e9f-c68b-48ae-a366-9dd38fd2aa8e.JPG

fc65b020-bce3-4d8b-9e3d-fb4daea6e3dd.JPG

And finally, some display space for the finished models!

They were resting in cardboard boxes and drawers before, and all of them were badly dusted.

f455f3e0-3a62-4f13-9c83-f9fa10cda88c.jpg

Got some room for my stash as well!

6c5c6751-d337-4d9b-8fae-d6910a265f02.JPG

910b1f25-a4df-4967-af96-9fa264153f13.JPG

Books on the shelf!

As you can see one of my Technics 1210 turntables was allowed to stay.

Not that it is actually connected and working, but I couldn't part from...

4f3f0186-5c2a-4ed4-a9a1-39e5d81e9383.JPG

Now time to get busy - no more excuses for not modelling!

The bogey behind the desk holds paints & the compressor.b1ff45d9-bb60-4470-8040-d3abf0efc5f3.JPG

Kind regards from Vienna, Austria.

Roman

Edited by Roman Schilhart
typo
  • Like 27

Afternoon Chaps :bye:

All these people, like Roman, above redesigning and rebuilding there modelling spaces....  

And all these romantic panorama shots of beautiful clean rooms (including the dusky skies of Denmark from Hans :) ) 

Good god man don't any of you make a mess ?

I cant even be bothered to clean mine up :)

No, I tell you what it is... 

It depends on the state of things, sometimes it just needs a mini hoovering and a tidy up, but once in a while it needs the Hazmat suit and the bin bag brigade.

You start cleaning and, "Hey, I wondered where that bit went'', or "Ohhhh, Id forgotten about that" and there you sit, Hazmat clad, Bin Bags flapping in the wind, continuing on the thingie you'd forgot until shock and horror you hear the wifes car coming up the drive and you realize 5 hours have passed by :)

Cleaning is for wusseys, its more manly to have a mess :) 

:bandit:Mad Steve:bandit:  

EDIT... To illustrate my point 

resized_b36c04cd-edac-44f5-84c3-be542fdc

resized_ce429034-3bb3-43ee-8f28-83a6b297

Edited by MAD STEVE
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

to @Gorby I'm hoping it doesn't leak and spray paint all over my walls lol

I changed my imediate work area last weekend. 

Before 

23576858428_717cb0eb08_b.jpg

after 

38111363006_c2c606aabb_b.jpg

I should now get some more natural light. As I'm not working inside a box. 

My led lighting is now held in place by my MG44 

unfortunately all 3 are replicas. But still it allows me some good references 

@Roman Schilhart where did you get the display cabinets? They look awesome 

• Like 8

On 12/11/2017 at 8:11 PM, fatfingers said:

How do Chaps,

I recently posted in the 'purchased topic' that I had bough some wood and made a paint rack. I was asked for a pic of it so here it is.... Also some pics of the cave in general.

The cave is an 11 x 7 shed that I've insulated and clad and also had leccy run in. I did have a thread on this but it seems to have disappeared when the forum was updated a while ago.

The paint rack that I knocked up.

1kGW8Y5.jpg

Other views of the workshop.

RZRl8JV.jpg

l3b47cI.jpg

PDXqc1r.jpg

3akaA4e.jpg

Regards,

Steve

I like the look of your workspace, I wish I could keep my small space that tidy. Might show it to Alison, but I cannot see her being keen to let me something similar 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Martin T said:

I like the look of your workspace, I wish I could keep my small space that tidy. Might show it to Alison, but I cannot see her being keen to let me something similar 

Thanks Martin,

You never know 😉 I was gobsmacked when my beloved said that I could have a bigger shed. Only condition was i had to share it with all the gardening piffle 😠. Can't complain really as i've got just over half of it for modelling.

Regards

Steve 

• Like 1

We have a good shed, but it is filled to the gunwales with gardening stuff as Alison loves the garden and I quite like growing fruit and veg. When my modelling space gets a tidy I will put a pic up. 

• Like 2

Morning Chaps :bye:

I must say this is a splendid thread and some really good ideas have come out of it, especially the Rattlecan Dispensomatic MkII.

Most of the time people are sharing threads about what finishes to use?, how do you do this or that? and a lot of the time chaps are looking

for more simpler answers to things like, how do I make a paint rack for my rattlecans, What if I dont have an MP-44 to hang my lights off? :) 

Nice to share things that make life easier...

