Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

Just saw this chat topic,so I thought I would have a sticky-beak,has been fun looking at other modelers work space,some well laid out areas,so in for a penny in for a pound,this is my space it is an area at the end of the garage,have a small car so it gives me plenty of room,and I can stick things on the wall,the bench is our old kitchen bench top,on top of cheap plastic draws,which house my stash and other odds and ends,my compressor is a home made job,had the motor and bought a second-hand tank and piped it to the motor,it is very quiet as the garage wall is the common wall with the neighbours,Models are on adjustable shelves and some are in an old book case,I have a long air hose and spray most models by the door,this gives me great light(weather permitting) Cheers.

tn_e0fdcfe8-f6e0-49e2-8ea3-f3a113d162aa.tn_2e090df3-dd91-4ddc-9843-bf115ec520df.tn_bf2a5332-9201-4d7d-b23e-ebf0b967c04e.tn_a4a39c67-a730-4779-be9f-5e5220dc5d07.tn_f4f5c566-4b75-4fca-9fc3-e07e893dca04.

• Like 10

Some cool benches and awesome looking stashes!

Here's my lil bit of work space. Couple works on top needing to be dun.

62RMAgn.jpg

And what awaits future endeavors.

UoZOdyx.jpglrfIaCM.jpg

i6fBrct.jpg

rKCTRCu.jpg

MJuFb6q.jpg

N6jE53l.jpg

Oh yeah, not enough time in this life. SABLE all the way!

• Like 7

40300593362_4a9bdf0b9f_c.jpg

Not so much a Man Cave as a Man Rocky Overhang. this is an old desk that can be folded up when the need arises and there are is a set of drawers visible on the right that hold paints additional tools etc. The desk is in one corner of the dining room that is centrally heated and has a multifuel stove. There are also French windows. on top of the desk is a docking station with DAB radio and a recently gifted Amazon Echo so my entertainment needs are taken care of. Stash and references are located elsewhere so no distractions from the jobs in hand. The desk is quite old and matches our dining table and chairs and like them is probably from Christopher Pratts of Bradford (My wife is a member of the family). This furniture manufacturer and retailer was a sub contractor to Phoenix Dynamo who built various seaplanes under licence  in World War One and later became part of English Electric. When I decorated the room last year I made sure I sprayed the metal work of the drawers to match the rest of the metalwork in the room, for domestic harmony. 

Edited by Mr T
Tidying up
  • Like 6

There are some great modeling areas here, and a lot of useful ideas! Here's what I have at the moment. I have a 3 bedroom house and use one of the spare rooms for my modeling, the other is rented out. Since I'm not married I have no problems with that!

40325526662_1f8f0374fe_k.jpg

and the other side....

39659969574_0467cf0d62_k.jpg

the stash is in the wardrobe.. (the most interesting ones are the vacs in the bags!)

40325523772_79986d2f3c_k.jpg

39659973244_aa9953ab22_k.jpg

28346265139_e406e27262_k.jpg

This is all about to change however, as I have just accepted a job in Abu Dhabi and will be renting the house out while I'm over there. I'm not sure what my modeling space will be like in a few months!

The plan is that on my return I will be able to finish the walkout basement as a tv room, bar, and modeling room, with built in display cabinets in the bar and tv room for my completed models. Worth a few years overseas with limited modeling options I hope!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

There are some great modeling areas here, and a lot of useful ideas! Here's what I have at the moment. I have a 3 bedroom house and use one of the spare rooms for my modeling, the other is rented out. Since I'm not married I have no problems with that!

40325526662_1f8f0374fe_k.jpg

and the other side....

39659969574_0467cf0d62_k.jpg

the stash is in the wardrobe.. (the most interesting ones are the vacs in the bags!)

40325523772_79986d2f3c_k.jpg

39659973244_aa9953ab22_k.jpg

28346265139_e406e27262_k.jpg

This is all about to change however, as I have just accepted a job in Abu Dhabi and will be renting the house out while I'm over there. I'm not sure what my modeling space will be like in a few months!

The plan is that on my return I will be able to finish the walkout basement as a tv room, bar, and modeling room, with built in display cabinets in the bar and tv room for my completed models. Worth a few years overseas with limited modeling options I hope!

Ian

Don't like building aircraft by any chance:D,you have more than I have seen in some model shops down here?Hope your time away flys no pun intended and your back home and into those projects.Cheers.

Well, I am almost embarrassed to post a photo of my modelling bench/space.  Not for the condition of my worktop but for the meagre collection of models in my (so called ) stash (there are a few more).  I have about ten, all told, but only five that I hope to build before dementia secures a foot-hold or I suffer complete organ failure.  Some of the collections in this thread are truly amazing and I'm thinking that it must have been a real pleasure just to open the boxes for the first time: checking the plans, the decals and finally caressing the sprues.  Almost a sensual experience, I think.  And then, after a period of time, revisiting a kit that has particular appeal and doing the same thing all over again. A gift to yourself that keeps on giving.  

