1/48 Eduard Harrier GR.7/9

With the hawk awaiting a full bottle of primer to arrive, and a week of annual leave in hand, it's time to get a second aircraft onto the bench. The Hawk was an OOB build to get me by, but this Harrier has a few extras to test me and so I can learn a few things as I go.

I've gone with the Eduard rebox of what I believe is the Hasegawa Harrier. I've picked up some Brassin and Eduard accessories as you can see, They include a THERMA poem Sniper ATP, UK RBF tags and a step ladder. Although I'm left wondering if the UK use(d) ladders like this?

36036433306_5c86b8a233_z.jpg

The set comes with Cartograf decals for the following 6 designs:

35907280862_2ea997d04f_z.jpg

As well as the standard array of sprues:

36036433036_9b30a33e62_z.jpg

It also comes with a correct resin seat, to frames of photo-etch parts (one in full colour), new wheels and a sheet of pre cut masks.

35907280232_03dd590000_z.jpg

Cheers

James

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Looks like a nice project, which colour scheme will you go for?

I'm really not sure...

I really like the snow camo. Equally I was going to try and complete an example of each aircraft type that took part in Operation Telic. However, it was only GR7s that were around during op Telic, and I have the SNIPER to use, and don't really want to waste that. It was only fitted to the GR9s, which then limits me to the 2 GR9 schemes, neither of which is in combat op pattern as far as I can tell.

Edited by James B

I have settled on the GR.9A, ZG 478/68 No. 41 (R) Squadron scheme - top right of the 6 featured above. 

I have made a bit of a start on the kit in between finishing up the hawk.

At this point it needs some primer and the cockpit painting prior to the coloured photo-etch and decals being added.

36185421565_8a3bd6ef6d_z.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work so far. Take your time with the assembly of the nose to fuselage, particularly the panel just aft of the cockpit. This area can be a bit of a nuisance, have a read through some online builds for a bit of guidance here.

Eng

• Like 1

Thanks Eng, appreciate the heads up.  

Reading through some of the other builds, I see I'm not alone regarding colour choice. I really only have access to the AK and MIG products (limited choice) and the full complement of Vallejo Model, Game and Air options.  That said, I can't find anyone mentioning any of these as having a colour with a good similarity to the "Gray" for inside the cockpit C317 and the "Dark Seagrey" C331.  I was hoping I might get away with either Dark Ghost Grey FS.36320 or Medium Grey FS.35237 as I have both of these in my stash from an AK set for modern US aircraft. After all the paints etc weather differently, and lighting and scale make a difference. I just can't tell how off-colour these are, and if it's enough to warrant needing different paint?

I've looked at a lot of photos of the subject and I can't tell to be honest. That said, in some photos the tail looks silver and not white, and in others it looks white with no hint that it could be silver. This is a good example IMHO of why photos aren't going to be a solution for me. :( Any help is always appreciated.

A bit of an update after some work on the cockpit this morning.  All the photo etch parts are now in, and I'm quite impressed. Lots of detail and colour, adding some depth and interest to it all. 

36041978612_f05c07a1f2_z.jpg

36167455156_53d09d4b07_z.jpg

• Like 4

Proper pedantry here, but those displays are pretty bogus (dunno where that word came from - haven't even watched Bill & Ted all the way through);

The right hand MFD is displaying the radar screen...and the UK Harriers had no radar. The central UFC (Up Front Controller) is pretty much all black push buttons with illuminated numerals (they glow green under the control of the Internal Lighting Panel + the occasional panel specific brightness control) and flanked by the caution and warning lights which when not illuminated appear almost black. These are clearly the responsibility of the aftermarket bits manufacturer and I'm not pointing fingers, particularly as all the extra "colour" (grey) can make a model look more interesting - just thought you/others might like to know.

If you are feeling like dipping the hairy stick in at this stage (ooh, err Mrs) then the panels beneath the MFDs (weapons panel on the left, fuel panel on the right) and on the pedestal beneath the UFC (sensor control panel, fuse panel, CRS selector) are the same charcoal black as pretty much everything else. Gear control (nice to see in 3D) has a partly clear section which is illuminated red when in transit so looks a bit pinkish when not lit. Few little grey buttons on the throttle grip. The gaitor around the control column is actually grey but usually pretty grubby.

Enjoying your progress nevertheless. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Kirk

• Like 2

That's really useful information Kirk, thank you. I will see what I can do. 

I see from this image: http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/British-Aerospace-Harrier-GR9/1880256 

that it's a map display on the right hand side. I think it's beyond my skill to attempt to rectify what is on the screens and as you say, it does bring some colour to the cockpit. 

I will attempt to correct the gear lever and the throttle base and the bottom of the panel as described though. 

Cheers

james

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:32 PM, James B said:

I see from this image: http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/British-Aerospace-Harrier-GR9/1880256 

that it's a map display on the right hand side. 

