1/48 Eduard Harrier GR.7/9

I'm really glad you started this, ( I have the Hasegawa version ) because of all the useful information it's generated, so I will be watching closely for tips, I have a DJRP for mine and am looking to source, or make some CVR7 pods.

John

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vitaliy said:

James  ,  the all  experts of Harriers gathered in your topic !!!   That's cool  !!!

... and now I'm going to let them all down!  The only CRV-7 I can find is the Belcher ones and they'll cost me minimum $35, then add the Olimp set to get the PavewayIV as I can't find any others, and I'm looking at over $100 just for the weapons I need. :( 

Does anyone know if they'd ever sit with the Terma and SNIPER, plus fuel tanks and then empty rails for the rest, because I think that's realistically as close as I'm going to be able to get...

please keep the tips, hints and suggestions coming, but it'll be a few days due to other commitments before I get a chance to make any more progress on this increasingly daunting challenge.

Thanks again all that have contributed so far. I really do appreciate it.

James

Look at this file for what's available for 1/48th scale Harriers - it's only a few months out of date, but I will be updating it later this year after the Kinetic T-bird is released ... http://www.harriersig.org.uk/models/kits48.pdf

L'Arsenal do Paveway IVs (re AC 4833 5.95 Euros for a pair), but you're right, I've only seen Belcher Bits for CRV-7s. You could probably scratch build the CRV-7s if necessary - I'm sure we can get you the dimensions and a few photos for you to do so. 

I've not seen photos of the configuration you suggest for Herrick, but ZG501 when with 41(R) Sqdn was testing out this configuration in the UK! I have seen a jet with 4X Paveway IV, TERMA, DJRP, Sniper, Fuel tanks and BOLs if that helps (serial not known).

Does it matter though? It's your model. Sure someone will criticise, but remember criticism says as much about the critic as it does the criticised.

HTH

• Thanks 1

@ChocksAway, that is fantastic, thank you. Just to clarify, you're saying that ZG501 flew and therefore parked up with just the parts I have? 

I small update, but a fair amount of work (at least for me) to get here. The wings are on, well the largest part of them, as well as the LERX. Terrible fit, and really tested me. Not sure I liked it, or the result. I wasn't sure where to remove plastic, but a fair amount needed to come off to make it all fit. I've then used some filler to try and smooth the joins as much as I could without losing all the detail. Another first for me is rescribing panel lines. I had a small go earlier in the build, but I'd lost a lot during this exercise and it was necessary. That coupled with the fact the lines were apparently wrong originally according to some of the other great threads on here that I'm using as a guide.  I've also learnt not to glue small sticky up photo-etch parts on early in the build, as I've now lost all the external fins on the nose! :rage:

Once again, I want to thank everyone for their help so far. It's very daunting, but invaluable for me.

36282712691_e371bec865_c.jpg

36251058082_706b408285_c.jpg

36251058082_706b408285_c.jpg

• Like 3

James

In response to your question "Does anyone know if they'd ever sit with the Terma and SNIPER, plus fuel tanks and then empty rails for the rest?" I'm saying I've seen a photo of ZG501 in that configuration taxying whilst with 41(R) Squadron in the UK. It was not on Operation Herrick at the time. It's a possible scenario for Herrick if the jet had been carrying 4 Paveways IVs and dropped all four on a mission. Given two Paveway and two CRV-7 was the standard, four Paveway must have been for a specific mission rather than CAS. Folks who were out on Herrick are best placed to answer this, not me I'm afraid. CRV-7 pods are brought back rather than jettisoned I believe - but you need a Harrier armourer to give you chapter and verse on this subject.

If you've not already done so, I suggest you download this document before completing the rest of the build.

• Thanks 1

Hi James,

I agree with Graham, buy the PWIVs and make the CRV-7s!  I have not seen any Op Herrick photos of aircraft without bombs or CRV-7s; unless the bombs have been dropped.  If the rockets have also been fired then the CRV-7s frangible heads would have been blown off leaving the centre and rear sections of the unit under the pylon.  So, the cheapest option is just to fit 'empty' CRV-7s made as outlined below...

In 48th scale the dimensions of the 19-shot CRV-7s as made by Belcher are:

External Diameter: >> 8mm or 11/32" - Evergreen make plastic tubing to this size, Ref: 231 (https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/14-polysytrene-tubes) cost £4.99 plus P+P from Hannants or Transport Models (Preston)

Lengths: Centre section >> 19mm or 1 3/16"; rear section aft of rocket holder end plate (hollow) >> 6mm or 1/4", curvature happens over last 2.5mm

Nose cone length >>8mm or 11/32" - it would be easier to make this from 8mm plastic rod rather than use filler inside the tubing; even milliput fine filler is likely to leave you with a step between it and the plastic; though lots of coats of paint and sanding with fine sanding sticks should do the trick to hide the line.  

