Show us your modelling space / stash

Gorby

(Apologies if this in the wrong place, but I didn't know where else to put it.)

I don't like the word 'workspace', partly because it includes an offensive four letter word. But mainly because it doesn't feel like work that I do in this space, so it's more of a Gorby sanctuary. Mrs. Gorby has issued threats about decorating “that doss-hole”, so I thought I would record my current haven for posterity.

On Scalemates it seems to be quite popular showing of their often huge workspace, so I thought a bit of 'show and tell' may be nice on BM. Although I won't be bragging about size here.

My man cave is a small box-room, 7' x 8', but there is a large built-in wardrobe which reduces the usable area to 7' x 6'. It's small, but has pretty much everything I need, and I like it because the one advantage is that EVERYTHING is within easy reach.

It normally doesn't look this organised, and the Guinness isn't a permanent fixture (it's often a bitter, or whisky or rum or wine…..). This is my 'build area' – an A3 cutting mat, it's on drawer runners and can be pushed under the desk when not in use (but it normally is in use). The tool tray at the back under the shelf, hinges up when not in use (but it's also usually in use).

02817a5f-4e04-4574-aacf-5051a34d78f0.JPG

My spray area, is directly behind the build-area – just swivel the chair and I'm in paint mode (after untangling my headphones). As before, it isn't normally this tidy. Other than the rare occasions I use a little Alclad (I don't like the smell), I only use Tamiya acrylic. The shelving on the left stores the full 'XF' range, and about 2/3 of the 'X' range, the bottom shelf is my own mixes.

As you can see, entertainment is within easy reach.

93d08564-9790-4f6e-9829-5c7bce37cfc7.JPG

With either black velvet or a large sheet of card, the spray area also doubles as a photo area.

193b4778-82ce-4526-a103-f7de0599d9ee.JPG

My models are stored in large drawers in the built-in wardrobe I mentioned earlier – not ideal, but it protects them from dust (mostly). Currently there are three drawers, but I've run out of space so I've just bought the stuff to build three more drawers. It has taken me two and a half years to fill the first three, but my build rate has reduced from one model every two weeks to about one per month. That's partly because of the extra detail I do now, and partly because of the time I spend on Britmodeller. So the three new drawers should give me some breathing space for a while.

18a6d4f2-6732-4627-a741-03a8309b1e1f.JPG

5c631102-6c52-4a39-8156-056def7b82cc.JPG

64ba52c1-094b-4d52-9792-e646e6dffeff.JPG

My stash…. Sorry that's the consumables.

d74ea2c8-f9db-4320-9f66-acdbb9324a26.JPG

The wardrobe also stores my vast stash – all ten kits of it. Four of them (the Swordfish, Me 410, Pe-2 and the Sea Vixen) are waiting for when I'm better at this modelling lark. That leaves six models to choose from for my next project. I have difficulty choosing when there are only six kits, how on earth do you choose the next build, from a stash that is a few hundred, or in some cases thousands? Incidentally, Mrs Gorby thinks that my stash is excessive!

c1ebba4e-a944-48b5-9831-55124bff4bd0.JPG

Thanks for looking – comments welcome.

I completely rebuilt the Gorby Sanctuary in 2019 and the new and improved can be seen here.

You've seen mine, now show me yours.

• Like 27

Morning Chaps :bye:

Very nice set up you have there Gorbs... and i must say i do rather like that little diorama thingie :)

Ok then... I'll show you mine.

Over at the Mad Household, my modelling perversion has been set up in a room under the stairs... quite literally. 

Its a 4m x 4m room that used to be a bedroom that now houses the stairs to the second level that was installed a couple of years ago.

When we extended upwards one of the proviso's was that I wanted a modelling room, and it turned out quite nicely

I put up kitchen counter type things along two walls to give me enough space to make a big enough of a mess create wonderful things out of plastic bits...

resized_2c6b050e-4071-432e-898c-9f54b4ca

I'd like to think its fairly well organised, but its not really, and its mostly all sorts of stuff all over the place...

and before you say, gosh, what a neat chap that man is, look how organised and clean his desk is... its not. I actually cleaned up the desk so as not to offend sensitive viewers.

resized_e63f9c7e-75e9-4763-8426-d5b603bd

I do have rather a large amount of paint tho, that orange drawer thingie is full of Tamiya paint as well... I'm basically switching over from hot paints to acrylics for airbrushing, simply because I find acrylics easier to use. 