Both displays are actually multi-function. Press the menu button in the centre bottom row and you are presented with a bunch of options about what to display. It's not unusual to be displaying the Engine page on the right hand display, although you can have a selection of emergency check lists, weapons display, navigation (an HSD on steroids) or even a copy of the HUD with the forward-looking infra-red (FLIR) superimposed. Depends on what you're doing and what you need to know. All a bit irrelevant to your model but I thought you might be interested. With a lot of luck, maybe even Eduard might be interested...

While I'm on a roll, be a bit cautious about that ladder I see in your stash. Whilst used extensively on the Sea Harriers, the Harrier II has a slightly different arrangement; there's a step that drops down when the canopy opens that, in conjunction with 3 kick down steps, gives access from the right hand side, although typical entry whilst deployed is from an almost conventional step ladder on the left. Most of the pictures you'll find of Harriers at Wittering or Cottesmore show them with a more substantial platform type aluminium entry steps, again on the left. I've never seen a model of this most typical type though; I have a sketch somewhere if you fancy scratch building.

D'oh! just bothered reading and realised you asked about this in your 1st post. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer this weekend, but I hope that answered your question.

Kirk

• Like 3

On 7/29/2017 at 10:39 AM, Bodmin said:

Looking great. Regardless of accuracy I'd love to have one of my cockpits looking like that.

Thanks Bodmin, I really like how bright and eye catching it is, but I am a tad disappointed that Eduard didn't bother to do their research as they are offering what is essentially marketed as a premium product. Nevertheless, it is still really very detailed.

18 hours ago, Kirk said:

Both displays are actually multi-function. Press the menu button in the centre bottom row and you are presented with a bunch of options about what to display. It's not unusual to be displaying the Engine page on the right hand display, although you can have a selection of emergency check lists, weapons display, navigation (an HSD on steroids) or even a copy of the HUD with the forward-looking infra-red (FLIR) superimposed. Depends on what you're doing and what you need to know. All a bit irrelevant to your model but I thought you might be interested. With a lot of luck, maybe even Eduard might be interested...

Really appreciate the info. Please keep it coming, and point out anything else that could be wrong etc as I go. I'm not skilled, and am pretty new to all of this, but I am doing it to improve.

This applies to anyone else reading this as well, @eng I'm looking at you, please please keep the tips and tricks coming. What might be obvious to you, is probably news to me!If there's anything you'd paint a certain colour, or a certain way, or any tools or products worth trying out, I'm all ears. Same applies to any aftermarket parts I should get, bearing in mind I'm ploughing on with this and live in New Zealand, so postage from most parts of the world takes a wee while.

18 hours ago, Kirk said:

While I'm on a roll, be a bit cautious about that ladder I see in your stash. Whilst used extensively on the Sea Harriers, the Harrier II has a slightly different arrangement; there's a step that drops down when the canopy opens that, in conjunction with 3 kick down steps, gives access from the right hand side, although typical entry whilst deployed is from an almost conventional step ladder on the left. Most of the pictures you'll find of Harriers at Wittering or Cottesmore show them with a more substantial platform type aluminium entry steps, again on the left. I've never seen a model of this most typical type though; I have a sketch somewhere if you fancy scratch building.

D'oh! just bothered reading and realised you asked about this in your 1st post. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer this weekend, but I hope that answered your question.

Kirk

Better late than never ;) I did wonder, but couldn't find any other aftermarket steps/ladders that seemed correct. I relied on Hannants "related products" a fair bit tbh. Are there any examples of these ladders being used at all, or will it be complete nonsense for me to use it?  If so, no worries, but I would be interested to know what aircraft these were used for in the R.A.F. if any?

Anyway, not much to update you all on. It's looking a bit more harrier shaped now though.

35446619064_e27814c1e8_b.jpg

Edited by James B
Corrected image size
  • Like 1

Another small update, as I seem to have spent a heck of a lot of time just placing 3 small photo etch parts, and scratching my head and looking at other builds to help figure out how best to deal with the (pre-warned by eng) part behind the cockpit... Unfortunately, either mu Google-fu has eluded me or all builds detailing this section used photo bucket :(

35470884404_276534f645_b.jpg

The photo etch parts (excuse the messiness underneath and the surplus CA) this has since been sanded down and rescribed, although my describing leaves a lot to be desired.

35499092063_e03ec70c83_c.jpg

35911393510_f6daf9dc2a_c.jpg

• Like 1

Look busy, Nick's here.

I'm sure it's covered in the (excellent) reference doc that Nick has just posted but in case you miss it, watch out for that big vent above the forward part of the right hand formation light. Iirc, that's a environment condition (i.e. hot air) outlet connected with the radar system found on the AV-8B+ and can be trimmed to skin level and filled.

