Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

My workshop, a 23 x 12ft workspace with lots of tools and storage! When I bought the house, the plan was always to have a separate workshop with no internal door, so all my mess and particularly balsa shavings, wouldn't follow me back into the house. Over the last 17 years, it seems to have worked fairly well, and my wife kept a moderately clean house. Of course, when we had a daughter, there's now toys scattered all over the house, so the showhome look went, but at least I still have my own dump to make a mess in!

workshop.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
Spelling
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

Here's my current modelling space:

43925.jpg

I ain't not done no actual modelling for around 3 months :crying:

Reminds me of an article I saw the other day about the use of magic mushrooms to treat depression. It featured a number of quotes from one of the researchers whose post was “Head of Psychedelic Research” :christmas:

I imagine the inside of his head was somewhat similar in appearance! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caution Wake Turbulence said:

Ah Steve, you spotted the “Don’t make me root through the cupboard to find the paint I want (which is invariably all the way at the back), I need it now!!” Rattlecan Dispensomatic Mk. II. 

The Mk. I suffered some structural integrity issues, but fortunately built-in redundancy prevented a calamitous rattlecan deluge!! 

In a nutshell: 63mm PVC pipe cut into roughly equal lengths, tied to each other with 200mm cable ties and the whole lot wrapped in duct tape. 

I can post more pictures later if you like. 

Andrew

:)

Now thats a clever idea :) 

The simplest always the easiest.... PVC pipe, didn't even think of that :like:

Mad Steve

• Thanks 1

@Caution Wake Turbulence - That is both a spectacular photo and man/modelling cave. I would also use your brilliant 'Rattlecan Dispensomatic Mk. II' design, but I only use two rattle cans, so it might be considered over-kill.

Finally we get to see the @BIG X lair, and very nice it is too. Smaller than I imagined, with your username I was expecting something grander, built under an extinct volcano or something.

Good idea with the cork board @TonyW, I should imagine that it reduces the parts that roll off the desk top. I've envious of your storage trolley.

That is a very tiny modelling space @Mike, very, very tiny. :wicked:

@Army_Air_Force – That is truly amazing, a wonder to behold! Mrs. Gorby just looked over my shoulder at your photos and at my grin and said “NO, NO, NO! If I had an extension that size it would be called 'kitchen'”. It's an odd thing to call my new (fantasy) workshop, but each to their own.

Any more show-and-tell anyone?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/11/2017 at 15:43, Gorby said:

@Army_Air_Force – That is truly amazing, a wonder to behold! Mrs. Gorby just looked over my shoulder at your photos and at my grin and said “NO, NO, NO! If I had an extension that size it would be called 'kitchen'”. It's an odd thing to call my new (fantasy) workshop, but each to their own.

Not all my projects fit ON the work bench, so I needed a big space!

tigercat1.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
Broken picture link
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Not all my projects fit ON the work bench, so I needed a big space!

tigercat1.jpg

That is jaw-dropping! Lovely Tigercat. What scale is it and how long did it take to build? I assume it's R/C?

• Like 2

It was built for a customer, hence the non-scale scheme ( his choice ). I think it was about 1/5 scale, weighed 70 pounds, and was powered by two 5-cylinder 150cc radials. I don't recall the build time - about a year.

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mike said:

<_< 'ands off! :lol: I'd forgotten you've been over :rolleyes: I still sit here regularly, but I'm always pulled in different directions by site stuff, general goldfish memory, and my propensity to be distracted by the latest shiny thing I happen upon :blush:

oh those 'shiny things' - I know the temptation well ;)

19 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Finally we get to see the @BIG X lair, and very nice it is too. Smaller than I imagined, with your username I was expecting something grander, built under an extinct volcano or something. 

The room itself is about 10' x 12' - so not exactly a 'box room' but more of a 'second bedroom'.  For 20 years it was used as my office - as I was based over 150 miles from the company I worked for.  Five ago I changed jobs to a company over 200 miles away - but they do have a depot very close - so I spend a lot of my time there now instead.

That freed up the office space and once I emptied everything out I suddenly realised - I had nowhere to go and relax when Mrs X was bashing my ear about something.  A hobby was needed - a hobby that needed a hobby room.  The kind of room Mrs X wouldn't want to stray into - for fear of 'breaking something' :lol:

It took 3 years to decide that I could try modelling - just like when I was a kid.  Now Mrs X has drawn the line on lino flooring and hanging planes from the ceiling - but other than that she has taken it all rather well.  After 20 years of hardly seeing me and then 3 years of me 'hanging round the house' - 'looking bored and getting into trouble' - I think she is pleased to get me out from under her feet.

I do have a couple of garages - away from the house - but sadly no electricity and no easy way to get power to them.  Also the loft space is quite big floor wise - but the roof is too low - so here I am.  The bits of the room you can't see are filled with 3 large cabinets with open shelves - full of books / magazines / decals / after market bits and various tings that will 'come in handy' at some point...

There is also a random cupboard built into one wall about halfway up the wall - about 4' x 4' x 4' - that is very handy for housing some of the stash in - the rest is hiding in the loft...

