Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

After a lifetime of modelling on the kitchen/dining table, I finally converted the small bedroom into a workroom.

Here it is, together with the first creation in my new space.

That's an amazingly well organised work-space. It would be interesting to see a photo of it taken a year or so from now to see if chaos has descended. 

Exceptionally nice model as well.

8 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I clear up after each model. a WIP is a bit more cluttered, but it's designed to be crap free.

I do that as well, but over time there is a gradual spiralling down to wrack and ruin, just like me really.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A lot of really great and inspiring spaces. I really enjoyed seeing how everyone tackles this. I especially admire the garden sheds. 

So, I'll go...

I carved out space in an unfinished storage room in the basement, so it really brings the 'cave' ethos to man cave. It's the only room that Mrs 1000 doesn't have design aspirations for, and the kiddos are scared there might be spiders, so it was easy to commandeer.  It's right next to the boiler, which keeps it from getting too cold in the winter, but it's right under a bathroom, and the plumbing in the building is old and a bit dodgy, so it sometimes leaks a bit from the bathtub drain. I put up a bit of plastic tarp to try to keep the leaks off my bench, and that kind of works.

I built the workbench with plywood and 2x4s, and it's pretty solid. It's at a kind of compromise height—not too low for standing, though I sit on stool most of the time. The Kennedy machinist box is for tools, and then the drawers on the left keep consumables—paint, glues, styrene, putties, etc. The little sorting box to the left of the Kennedy box keeps various WIP subassemblies. Various items, including the compressor, go on the shelf below, and then there's addition storage for larger supplies behind.

The DIY spray booth is just a plastic covered cardboard box with a cheap bathroom fan feeding into a 5 gallon bucket with an improbable series of filters, as described here. It actually works pretty well. I mostly spray acrylics, but for lacquers I also use a mask (on top of the cart). 

This was taken late last night, after I finished for the night—I'm firmly in the 'clean up as you go' camp. (The green glass on the acrylic sheet has a bit of cabernet for moral support.)

IMG_0587.jpg

• Like 8

Very interesting space @Johnny1000, you definitely win the prize for 'most cave like'.

I can't see why Mrs. 1000 doesn't want that room?

I must admit I'd be a little uneasy sitting beneath a leaky bathroom soil pipe, particularly with those power sockets just below!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Very interesting space @Johnny1000, you definitely win the prize for 'most cave like'.

I can't see why Mrs. 1000 doesn't want that room?

I must admit I'd be a little uneasy sitting beneath a leaky bathroom soil pipe, particularly with those power sockets just below!

Ha. Yes... I guess she's a bit particular, I suppose.

To be clear, it's just little drips from the tub, not the toilet—that would be a bit much, even for me. The electrical being there has always struck me as iffy as well, but then it's been there for years and years. That said, now that you mention, I might cover them just in case. @Gorby, thanks for saving my house and family. I owe you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny1000 said:

IMG_0587.jpg

Now that is a proper 'Man cave' just needs a few stalactite's (not loo induced ) :) 

I've got exactly the same Toomakers chest, bought it when I was an apprentice, cost a fortune in the 70's although I think the firm paid half.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Julien said:

My new modelling space after moving this summer;

It looks like you've been settled in there for a decade or two rather than just a few months. I love the painting on the wall.

Where do you spray? I notice your compressor is on the end of the desk, but if you spray on the desk, why isn't everything covered with paint?

I'm also curious to know how far that stash spreads.

46 minutes ago, Gorby said:

It looks like you've been settled in there for a decade or two rather than just a few months. I love the painting on the wall.

Where do you spray? I notice your compressor is on the end of the desk, but if you spray on the desk, why isn't everything covered with paint?

I'm also curious to know how far that stash spreads.

That is a print of the last Spitfire combat in Malaya. The stash goes back a fair bit ;)  I spray only acrylics and at a low PSI so its all kept on the bench, normally some news paper spread out. The recent Mail Spitfire give away gave me a free paper for covers. 

Julien

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Julien said:

That is a print of the last Spitfire combat in Malaya. The stash goes back a fair bit ;)  I spray only acrylics and at a low PSI so its all kept on the bench, normally some news paper spread out. The recent Mail Spitfire give away gave me a free paper for covers. 

Julien

I spray at a fairly low PSI as well, but my paint area looks like a Jackson Pollock.

10 minutes ago, Brundledonk said:

I've posted pics of my work cave before but think they are now lost to the PB debacle.

this is the current state of it ( shocking to be honest ) but it will be getting a bit of a clear out over the weekend.

I really need to tidy up the cave

Nice. What are the sci-fi door looking things on the right? Sci-fi doors by any chance?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike said:

You've got seven of those that I can see.... not all for you, I'd (A New) Hope? :hmmm:

These are all destined for others I'm afraid. I'd like to keep one but there's not really any space to display one in the house although these are designed to be wall mounted so I guess I could hang one above the TV but I'm pretty sure the Empire (wife ) would strike back if I did lol

Pete

• Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Brundledonk said:

Bench is tidy again but no doubt once I start spraying those next projects the cycle will begin and chaos will again reign supreme

It looks like a new room!

Do you have a thing about doors? I recognise 'The Shining', but what is the other one?

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

It looks like a new room!

Do you have a thing about doors? I recognise 'The Shining', but what is the other one?

It feels like one too but I know I'll have trouble finding anything now lol 

hehe it seems like it but its just coincidental that there have been a load of doors of late. It's a shame that these aren't front doors as I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some knockers ( sorry I went a bit Kenneth Williams for a moment lol

there is is a white box on my bench that hopefully will end up something like the pic below and that will help break up the door Avalanche a bit 

and in answer to your question the double doors are going to be this

20180130_173543

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 4

My workshop? My good 'ol desk back from my middle school years, in a spare bedroom.

Not much space, no way to play with the airbrush here -must bring all the needed paints and stuff in the basement, better not forget anything...
Hopefuly I will be able to move everything downstairs once I have finished the remodelling.

And yes, I use freezer bags to protect the decals and store the parts - easy and cheap, also protects the kit from dust in between modelling sessions (and it's Revell's Typhoon in it)

2nd photo, just a (very) small part of the stash, the one I keep close to me...

image010.jpg
image011.jpg
  • Like 3