Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

That bespoke paint stand works well @Steve_farrier . I could do with something like it, but my work area and spray area are a continual work in progress so I would be for ever altering it.

You can't just show us that you have a large chunk of Luftwaffe in you man-cave and not explain. Me want! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gorby said:

You can't just show us that you have a large chunk of Luftwaffe in you man-cave and not explain. Me want! 

Oh that old thing ... 🙄🙄🙄 

well ... erm... the thing is... I bought it last weekend on ebay... for £109 ....  however it's a replica. I took a stab at it thinking there was a possibility it could be genuine as the guy wasn't even sure where it came from. But on further inspection it's made using signwriters aluminium sand which board. But the detail is amazing'!! There's some photos in the eBay link below 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/302433682258 

Mhmm ok link not working so I'll get these photos from the original advert up 

37172374210_59104f6592_b.jpg

37429329621_40945179af_b.jpg

36759168333_f6122beafe_b.jpg36759167893_0621640181_b.jpg

Edited by Steve_farrier
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steve_farrier said:

Oh that old thing ... 🙄🙄🙄 

well ... erm... the thing is... I bought it last weekend on ebay... for £109 ....  however it's a replica. I took a stab at it thinking there was a possibility it could be genuine as the guy wasn't even sure where it came from. But on further inspection it's made using signwriters aluminium sand which board. But the detail is amazing'!! There's some photos in the eBay link below 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/302433682258 

Real would have been pretty amazing, but even reproduction looks cooooool, defiantly worth £109. It would also be nice to have a man-cave big enough to display it.

I can just imagine the look on Mrs. Gorby's face if that turned up. :rofl:

Unfortunately the ebay link doesn't work Steve.

@Gorby hopefully you can see the new photos of it I uploaded. 

The attentikn to detail even with it being a replica says to me it was once used in a film or even used in a museum because an awful lot of effort has gone in to it... drilling, riveting and then drilling out rivets! 

Erm my Miss wasn't best chuffed because I damaged the hallway getting it up the stairs... yet another thing to paint! (Apparently a poster isn't acceptable to cover that!! 😂😂😂😂)

• Haha 2

@Gorby thanks for resurrecting this thread. I must have missed it the first time around. It is of particular interest to me as 'Herself' wants me out of the office room (OMG that glue smells awful and did you know you spilled yellow paint on the carpet). A new man cave or to be pc a new hobby room is due at the bottom of the garden next month. Got some useful ideas from everyone who replied, so thank you all. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

@Gorby thanks for resurrecting this thread. I must have missed it the first time around. It is of particular interest to me as 'Herself' wants me out of the office room (OMG that glue smells awful and did you know you spilled yellow paint on the carpet). A new man cave or to be pc a new hobby room is due at the bottom of the garden next month. Got some useful ideas from everyone who replied, so thank you all. 

It was @Steve_farrier that brought it back to life, but being a bit on the nosy side, I'm glad he did.

I didn't know we were PC on BM now – why didn't anyone tell me? Definitely 'Man-cave' where you can spill paint, sniff glue (may not be advisable) and create mess – a scatter-cushion free zone. I hope you are intending to show us the result of your new second-home?

• Like 2

DSCN2723

Just been erected 3 weeks ago ( first one was put up in April, but wasn't happy with it so they made me a new one ) so it's still a work in progress, not as big as I would have liked, no tittering please, but I consider myself lucky. It's 10'x8'

Any tips ideas on insulation would be appreciated as I can't decide over Airtec / kingspan / Superfoil etc only got a joist depth of 45mm to play with.

TIA 

• Like 4

Ah, sure.

Guilt me 'cause I hain't got 'round to posting pix of my disorganized and messy cave yet.

After three years, I still haven't got everything unpacked even.

Keep posting pix fellas, I get new ideas everytime!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

Any tips ideas on insulation would be appreciated as I can't decide over Airtec / kingspan / Superfoil etc only got a joist depth of 45mm to play with.

I don't like to brag (of course not) but I also have a garden workshop that would be a similar area to yours. Not for modelling – for proper building with wood and stuff. When it was new, a neighbour gave me a left over roll of 100mm thick glass mineral wool loft insulation which I cut to fit between the battens and then pulled it in half so that it was 50mm thick (wearing gloves, long sleeves, a mask and goggles). It came apart very easily and with the help of a cheap panel heater, keeps it warm enough to work in even on the coldest winter days. I do keep the heater on all the time in the winter on a low setting to stop my tools rusting, and then turn it up when I intend to spend some time in there. One roll was enough to do the whole shed and it's dirt cheap.

Having said that, I don't really feel the cold. If you do, it may pay to go for something a bit more 21st century.

The Hutch d

I hope you intend to post the end result of your labours for us all to have a look at?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

Guilt me 'cause I hain't got 'round to posting pix of my disorganized and messy cave yet.

After three years, I still haven't got everything unpacked even.

I don't accept that as an excuse – this isn't exactly Tatler. Just post some photos and blame a hurricane or something.

Mrs. Gorby once said, “If you haven't used it in a year, you don't need it”, until I mentioned that if that was the case, her shoe collection was in need of a cull.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Not for modelling – for proper building with wood and stuff.