As for the extinct volcano - I found the lighting too harsh for modelling and had terrible problems with dust - so I only use it for storing my collection of WWI zeppelins in now :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Radleigh said:

Will post mine soon, but I have to ask... @colin is it 'easy' to transform a loft with trusses(?) to a open plan like you have? I always thought it was a major to do what you have done. Looks superb though, and exactly what I'd love one day... Mrs would too, so I'm out the way :lol: 

It was above a double garage, which was never really big enough for two cars anyway,a builder who has done a few on the estate we live on did the structural work and  I finished off.

No planning required as you not extending out from the footprint of the house.

Building regs required and are quite tight on how you go about this, basics are the ceiling down, exposing the trusses, new joists for floor put in between walls, bigger joists then bolted to original angled joists that support the battens holding tiles, then uprights off floor joists put in to support roof, then remove center roof trusses leaving original strenghthened trusses.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gorby said:

That is a very tiny modelling space @Mike, very, very tiny. :wicked:

<_<

2 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

Also decided I should build an extraction unit in. Hopefully will stop the 

"I can smell chemicals" complaint 😂 

24269702668_44060943f8_b.jpg

Tried that once, and was quite surprised at how feeble your average extractor fan was.  Grab a cheap cooker hood,invert it and build a rough "box" around it.... much more sucky ^_^

• Like 4

Me too... and I'd hacked a hole in my workshop's brickwork too :crying: Still - a short hose between said hole and upturned cooker hood soon resolved that issue.  9ish years later, and it's still going, although I suspect the bearings are on the way out :hmmm:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TonyW said:

on sale at Halfords at the mo,  or very similar,  plus others of different sizes

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-8-drawer-tool-centre

My "space"  requires me finishing it,  and thus all the accumulated tat removing first,. which requires other jobs to be  done, and places to store the stuff....   and, well,   it's a bit of a "shelf of  doom"  project in it's self..

when does the KUTA build being again> 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Tried that once, and was quite surprised at how feeble your average extractor fan was.  Grab a cheap cooker hood,invert it and build a rough "box" around it.... much more sucky ^_^

Pictures, Mike, pictures!

;)

7 hours ago, Antoine said:

Pictures, Mike, pictures!

;)

This is a reeeeeally old pic, but you get the jist:

3.jpg

I ended up moving those racks because I was getting a cricked neck looking to my left, so moved my screens so they were in front of me.  There's also a lot more paint splattered on the walls, and I still haven't bothered with iron-on white strip to cover the ratty-looking cuts.  It's my workshop, not my boudoir ^_^

• Like 4

@Mike this is now a working prototype. In time I might enlarge it. However for now it comfortable fits a 1/35 jagdtiger  

collapses down so it can be stored carefully on a shelf if necessary. 

38145648521_748a4d240c_b.jpg26369144769_0b9a7715db_b.jpg26369146179_b6c3c57ba5_b.jpg

The sides are held in place by the plastic trim and are prevented falling onwards by the bolts that hold the trim in place. The bottom back corner is hinged and sealed with 3 layers of gorilla tape. 

The front just ticks in to the trim to aid extraction and ventilation whilst drying 

Total build pice was ~£30 

Edited by Steve_farrier
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

The sides are held in place by the plastic trim and are prevented falling onwards by the bolts that hold the trim in place. The bottom back corner is hinged and sealed with 3 layers of gorilla tape. 

The front just ticks in to the trim to aid extraction and ventilation whilst drying 

Very ingenious. I would be interesting to hear how that works in practice, and as Mike said - needs to be more mucky!

• Like 1

As I just have taken control of my own ManCave (!) I thought I'd share a picture of it. :D

fc951cd8-4f10-4f3a-a62e-237824e91a30.jpg

This used to be number 3 son's room, but since number 2 son moved out late august this year, number 3 son moved into that vacant room and I took control of his former room, which henceforth will be known to all men and beasts as:

"The ManCave"!! :evil_laugh:

(it's OK - I've gotten permission from my wife! :winkgrin: )

I must however clearly state the the stash seen in the picture is not the total stash :whistle:

So now my modelling should get into gear again hopefully for a larger turnout for 2018! I hope....:please:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This is the main modelling table four weeks ago with P2V-7 wheelwells mayhem ;)

NKQA4al.jpg

Living room modell cabinet no.1 a few aviation books with Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All having a nap.

hCG8s73.jpg

Cabinets no.2, no.3 & no.4 are in the hobby/study room.

Cheers, Moggy

• Like 9

How do Chaps,

I recently posted in the 'purchased topic' that I had bough some wood and made a paint rack. I was asked for a pic of it so here it is.... Also some pics of the cave in general.

The cave is an 11 x 7 shed that I've insulated and clad and also had leccy run in. I did have a thread on this but it seems to have disappeared when the forum was updated a while ago.

The paint rack that I knocked up.

1kGW8Y5.jpg

Other views of the workshop.

RZRl8JV.jpg

l3b47cI.jpg

PDXqc1r.jpg

3akaA4e.jpg

Regards,

Steve

• Like 11