Pylon mounting points >> at 9mm and 15.5mm back from start of centre section 

Oh, you'll need some sanding sticks too - coarse, fine, 3-in-1 polisher.  Flexible and MDC are good makers.  You can use a scalpel blade to scribe the joints on the CRV-7 if you don't have a scribing tool; use several layers off masking tape to provide a raised edge around the tube.

How to make the 19 empty tubes inside the CRV-7s?  Don't!  Use two discs of styrene sheet to fill the front and rear of the centre section of the tube, paint them aluminium and then using black paint and your best steady hand paint 19 black dots on each end.  That's what I'd do as I'll not be spending ages trying to see daylight through 19 empty holes!  (Ok, 38 for the two pods.)

Sadly, this hobby is not as cheap these days as it once was.  I often get one resin item and then look to replicate it in plastic.  Things like Sniper, Terma, DJRP and CRV-7s are easy to do once you have sourced the rod or tubing needed.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ChocksAway said:

James

In response to your question "Does anyone know if they'd ever sit with the Terma and SNIPER, plus fuel tanks and then empty rails for the rest?" I'm saying I've seen a photo of ZG501 in that configuration taxying whilst with 41(R) Squadron in the UK. It was not on Operation Herrick at the time. 

That's what I thought you meant, just seemed like the perfect answer to my dilemma. I might still take a punt at scratch building the CRVs, but knowing I've never done anything like it,  would rather a nice parked up harrier based on a real one as much as possible. I'm not set on it being in Afghanistan, so a really nice compromise.

6 hours ago, ChocksAway said:

If you've not already done so, I suggest you download this document before completing the rest of the build.

This doc has been sitting permanently open on my PC since it got linked near the start. It's incredible, but for me a little daunting.

• 1 month later...

This thread seems to have dropped off my Activity Streams but I've found it again so please don't give up. I have several kits which I've started and got frustrated with ( most notably a Dragon 1/32 Mustang, which is a real beast ) and I just put them away, sometimes for several months, and when I pick them up again I find that they don't look as bad as I thought.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

I wish I'd found this thread sooner:.I started my Revell boxing of this kit last week and guess who followed the manufacturer's instructions for fuselage assembly.  I'm really glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with the ventral panel near the air brake well. I've got Eduard and Hasegawa examples to do too: hopefully they'll be easier with all of the information in this thread.

• Like 1

Hello James,

Very nice job on this one, I have the Revell version of this Hasegawa kit !

But as I'm starting a FRS.1, the GR7 stay on the shelf for the while.

Will mark your thread and thank to @Vitaliy for the tips!

A good harrier too he did make !

Aaaand may the force be all of you !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I'm working my way through a build of Tamiya's P-47D Bubbletop, and thoroughly enjoying it. Once I've finished it, and have it under my belt as a success I will return to this. Just needed something that would go my way and not be such a complicated build. 

I'm at a point with the Harrier where I'm needing to think about what gets assembled and masked, assembled and left, and what gets painted first as a sub assembly and I couldn't figure out what the answers were. It then just sat there taking up bench space and giving me a feeling of despair! I think it's just a case of modeller's block and I'm keen to finish it... Eventually. :)

2 hours ago, James B said:

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I'm working my way through a build of Tamiya's P-47D Bubbletop, and thoroughly enjoying it. Once I've finished it, and have it under my belt as a success I will return to this. Just needed something that would go my way and not be such a complicated build. 

I'm at a point with the Harrier where I'm needing to think about what gets assembled and masked, assembled and left, and what gets painted first as a sub assembly and I couldn't figure out what the answers were. It then just sat there taking up bench space and giving me a feeling of despair! I think it's just a case of modeller's block and I'm keen to finish it... Eventually. :)

Hello James,

Of course it is !

That's why I just have so many kits started and in various stage of building !

However, I feel a little bit inadequate when I look at some modellers who start a kit and finish it !

Then and only then, they start another one ! Respect !

But finally, modelling is and must stay a pleasure, so each and every one follow his own way

Is'nt it ??

