Steve Kinser Sprint Car

One that's been on the shelf for a while, a car that we don't see here in the UK. Quite a few parts, interesting and satisfying build. I couldn't find any Hoosier tyre decals in the UK, so did a search on Google for the real sprint car and found that they also used Yellow Goodyear Eagles. Searched my decal box of spares and found two for the rears.

One thing I couldn't quite understand was that all the large major parts were chromed, that had to be painted, so out with the oven cleaner and hey presto!

photo5-th.jpg

photo6-th.jpg

photo7-th.jpg

photo8-th.jpg

photo9-th.jpg

• Like 7

Fantastic build.

These sprint cars are completely bonkers.

I'll have to keep an eye out for one of these turning up on evil-bay...

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks Alan, yes I bought this on ebay, the only place I could find one. But now I've found another UK internet shop 'Kits for Cash' they have some interesting USA kits, some brand new and some pre-owned. Quite a few of mine recently have been 'pre-owned' or 'already started', very cost effective as I've retired and want to continue with the hobby I've had for 60 years! 

• Like 1

Nice! I live in Indiana, Steve's home state. Know both he and his wife Dana. Have watched him race countless times. Used to design merchandise for him as they got all their shirts and nick-knacks produced by the company I was a graphic designer for. Sprint cars are anachronistic machines and very visceral to both watch and drive. Kind of a 'you have to experience it to understand it' kind of thing. To put it into perspective, the modern sprint car weighs less than 1000 pounds and has a better power to weight ratio than a modern F-1 car. But, of course, they truly do suck at turning right.

Thanks Lowbrow, and all the info about the driver , wife, team etc! Thanks for all that. 

Edited by PatW
  • Like 1

Oh, and it's not obvious from the kit but they can control that top wing from the cockpit. Adjusting it mainly to tune the amount of grip they're looking for in the corners and balance it with top speed at the end of the straights.

Thanks again Lowbrow for further insight on how these cars work!

• 3 months later...

Very nice model!

I love sprint cars.  Anyone who hasn't seen a sprint car show is really missing out - with apologies to posters from UK/Europe.

Even so, if you ever get a chance to see sprint cars race in USA, Canada, NZ or Australia, you won't be disappointed,

They are an awesome spectacle!

:goodjob:

Thanks kapam. Yes as I say we don't any here in the UK, even on TV!