Mad Steve

• Like 5

On 13.11.2017 at 9:41 PM, Steve_farrier said:

where did you get the display cabinets? They look awesome 

Steve, I had them custom-made by a carpenter to fit my room.

Not inexpensive, but I now have them exactly like I wanted!

• Like 1

On 02/10/2017 at 4:33 PM, Ventora3300 said:

................Right now, I have two sheets of vintage Airfix transfers taped in a plastic bag to the inside of my car windscreen so that they can catch some sun to de-yellow while I am at work.

Been there done that, I've had the rear parcel shelf covered with decals bleaching in the sunshine quite a few times.

• Haha 1

I've enjoyed reading this thread, there are some great setups.

Mines on a slightly smaller scale, I model in the spare bedroom so my work space needs to be able to be dismantled and packed away when required!

2017 Workspace

Basically consists of an IKEA table top mounted of trestle legs, which allows me to adjust the height to helps alleviate my back problems and allows it to be packed up and stacked in a corner when guests arrive.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Jb65rams said:

I've enjoyed reading this thread, there are some great setups.

Mines on a slightly smaller scale, I model in the spare bedroom so my work space needs to be able to be dismantled and packed away when required!

2017 Workspace

Basically consists of an IKEA table top mounted of trestle legs, which allows me to adjust the height to helps alleviate my back problems and allows it to be packed up and stacked in a corner when guests arrive.

Oooh! a Martin B-10!..

Oh, nice work space too!  ^_^

Some nice spaces here, I'm getting some great ideas for organizing my crap collection.

I promise I'll post something this week end.

Just to show off the dank, dark conditions I toil under.

(Windows?! What a novel concept!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know I said this weekend.

This is Sunday night for me.

The work area. Covered with the current junk...um I mean project.  And other junk...

4Znsgf.jpg

Other space and future projects. The ship is a restoration that I need to get to SOON...
RgxLTX.jpg

A small portion of the stash

fPGtqE.jpg

More stah and even more in the room beyond
srrkKV.jpg

The current project bits.  A Revell Germany Ferrari 250 California.

Oh and junk....lots of junk.  I've been here three years now, I really need to get organized....

TUnF4v.jpg

At least I have successfully avoided showing the floors....

• Like 8

On 11/2/2017 at 11:54 AM, Gorby said:

That is jaw-dropping! Lovely Tigercat. What scale is it and how long did it take to build? I assume it's R/C?

Fantastic job with the Tigercat.  In many of the flying shots I was taken with its resemblance to the earlier Westland Whirlwind.

• Like 2

Some fantastic work spaces and clearly a lot of work being done on them. I'm particularly interested in a couple of examples where people have used kitchen worktops (assuming) rather than a desk, and what that entailed. I'm going to devote some space to a permanent modelling area sharing slightly with a PC and that is an interesting option especially putting it around a corner. Curious on the cost as well as the planning and what other bits were needed to go with it.

To add my current surroundings, see below. Recently moved and the previously passable dining table/pack away every night method didn't survive the move with purchase of a new table. It will benefit in the long term as we have regained a spare room, with enough space once various mountains of boxes are distributed to the yet to be arranged shed and floored loft, then desk planning can commence. Until then....

IMG_20171115_220236114

• Like 5

Morning Chaps :bye:

Tomathee, for me, the kitchen counters way was the cheapest option (i Know it doesn't look like it but they are there under all that crap)...

I went to the local hardware place and bought whatever the standard length is that they came in, I think its 4m odd. couple of metal legs for it and some anchor bolts and you are a for away. Add a couple of pieces of 1x2 to put on the wall to hold it all up and ta daaa... a work bench.

Take photos when you've built it, it'll never look that clean or empty again :) 

resized_ce429034-3bb3-43ee-8f28-83a6b297

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all. Thought I'd show my workspace or lack of it as I have only the dining room table to work on. I must say I am well jealous of some of your rooms. When I want to do some modelling I have to drag everything down form upstairs and by the time I set it up the notion has sometimes worn off. I look forward to when one of my three cherubs leave then I'll grab their room for my hobby room. I'll have  a long wait mind you as my oldest is only 18. Still I can dream.1_C4_A960_B-175_B-43_E0-_A342-97_CAB8605

Cheers Allan

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

My little modelling hovel. It's the box room in our naff little house. Before I was laid off earlier this year we were planning on buying a much larger house with a two car garage which was to be mine. Still, it does its job. Sort of.

39390206011_097cbf7b49_k.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...