The PE angle of attack probe isn't as convincing as the others (what CA? I can hardly see it :) ) mostly because the real thing is a lot less 2D. Sitting in my neglected wip ZD318 box is a blunted pin that I was planning to use as a far more realistic alternative. The real thing is pretty much conical with some very small slots in its leading edge. It kinda weather-vanes itself to align with the airstream thus giving the AoA. If you want to avoid taking someone's eye out with a pin in your model, there is a cover for this that get's fitted at some point post flight. Big and red and blunt. Think there is one on ebay at the moment.

Whilst the PE is nicely fitted over the forward pitch reaction control vent, Eduard have again fallen a little short. The real thing is a ribbed (for your pleasure), curved shutter which closes off the duct when the stick is in or forward of the neutral position, opening only when the pilot pitches up. In conjunction with a clever valve linked to the nozzle angle control, this means that reaction control bleed air only comes out of there when the aircraft is in or approaching jet-borne flight. Upshot is that the Hasegawa moulded hole basically just needs to be blocked off with a bit of ribbed styrene unless you're doing some fancy-pants hovering/maintenance diorama. Bit hard to address now, so I won't say anything if you don't.

Conscious that I keep on chipping in after the fact, I urge you to study Nick's (did I mention excellent?) document as it covers off everything you might want to improve before it is too late. Unless you are Vitaliy, in which case you'll want access to BAE Systems' drawing vault.

Kirk

• Thanks 2

Wow, thank you @NG899, @Kirk and @Vitaliy. Really appreciate all the help you, and others are providing here. I'm extremely daunted by it all, and have no idea how to proceed, but I'll see how I go. 

I'm wanting to represent a Afghanistan aircraft, and am underway with a GR9 build, although I don't think I'm too far to back track and go GR7. Do any of you know any good quality decals that would represent this era. I was going to just use the kit ones as they're cartograf, but I guess I might as well do this properly. Obviously Op Telic would have been GR7, but from what I've read online the GR9s did get deployed to Afghanistan prior to being scrapped. If so, were they equipped with the SNIPER and TERMA I have? In addition to these and the weapons in the kit, should I be looking at aftermarket stuff for a full compliment? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks again.

ps. @Vitaliy, I have been following your build but cannot hope to get anywhere near the standard you're achieving and wouldn't even know where to begin! It's looking great and I'm truely in awe.

• Thanks 1

No problem.

This access ladder is the kind you'd certainly find on a GR3, and I *think* they're the same ones used later...

With a bit of luck and a fair wind, there will be a ladder expert along soon who will educate us all on the history of boarding aircraft and quite why the inbuilt steps on the Harrier are on the right. Something to do with driving on the left no doubt.

Kirk

PS/ Just noticed the Flightpath ladder is 1:72. What was I thinking? Perhaps Mr Parkins could be persuaded to include 1:48 on his next production run?

PPS/ @Vitaliy uses dark magic and incantations; I suspect he hovers like Yoda rather than sleeping.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Kirk! 'tenshun!

Hi James, Sniper and Terma were fitted to the GR.9As which participated in the last year of Joint Force Harrier's deployment on Op Herrick.  Both were fitted on special under fuselage adapters/pylons; Sniper on the port, Terms on the starboard.  Terms came later onto the scene, so before it's arrival the strake was fitted to provide lift improvement.  A Digital Joint Reconnaissance Pod (DJRP) was often carried on the centre line.  By Terma's arrival the standard operational fit was:

Outboard pylons: Paveway IV (PWIV)

Next pylons inboard: 19-shot CRV-7 rocket pod

Outrigger pylons: BOL rails, without 'winders

Inboard pylons: fuel tanks

Decals for Herrick aircraft other than "Michelle" and "Lucy" which, iirc, the Olimp weapons set has included, are best sourced from the Harrier Disbandment schemes decals sheet which AIRframe produced and which may be available from Hannants.  

As Squadron markings were not carried on ops, you can make up any serial and fin code from there for Herrick GR.9As and get a full stencil set too; though be careful on that... the grey ones which should be used ended being printed a purple colour as the artist had matched them to a photo taken in the hangar under sodium lights which did indicate they were purple rather than dark grey!  The problem is easily solved by applying somewhere between a grey wash and drying brushing over the decals; a technique which could equally be used to tone down the black decals provided which were used on the retro came GR.9A.

Have a browse on various websites, like airliners.net and UK airshows forum, to find photos of the aircraft you'd like to model.

Hope that helps for now James.

Cheers

Nick

Stand easy Kirk. :-)

Edited by NG899
  • Thanks 1

James, just a thought, contact Key Publishing and see if they have a copy of their excellent "Herrick Harriers" supplement produced by Alan Warnes in 2010; well worth getting!!!

Equally, I'd recommend a certain book "what Andy Donovan and I wrote" on the GR.9 and T.12, published by Double Ugly.  If you're going to make more Harriers, it would be worth considering.  If this is your only one, maybe not.

Link two more info about it on BM: 

Cheers

Nick

• Thanks 1