My workbench is an old computer desk that would be significantly less cluttered if I culled a few items that are only occasionally used.  I keep promising myself that I will do just that manana but, despite my best efforts, I cannot seem to work "neat".  The rollaway shelf is particularly useful as I can put even more seldom used tools and so on.   Anyway, actually grateful that I have a small corner of the room to pursue my "hobby" and don't have to clear the kitchen table off before I can lose myself completely in modelling for a few hours. 

Cheers

Dennis

resized_5d526615-6b4d-4ba3-ac2b-926cb17a

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

My new spaces: At long last I have separated sanding/hacking/sawing/ from painting:

rooma1.jpg

rooma2.jpg

two new cutting mats with shrink wrap still on, never seen an A1 cutting mat before so nabbed it. In theory I could build three models simultaneously or none at al...

The paint shop:

roomb1.jpg

roomb2.jpg

A few to build:

build1.jpg

build2.jpg

Hang on @Mike is going to notice I haven't got any guitars in shot...

wotnoguitar.jpg

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, azureglo said:

My new spaces: At long last I have separated sanding/hacking/sawing/ from painting:

That looks a fantastic area, but haven't you got something more comfortable to sit on?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

That looks a fantastic area, but haven't you got something more comfortable to sit on?

bah, that's nothing!

When he's doing penance he turns it upside down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, azureglo said:

Hang on @Mike is going to notice I haven't got any guitars in shot...

I'm more concerned by the plastic covered floors... planning a murder by any chance? :unsure:

• Haha 2

I'm touched by the concern for my skinny behind so have assembled the Ikea flat pack:

flintan1.jpg

flintan2.jpg

That said the cork stool is exceptionally comfortable. @Mike Murder? I have no idea what you're talking about , by the way its ages since I saw you, why not  pop down and lets catch up, I'll show you my collection of scalpel blades, just you and me.....I'll cook some delicious fava beans for supper.

Seriously though this is a rental property  I've done up for future income and I put in an expensive carpet so want to preserve its value by not grinding in blutack et al. Its only for a year as I plan my own Brexit then my tenants can have their way with it, subject to their deposit.

A

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Been sorting my stash, sorting out all my Russian/Soviet types... mostly 1/72nd scale, but a few 1/32nd in the bottom of the photo under the Mil-8.. couple of 1/48th at the top and two Modelsvit monsters to the right... (An-124 & IL-86). This is about half of my Russian/Soviet types... I have two large wooden boxes under this photo full, plus the two racks to the left of the photo, yet to be sorted.

Once this is all sorted, I'm toying with selling most of my other stuff as I just can never see me building it.... :(

2yv5lc4.jpg

Edited by Radleigh
  • Like 2

OK .... Here's my work area.    AKA: Little Timmy's House of Miniature's.DSCF0011.jpg

The "New " workbench that I got "Special permission" to buy.

DSCF00108.jpg

Before I got the bench, I was using an old steamer trunk on wheel's as a workbench

DSCF0042.jpg

"Gee, Little Timmy .... What's in the "Trunk Of Death" ?

DSCF0043.jpgDSCF0044.jpgDSCF0045.jpgDSCF0046.jpgDSCF0047.jpgDSCF0048.jpgDSCF0050.jpgDSCF0051.jpg

And that's just the kit's in the trunk !  I have a "Bunch more stacked up everywhere !

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

OK .... Here's my work area.    AKA: Little Timmy's House of Miniature's.DSCF0011.jpg

The "New " workbench that I got "Special permission" to buy.

DSCF00108.jpg

Before I got the bench, I was using an old steamer trunk on wheel's as a workbench

DSCF0042.jpg

"Gee, Little Timmy .... What's in the "Trunk Of Death" ?

DSCF0043.jpgDSCF0044.jpgDSCF0045.jpgDSCF0046.jpgDSCF0047.jpgDSCF0048.jpgDSCF0050.jpgDSCF0051.jpg

And that's just the kit's in the trunk !  I have a "Bunch more stacked up everywhere !

Very impressive stash,the Cutty Sark brought back memories built one 40 plus years ago,it was a devil to keep the dust off the rigging,it's now in Davey Jones locker,Cheers.  

8 minutes ago, Jim Wasley said:

Very impressive stash,the Cutty Sark brought back memories built one 40 plus years ago,it was a devil to keep the dust off the rigging,it's now in Davey Jones locker,Cheers.

You should hear what I did to my Revell Constitution. As A 12 year old I built the Constitution ( It came out  ok... sort of... ) then after sitting on my shelf for a few month's I got bord with it , and shot it with a "Brick" (144) bottle rocket's. It spent the next 4 year's at the bottom of my 100 gallon aquarium ( Ironicly, it looked "better" in the aquarium !)

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, azureglo said:

never seen an A1 cutting mat before so nabbed it.

Had one for years, you late bloomer you. :tease: Mine's cool and grey on one side, and mean-and-moody black on the other.  They last ages, cos you can spin them 180o and then flip and repeat. :smartass:

• Like 1