As you can see, I cant just work on one kit at a time, so currently I have 2 trucks, a Honda NSX, Heller Mercedes and a biiiiiiiig Mustang on the go, oh and a Fisher Models Porsche... oh and a Renault FT17.... oh and a Lamborghini Sesto... Oh and a H2R... ok, Ill shut up now :) 

Right then, when my sticky little fingers have finished slapping together the latest victim, I have but to pan right to the great temple of plastic to choose the next one.

resized_4c06ca0d-f1ba-4623-871d-70131b64

resized_00164b8f-ff81-43a3-8d9d-673dd6bb

No shock then to see that my temple is filled basically with things of the driving around variety... I dont really build much else than cars, bikes,trucks nowadays, with the odd tankiepoo thrown in every now and again for good measure.

(and yeeeeees, those of you that know me will notice the bottom left corner is filled with huuriplanes, I have a couple, mostly WW1 stuff that I might actually build one day.)

and where do they all go when they are finished?

Well I have recently employed the services of this rather natty bookcase thingie that will be taking on a few more models in the weeks to come...

resized_b663d7b9-3c76-4f41-9bab-73c94136

but the rest of the stuff is in the two wall display cases above the desk that my darling lovely wife purchased for me a while back.

Sorry, photos are a bit shiny

resized_d8f1cfc9-66da-4bcb-885a-09915d23

resized_0e8930aa-f417-4257-a134-e553372a

The rest basically are put away in boxes until i can get myself a nice display set up going and I can find something big enough to house that Felixstowe...

Righty ho then, that is the temple of madness....

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

• Like 15

Thanks for replying @MAD STEVE, that looks like a great place to hide away. I love to have a nose at the place that other modellers do their thing. I must be a nosy bugger.

I did notice the prevalence of car type thingies in your stash, and I love that BIG old Fiat in the display case – looks stunning!

I was only having a look at at Wingnuts Felixstowe build yesterday and I think it said it has a three foot wing-span, so good luck getting something to display that.

Anyone else?

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 9:45 AM, Gorby said:

I don't like the word 'workspace', partly because it includes an offensive four letter word.

Orks?

This has been my set-up for a number of years.

wqvKzRo.jpg

I am also set up in the box room. 8’x2’ workbench divided in two, half computery stuff, half modelling. The rest of the room is just various shelving and book cases with most of the stash secreted up in the loft.

Mart

• Like 12

Is that after a major tidy, or are you always so organised?

That's one of the neatest and well ordered modelling areas I've ever seen. If that's what I could achieve, then maybe the other half may have a point about the decorating thing.:hmmm:

Thanks for replying @LotusArenco 

Any more? Go on you know you want to.

• Like 2

It can't be real. I reckon it's been photoshoped. The last time mine looked like that was the day I set it up. Now it looks like a 25pdr just landed.:o

John.

• Like 4

Evening chaps :bye:

Thanks Gorbs. Yes, the Felixstowe has a wingspan about just under a meter, so yeah, not the easiest thing to plan a display solution around.

Here's another better pic of the Fiat :) 

433d322a-dcbb-4cda-a8e1-4d636417ef2c.png

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

Here's another better pic of the Fiat

Wow! That's seriously beautiful. Thanks for the photo.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 09:45, Gorby said:

It normally doesn't look this organised, and the Guinness isn't a permanent fixture (it's often a bitter, or whisky or rum or wine…..). This is my 'build area' – an A3 cutting mat, it's on drawer runners and can be pushed under the desk when not in use (but it normally is in use). The tool tray at the back under the shelf, hinges up when not in use (but it's also usua

Vision,s of you pressing a button and everything folding out ,the chair wheeling into place to the sounds of Thunderbirds music 

9 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

Ok then... I'll show you mine.

Please don,t  :confused:

Think of the children  :yikes:

Not enough AFV,s  buddy   :whistle:

• Like 3

This might be a bit of a struggle as I try to use Flickr for the first time, but here goes . . .

First a bit of history, for this was the summer-house I've been using for the last 15-odd years.

36104287185_0331b51be0_c.jpg

(Ooooh,does this mean it's working?

OK, so the big problem here was that this 20 year old structure could not be properly maintained.  Fair enough, I need to lose some weight but I defy anyone to get through this gap with a paintbrush to coat the side and rear

36063035366_4a3feb6851_c.jpg

Just for the record this is how it was set up inside, with a desk in the middle of the floor and behind the photographer is a simple bench for spray painting.

36063032756_3a1aa4547e_c.jpg

Last year funds were finally released to replace this 10x8 structure and when the lining came down this was the state of the rear panel.  (Don't know how much longer it might have survived before obvious leaks, etc became obvious.

36104289875_0b1b52f251_c.jpg

So, after some more theraputic demolition the old shed was one it's way.  Surprising just how much timber was involved.