:o what are you insinuating???

yep, I'll post pics once completed, don't hold your breath tho, I don't do speed since I retired, much to Mein Fuhrer's annoyance!

• Haha 1

Still got a few things to do to finish, most pressing apart from the smoke alarm to be fitted and linked to others, the spray booth to do on the right desk.

Room above the garage, building regs only no planning required, lost some space in the garage for stairs but still a good size garage left and it was worth it to declutter the tip that was a garage before, and at last get a room to build and paint in

Looks quite dark in the finished images for some reason although its really bright with the fitted led lights, moved the stuff in from where it was before to free up and sort out that room, so haven't had the time to actually build anything in there yet as work and this has eaten into the modelling time

JciaEiX.jpg

dS4IxPC.jpg

TCqo6x2.jpg

• Like 15

14 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

Over here, the DIY stores sell the silver foil stuff which is about 10mm in thickness. I was told that it had it's origins in the space industry. It's supposed to have the insulation properties the same as much thicker fibre glass material. One other thing that I would strongly recommend, and that is, if you have room for it, lay down a false floor with insulating material sandwiched between. That's where a lot of the cold comes from. Likewise, the roof.

John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I'm planning on fitting LED lighting in my the new cave but I'm a little concerned about it interfering with my DAB radio.

I use led lights almost exclusively (run from decent quality power supplies) and have had no problem with interference with any other devices including DAB. However, my dimmable LEDs are all controlled by the more expensive dimmers: it's possible that the low cost ones would cause interference.

If you don't need to dim then then I don't think any interference could be caused as long as you run them from decent power supplies.

Wow! @colin Now all you need is a bed a toilet and a kettle and there would be no reason to to leave. We need to see some photos of when you get your modelling stuff set up and started, so that we can see that chaos is starting to descend. All the clinical order and uncontaminated perfection will be giving the rest of us a complex.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

One other thing that I would strongly recommend, and that is, if you have room for it, lay down a false floor with insulating material sandwiched between. That's where a lot of the cold comes from. Likewise, the roof.

That's a good point. I insulated the roof, but not the floor, which was probably a mistake.

I would also advise that if you are putting a false skin on the inside, to make sure you know where the batons are, so that it makes it easier to find a solid fixing for shelves. I even beefed up some of the batons where I knew there would be very heavy things on shelves.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bhouse said:

I use led lights almost exclusively (run from decent quality power supplies) and have had no problem with interference with any other devices including DAB. However, my dimmable LEDs are all controlled by the more expensive dimmers: it's possible that the low cost ones would cause interference.

If you don't need to dim then then I don't think any interference could be caused as long as you run them from decent power supplies.

Thanks, Brian. The reason I asked is that I fitted a PIR LED outside the kitchen door to the garden and it wipes out the DAB when it activates. 

To quote an old saying...'eeee, luxury, lads!' My modelling is still 'clandestine' as I have an old house to complete restoring/renovating and a lifetime role as 'super-fixer/chaffeur' in our small family, so it is all done from an A3 modelling sheet on a laptray, with paints, brushes and other accessories (including the stash) hidden away in the loft. Once I get the house finished, I can 'come out....'

100_1513

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I fitted a PIR LED outside the kitchen door to the garden and it wipes out the DAB when it activates. 

That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought there would be substantial amounts of RF generated by something like that. I've just tried out our battery powered PIR light and I couldn't get it to interfere with the DAB at all wherever I put it - even next to the telescopic aerial. I wonder if your radio has poor interference suppression?

A good test would to buy a single LED replacement fitting and replace a conventional bulb near your radio and try it. 

One further point - I'd avoid the really cheap LEDs as they tend to have dreadful colour rendering.. It's worth paying a bit extra for a brand name. 

2 hours ago, bhouse said:

That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought there would be substantial amounts of RF generated by something like that. I've just tried out our battery powered PIR light and I couldn't get it to interfere with the DAB at all wherever I put it - even next to the telescopic aerial. I wonder if your radio has poor interference suppression?

A good test would to buy a single LED replacement fitting and replace a conventional bulb near your radio and try it. 

One further point - I'd avoid the really cheap LEDs as they tend to have dreadful colour rendering.. It's worth paying a bit extra for a brand name. 

The radio (admittedly a cheap Bush) is about 3 meters from the light so it surprised me. I also have a table lamp with an Osram LED bulb in the lounge which wipes out the DAB on quite an expensive Roberts radio so I am confused. Can't be doing without my radio in the cave. 

4 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

To quote an old saying...'eeee, luxury, lads!' My modelling is still 'clandestine' as I have an old house to complete restoring/renovating and a lifetime role as 'super-fixer/chaffeur' in our small family, so it is all done from an A3 modelling sheet on a laptray, with paints, brushes and other accessories (including the stash) hidden away in the loft. Once I get the house finished, I can 'come out....'

When I first posted my modelling space on Salemates I thought it would be one on of the smallest – some Europeans and Americans have got man-caves that would make even Colin envious. But it made me realise how lucky I was to have any sort of permanent, dedicated area. It looks like you are managing well in spite of your modelling hardships by the look of that Spit. Good luck claiming your rightful domain in the (hopefully near) future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1