Have a good modelling time.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 8/2/2017 at 7:25 AM, James B said:

Wow, thank you @NG899, @Kirk and @Vitaliy. Really appreciate all the help you, and others are providing here. I'm extremely daunted by it all, and have no idea how to proceed, but I'll see how I go. 

I'm wanting to represent a Afghanistan aircraft, and am underway with a GR9 build, although I don't think I'm too far to back track and go GR7. Do any of you know any good quality decals that would represent this era. I was going to just use the kit ones as they're cartograf, but I guess I might as well do this properly. Obviously Op Telic would have been GR7, but from what I've read online the GR9s did get deployed to Afghanistan prior to being scrapped. If so, were they equipped with the SNIPER and TERMA I have? In addition to these and the weapons in the kit, should I be looking at aftermarket stuff for a full compliment? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks again.

ps. @Vitaliy, I have been following your build but cannot hope to get anywhere near the standard you're achieving and wouldn't even know where to begin! It's looking great and I'm truely in awe.

Wow, thank you @NG899, @Kirk and @Vitaliy. Really appreciate all the help you, and others are providing here. I'm extremely daunted by it all, and have no idea how to proceed, but I'll see how I go. 

I'm wanting to represent a Afghanistan aircraft, and am underway with a GR9 build, although I don't think I'm too far to back track and go GR7. Do any of you know any good quality decals that would represent this era. I was going to just use the kit ones as they're cartograf, but I guess I might as well do this properly. Obviously Op Telic would have been GR7, but from what I've read online the GR9s did get deployed to Afghanistan prior to being scrapped. If so, were they equipped with the SNIPER and TERMA I have? In addition to these and the weapons in the kit, should I be looking at aftermarket stuff for a full compliment? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks again.

ps. @Vitaliy, I have been following your build but cannot hope to get anywhere near the standard you're achieving and wouldn't even know where to begin! It's looking great and I'm truely in awe.

James any up date ?

Thanks again.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:46 PM, fallmonk said:

James any up date ?

I'm afraid to say there isn't. She went onto the shelf of despair, and I haven't had the heart or strength to go back to her yet. Since my last update I've become a father, just 6 weeks ago today in fact. So priorities in the short term have meant I have time only for short stints on the bench. I've managed to get a lot of work done on easier builds such as my Thunderbirds kits, and currently finishing up weathering the Tamiya Dambuster built OOB, to hang in my boy's bedroom.  His name is Barnes, so seemed fitting. :)

I do intend to come back to this build, but timing needs to be right to ensure I don't just muck it up, or shove it straight back on the shelf. I'll watch the video you linked when I get a chance and hopefully it will be the push in the right direction I need.

• Like 2

Congrats James!!

And welcome to the (modeling) world Barnes!!!

You will find time again eventually if you are allowed any modeling space...

Good luck!

Edited by exdraken
  • Thanks 1

I finished the Lancaster at the weekend and have pulled out all the parts of this build to get an idea of where I got to. I think I am basically at the painting part, assuming I'm happy with a not perfect build. There's some dodgy joins between parts that could really do with more work. I just don't want to get bogged down with trying to fix everything, because it was a slippery slope that led to it getting put back in the box last time. I might tidy up the worst hit parts and just make do, forging forward to getting paint down on it. 

I began by looking at what I'd need to do to start laying down a primer, and obviously the cockpit needs to be sealed up. There were a few small parts that needed to be painted up and glued in, but worst of all the canopy has a dirty great seam running down the center. First time dealing with this, and I don't have the equipment to fix it up. Luckily I got a voucher for my birthday for an online store that sells some modelling supplies. So Tamiya coarse and finish pastes, as well as 2000 grit paper are on their way to me... as well as a bf-109... I couldn't resist!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally built up the courage to make a start.  this is what I was met with, a box of bits, and a mostly assembled, but a little battered Harrier.

29255573677_cccd074dcb_c.jpg

44192209161_967c7de067_c.jpg

I couldn't quite work out what needed to be done with the exception of the cockpit. As mentioned previously, it had a horrible seam running up the centre, which with my new tools I made light work of. Then while admiring my work, I decided to drop the front section of the canopy, followed by a swift foot down to push my chair back to look for it. Said foot inevitably found the canopy faster than my eyes and cracked it a little. Off to a great start!  I've repaired it as best I can, but will have to live with the slight mark in it.

I glued the photo etc to the inside, and masked the outside and got it glued down.  I then masked the intakes, and the undercarriage internal sections, and now she sits awaiting some time with the airbrush.

29255573457_ed16a3e180_c.jpg

44192208821_77be08032a_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1