35971277851_5d00f486ec_c.jpg

36063036146_6e2f11b7db_c.jpg

Although the new shed was 17sq. ft. smaller (to allow tubby maintenance of the side and rear) the space inside was planned out before it started, and I admit I did push the boat out more than a bit to get a really weather proof structure.

35971283111_6bffbb2c62_c.jpg

36063033516_e2d7e176ac_c.jpg

The old desk was moved across to one corner to become the new painting area . . .

35971280541_de1a28bfae_c.jpg

While a seven foot long bench has been set up so I can work standing up ("they" say that's going to be better for a bad back) but I did invest in a bar stool for when fine work demands the stable environment of both elbows and a party-seven leaning against the bench.

35971281801_5152919d71_c.jpg

Now all I need to do is some kit production re-establshed ti justify all this investment . . .

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Nice space – that's some serious commitment to your art @Dave Batt . Is there any insulation – the old one would be more of a freezer than a shed in the winter.:cold:

I've been to Porthleven in the winter, so the extra weather proofing sounds like a good idea, pretty gusty down there.

• Like 1

Steve, you may be mad but have a good taste in models.

Dave, you may need to explain the party seven reference to some of the younger viewers.

Nice set ups and stashes guys.

I've recently moved out of the summerhouse and into the brick built shed on the rear of the garage. 10' x 7'.

I will post pictures as soon as I get over the PB hostage situation and onto another site.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gorby said:

@Dave Batt Is there any insulation – the old one would be more of a freezer than a shed in the winter.:cold:

Oh yeah.  It's this two inch thick expanded foam sheet installed before the inner ply lining went on.  It's well OTT as a model shed, but if/when the house gets sold it'll be described as a 'garden office'.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I will post pictures as soon as I get over the PB hostage situation and onto another site.

Pete, I found Flickr pretty idiot proof, if that's any recommendation.  Biggest confusion is that I seem to have to 'open' the image in Flickr to find the necessary 'link' to copy-and-paste into the BM post.

• Like 1

Going all they way back to the OP:  Gorby, are you using a toast-rack to organise your kit sprues?  What a bl**dy brilliant idea!

Edited by Dave Batt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Batt said:

Going all they way back to the OP:  Gorby, are you using a toast-rack to organise your kit sprues?  What a bl**dy brilliant idea!

Not a toast rack exactly, this link will explain all....

20 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

???   He,s only about 6 or 7 Afv,s 

But some of the big bikes are tasty looking :whistle:

Ahh.... Herr Panzer

I refer to previous comment of 'other stuff in boxes'...

There are AFV's in there :)

(okay, its only 2, but that makes it 9 :) )

• Like 2

Egad... you're all far too clean & tidy.  As my workshop has got more festooned with shelves and models, it's started to feel like I live at the bottom of a well lined with boxes & paint.  I don't have any recent pics of my set up, and frankly would be too ashamed of the state of the place :poop:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MAD STEVE said:

Ahh.... Herr Panzer

I refer to previous comment of 'other stuff in boxes'...

There are AFV's in there :)

(okay, its only 2, but that makes it 9 :) )

9 Ok   9 not bad but could do better :nono:

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don't have any recent pics of my set up, and frankly would be too ashamed of the state of the place

5eafd3f7-3ab2-41b6-89a8-bd9cc524ade6.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Truth is you cant swing a tiny cat in Mike's space its that bad. Local cave rescue are on speed dial in case of a stashalanche and we have to get him dug out :D

As everyone is sharing and thx to Gorby we have now changed the title a bit to get more sharing going on this thread.

BTW I am seriously stealing the toast rack idea.

Julien

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'll add my addition in here now, thank you @Gorby for pointing me to the right location earlier. 

My workspace consists of an old desk with every drawer crammed  full, an engineers toolbox I built myself that has kinda gone out of use because it's just too damn big to have sat on the side. And a "booth" that I acquired  the lighting from eBay.

today I spent some time in the garage making a paints stand set up . I've seen similar online for sale but I hate wasting space so wanted something that fitted exactly as I built. 

My main work area... pre today's addition and tidy 

36757031033_fa77f2b622_b.jpg

36717652184_0bf6222ba0_b.jpg37170228260_d1a8901c78_b.jpg23576858428_717cb0eb08_b.jpg

^^ my work corner... notice the poster "just" covering the patch of wall I neglected to paint 😂😂😂 

Engineers tool box (from the days I had to pack everything away daily... that woman's now outa my life! 😂😂) 

36719200584_e5f7f34a98_b.jpg

And the end wall of my cave... 

23576857888_38d914f0ae_b.jpg

Edited by Steve_farrier
  • Like 7